FORUMS: list search recent posts

My thoughts on the FCPX FAQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Harrington
My thoughts on the FCPX FAQ
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:29:50 pm

For me, the FAQ was a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately it raised more questions. Please add yours to the comments and I'll see if I can get them in someone's hands.

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/5349/more-questions-raised-by-the-final-c...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
Re: My thoughts on the FCPX FAQ
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:58:51 pm

It matters not. Apple in continuing its stance on the discontinuation of FCS 3 has shown to the industry, its approach as a vendor to the film industry is incompatible with the industry's requirements.

Too much time has now passed on this decision. The industry will move on and Apple will not be a proper player any more.

The push-me-pull-you should stop and we should focus our efforts on bettering our business and getting back to work.

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:00:53 pm

Well... I've always kept my eggs in more than one basket.

I guess I'm looking to know if I need to move on, or if they reallly do care.

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:04:48 pm

[Richard]

I guess I'm looking to know if I need to move on, or if they reallly do care.

You bring up a very good question.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:09:48 pm

Richard I just finished reading this...

http://bit.ly/jWcpsa

...It really gives a well grounded history of the lead up to this and why we simply should move on and not continue to revisit the collective conclusion that has occurred this week. Apple's near complete modality shift is not in concert with our business requirements.

--

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:09:36 am

I hope you found that helpful.

I was tired of constantly answering the
Why are you mad (it's a version 1)
Why are you mad (you still have FCP7)

etc. questions.

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:38:37 pm

For pro editors it's time to move on. Avid or Premiere at the moment. Apple's done in this market. They've kicked us to the curb. I wouldn't look back.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:49:36 pm

[Andrew Stone] "It matters not. Apple in continuing its stance on the discontinuation of FCS 3 has shown to the industry, its approach as a vendor to the film industry is incompatible with the industry's requirements.

Too much time has now passed on this decision. The industry will move on and Apple will not be a proper player any more.
"

Again, it seems ludicrously unlikely to me that in a year or two, any non-trivial number of people will still be evaluating FCP X in terms of how Apple handled its introduction, rather than its then-current suitability for their uses. Maybe you could argue that people should do this (though my counterpoint would be that once this transition is done, there probably won't be nearly this much drama for the rest of the decade), but the phenomenon of temporal discounting means they mostly won't.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:01:38 pm

Chris the film industry operates like an organism. If there has been a major form of cell disruption, the anti-bodies will remove it.

Goes something like this... Major production houses go through a process of deciding on their workflow, it is based on a myriad of factors. Some financial, others involve risk mitigation, insurance considerations and so on. Once a product or vendor is deemed to be not suitable it goes and the effect will ripple. This has been played out many times over the history of the industry.

You are looking at it from largely a freelancer point of view of which many of us are but the industry rides largely on the business decisions of big production houses and standard industry workflows. FCP will quickly be removed from the workflow simply due to Apple's decision to not allow future licenses of FCS/FCP.

Apple can choose what it wants to do but so can the film industry and do it will.

--

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:04:26 pm

I think you underestimate the significance of the bitterness and loathing this has engendered in many users.

All the best,

Tom

Class on Demand DVDs "Complete Training for FCP7," "Basic Training for FCS" and "Final Cut Express Made Easy"
Author: "Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials" and "Final Cut Express 4 Editing Workshop"

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:13:17 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "I think you underestimate the significance of the bitterness and loathing this has engendered in many users."

I think I've seen a lot of Internet freak-outs related to Apple announcements over the years, and have a pretty good idea of what the long-term implications tend to be. In fact, people's long-term projections of the impact of this announcement may be even more overstated than usual, because a lot of the bitterness is a consequence of people believing Apple is deliberately abandoning the pro market, and it is my opinion that Apple is not actually doing this and future events will make that obvious.

--

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:17:19 pm

I honestly don't care if they are deliberately abandoning the Pro market or not. But looking at Final Cut Pro X the way it stands today and with an uncertain future....our facility is switching all of our FCP edit suites to Avid. It was a pretty easy decision actually.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:28:37 pm

Have to disagree. It's clear from their behavior that they have abandoned the pro market. On June 21st they killed all their pro video products.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:30:18 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Have to disagree. It's clear from their behavior that they have abandoned the pro market. On June 21st they killed all their pro video products."

People keep stating this as a fact, but the justification for it grows thinner by the day.

Well, we'll see who's right, eventually.

--

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:43:16 pm

"People keep stating this as a fact, but the justification for it grows thinner by the day."

That sir, is incorrect. The only thing that grows thinner everyday is the number of people waiting around to see what happens next. You mistake the fact that the new market that Apple is attracting is going to keep this product viable for an industry.

There are a few, like myself, who will have a wait and see attitude, but a clear majority have already moved on. No matter how great the product might be in a year, the direction has already changed for a large number of people in government, educational and professional businesses. Winning them back is going to be very difficult. This move is going to have a real cost in time and money for many, many institutions. That hardship will not be forgotten in 2 years.

That being said, I really hope this thing does evolve into the "next big thing", but really the possibility of that is what actually "grows thinner by the day".

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:49:29 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "That sir, is incorrect."

No, it's not. Immediately after the release people were casting doubt on whether Apple would ever support pro workflow features like XML exporting. We now know that Apple has been working on this features. And the magnetic timeline seems like less and less of a 'non-pro' feature the more one understands it.

--

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:02:06 pm

What they said was they are going too (at some unspecified time) add XML EXPORT. Read it again and tell me where it says XML import? Look around friend, FCPX is a consumer product aimed at a future where, in all likelihood, more and more consumers will be participating in this video industry. That's all well and good, the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned. But the fact is, this product will probably never again be a "professional" product.

The world didn't change when this release happened, but this is certainly writing on the wall. Please understand one thing VERY clearly, the function that most people define this product as "professional" is the proliferation of deployment by the industry. It will never see the market share that it had on June 20th again. What it MAY see is a larger market share of a NEW market, prosumers who find new and interesting ways to use video to make a buck. I say more power too them, open up some doors for us crusty old curmudgeon's, that always been welcomed. But it's going to be another generation before big business ever has a modicum of trust in Apple for mission critical operations.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:16:57 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "What they said was they are going too (at some unspecified time) add XML EXPORT. Read it again and tell me where it says XML import?"

People keep playing this game. First it was "It has no XML export and Apple will never add it because it's a consumer app". Then it was "Yes, Pogue says they told him they were adding it, but it's not validly source information" and/or "OK, so maybe they're planning to add it, but it might be a long time". Now it's "Sure, they're planning to add this feature in a few weeks, but that doesn't prove they're not abandoning pros, because they haven't said anything about this other feature".

The truth is, there are a whole bunch of people who went into this release already believing Apple didn't care about the pro market. They believed this before FCP X was ever announced, ironically largely because Apple hadn't rewritten Final Cut as a 64-bit Cocoa app yet. But despite the fact that the very existence of FCP X undermined the chief evidence for that belief, they went right into its announcement and release already believing it, and looking for things to validate it.

I've pointed out a bunch of times, FCP X already has a whole mess of features that make no sense in a consumer app. People are ignoring that, focusing on a relatively small number of missing pro features, and then treating Apple's abandonment of the pro market as a fact and making long-term projections from it. But you can't just arbitrarily choose what features you look at. I could use the same methodology to argue FCP 7 wasn't a pro app. Oh, sure, it had deck control, which makes no sense in a consumer app, but many of its effects rendered in an 8-bit color space. That's hardly professional, right?

It's all nonsense. Looking at the entirety of the app and the context surrounding its release, it's fairly clear that FCP X was released when it was because it is useful to some users now, not because Apple believes it has the full feature set it will ever need.

[Marvin Holdman] "It will never see the market share that it had on June 20th again. What it MAY see is a larger market share of a NEW market, prosumers who find new and interesting ways to use video to make a buck."

It's like everyone has completely forgotten the route Final Cut followed into the professional market in the first place.

[Marvin Holdman] "But it's going to be another generation before big business ever has a modicum of trust in Apple for mission critical operations."

It is my belief that you are substantially overestimating the extent to which anyone will care about any of this, if Apple fills in the gaps in the feature set over the next couple of release cycles.

--

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:50:23 pm

What's not to understand? The sale of all their pro video apps has stopped. Period. They have disappeared from the Apple map and Apple website. No FCP, no Color, no DVDSP, no Cinema Tools, no STP. They bought a lot of companies and killed their products, worked them for a while and then shitcanned them. The only app that's left that's still a pro app is Motion, and it's a really great deal, and underpriced in the App Store, but now it's on its lonesome and will probably wither like all the other pro apps Apple has touched. Watch out Logic Pro, you're the next, becoming GarageBand Pro.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:07:46 pm

[Tom Wolsky] "Watch out Logic Pro, you're the next, becoming GarageBand Pro."

Well this actually has already happened, I am moderating an audio forum and lots of Logic users have repeatedly used these wordings for every new release since Apple took over from Emagic.

And what triggered these reactions: It's possible to import your Garageband songs into Logic Pro.

Basically Apple's move with Final Cut, was to be expected. For every free application, included with the Mac, there's a 'pro-sumer' counterpart.

iPhoto - Aperture
Garageband - Logic
iMovie - FCPX

I also think the reactions are a bit premature. Judging from all the metadata stuff in the app, I'd expect some FC server functionality to be build in the application already but it only needs to be enabled.

I do agree though, that's it's a really odd move from Apple to do it like this, while they have a lot of experience with making seemless transitions. It's almost as Steve Jobs gave over the lead to someone else and thought "let's see how they'll do without my intervention"... And now "Hmm, this is not good, I have to search harder for a suitable successor"

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:11:00 pm

I want to add though, that I am also really dissapointed.

I had hoped for a drop-in replacement, with the FCP upgrade, because we're still on FCS 2 and can really use an upgrade to tap into the power of our newer Mac's.

And we still layback to tape as well... (demo's of Adobe of Avid, are also installed!)

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:13:07 pm

Apple killed FC Server last week along with FCS 3.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Jul 1, 2011 at 9:10:03 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "Apple killed FC Server last week along with FCS 3"

I was well aware of this, but I have a hunch we'll see new server functionality being built in FCPX, the database framework is probably already in there, it just needs to be enabled.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:12:17 pm

Apple already Ubilified Logic last year with the "Built For Musicians not Engineers" campaign. That was a slap in the face to all recording engineers because most of them are incredibly proficient musicians but also a statement that this software is no longer for pros.

It is a great program for composing in MIDI. That's it. Audio editing is like pulling your own tooth out with some loose pliers.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54:47 pm

Totally agree with Tom and Andrew here - I think it's over and time to move on. Apple is now a cool consumer products company and not a professional hardware/software company. The crazy thing is they actually achieved a lot when they were Apple Computer - Emmys, Oscars etc all created on their great hardware and software, but those days are numbered and they dont care, they're bigger than ever and don't need us anymore.

But I was thinking though, let's say Apple comes out next week with a major update that adds, multicam and edl import export, and SAN support, would it matter? Do I really want to edit this way? Do I want to be tagging every clip that comes in? Do I want my app telling me a shot is a close-up when actually it's a dolly out that ends in a master? Do I want to use the skimmer or the goofy iMovie select (in/out) tool or never be able to have specific tracks for specific types of files like dialog, efx and music?

Apple has tried to re-invent something that really didn't need re-inventing and I don't care how many features that add in - the new paradigm is NOT better than the old paradigm and the person who greenlit this "new" direction needs to be fired.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:41:40 pm

[Chris Kenny] "...a consequence of people believing Apple is deliberately abandoning the pro market, and it is my opinion that Apple is not actually doing this and future events will make that obvious."
Hi
On the subject of the way events work out ;-)
2003 Steve stands up at the G5 launch and tells us "3GHz within 12 months".
Three years later the G5 (and IBM) are history.

2008 After the roll-out of MobileMe Steve sacks the managers - "why the fcuk doesn't it do that ???"
Three years later MobileMe will be history - iDisk. iWeb etc.

2011 Furor after the summary zero-notice axing of FCS 3, with the App Store telling the world that FCP X has a 2.4 review rating.
Three years later?

My prediction: Before even three years the Mac Pro and all conventional NLE products are axed (summarily, without warning) and FCP X is totally rolled into an iPad app for the new 'professionals', to edit iCloud footage for sale (huge revenue to Apple) from iTunes.

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:45:44 pm

That would be sweet! I have an iPad.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Tom Wolsky
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:52:54 pm

Sounds like a plan. Let's do it.

All the best,

Tom

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:04:14 pm

Yeah, I've been "gesturing" all week! I'm ready.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
Panama City Beach, Fl
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:00:44 pm

[Paul Dickin] "2008 After the roll-out of MobileMe Steve sacks the managers - "why the fcuk doesn't it do that ???"
Three years later MobileMe will be history - iDisk. iWeb etc."

MobileMe has a year long grace period. iDisk and iWeb, although EOL, are still part of the iLife 11 boxed set in the Apple Online Store even though not in the App Store. Shake was still available for a long time after it was EOL.

Even the move from OS9 to OSX had "Classic" and PPC to Intel had "Rosetta."

Heck even the iPhone 3GS is still available for $49 from AT&T.

The odd thing about this is not that the EOLd FCS but that they didn't have grace period. Something about this is certainly different. It does not follow their past patterns on EOL.

It can't be any absurd believe that people would replace FCS with FCPX. There's something else behind this that we don't know about. Claiming it's "Apple arrogance" seems naive.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:33:13 pm

[Chris Kenny] " people believing Apple is deliberately abandoning the pro market, and it is my opinion that Apple is not actually doing this"

Hmmmm I think you have it backwards. The pro market does not constitute much of apple's sales, and neither does their desktops. The announcement of their cloud computing service along with the downgrading of FCP signals their move towards lean client computing...

I see the mac pro being the next thing on the chopping block.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:10:26 am

I don't. The comments posted to my blog and Cow posts over last week or so has made that quite clear.

Return to posts index

John Berpskin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:27:26 pm

I honestly think there are way too many factors out there that have yet to be entered into the equation before anyone can make an educated guess as to where this new version of FCP will go. with Lion and thunderbolt coming out, I see Apple looking to the future of editing instead of merely going with the status quo. Is it a big step? yes. was the launch botched? yes. Does that mean it's a product that has no future - NO! Unless you have a crystal ball, you are merely speculating.

All this speculation on never being accepted/toy/prosumer....I've heard it all before when the original FCP was launched. Also heard it when Premiere was launched.

Bottom line...you just can't tell.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:26:14 am

I wasn't speculating. I was asking more questions I wanted answers to.

On my blog a few more good ones were posted by readers.

Is there a new linear, Colorboard-style vectorscope coming too? What? A linear vectorscope is ridiculous? Well give the color wheels back!

What do you do after you capture with 3rd-party utilities, make an edit, finish & archive the project, then re-visit it for an updated edit and need to batch re-capture the edit from tape? Are you stuck and have to re-capture "manually?" Will there be support for AJA/Black-Magic/Matrox to create a Log & Capture plug-in that works within Final Cut Pro X?

Return to posts index

Scott Shucher
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:27:29 am

What a miserable week it's been. And unproductive to boot, spending way too much time pouring over these Cow postings. Bottom line: FCPX in it's current form will not integrate into my workflow, and there are now better options(Premiere & Avid). What really burns my butt is that for 9 years I've been defending FCP and promoting it as a smarter, more cost effective post production platform than Avid. And as a former Avid editor I truly believe that and still do. I believe the market share trends justified that.

Now I feel like an idiot, ultimately left to swing on the FCP gallows. Not that I feel that FCPX might someday become a usable editing tool--even though my instincts say Apple will never restore all the functionality I need in the software. (Capture from tape, Edit to tape, output to a real broadcast monitor, not a "TV"... Export to QuickTime formats without having to go through Compressor... Lack of Networked Storage)...Yadda, Yadda, Yadda.

What really has pushed me over the edge, is the decision to pull FCS3 without regard to current workflows. As if Apple says it knows our workflows better than we do. As if Apple considers FCS3 to be a toy that can be just taken from a child and replaced with a new toy, regardless of whether it's a better toy or not. You can't argue with need to have let FCS3 remain on the shelves as a viable production option for those heavily invested in it's workflow, until FCPX is mature enough to use(If it will ever get there).

I was just about to pull the trigger on two new Apple 27" displays to replace some older 23" Apple monitors. After the last week and a half, I really don't feel like putting another penny in Apple's pocket. Besides the Viewsonics will save me some $$.

Now, I really do need to get back to work.

MacPro 3.2ghz 8 core, 12 Gbyte RAM, FCP 7.0.1, OS X.5.8
QT7.5.5, Kona3 (v7.1), Atto FC41-ES, 12TB Custom RAID-striped RAID 3.
NVidia Geoforce 8800GT

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
on Jul 1, 2011 at 5:37:51 am

Tom I respect your comments on the cow and have for a while in my readings here, but I Chris I have to agree with you mostly.

I make my living as an editor and on FCS. Sure, I am disappointed, but really like FCP X and have seen tremendous benefits in my workflow and for my job's near-term projects. I don't think that Apple is abandoning the pro. In fact, I have a problem with that term as I think it's a subjective and inconsistent in use. Perhaps Apple is reimagining what that pro (which includes prosumer) editorial space is and making the change now as it projects it's software and hardware goals in the coming years.

As for people jumping ship - it's going to happen without a doubt. Always does and always will as people don't want to accept change and the methods/motives behind it. I believe Apple will make up for those it loses in grand number and FCPX will be a trojan horse app in the long run in the way the iphone and iPad have been. It's been said that the big companies and studios and such will be the only home for pros (in paraphrase) , but as with iphones and iPads, when the vast numbers of people using FCPX and subsequent iterations, it's vast array of third party hooks, and the hardware that people will certainly want, I think it will be the business that will have to cave in to the populous to a certain (not necessarily total) extent. We're seeing that now. The iPhone and iPad has infiltrated business and IT departments where people thought it never would or could because they've become excellent personal devices and business devices. Not necessarily the best, but the preferred. FCP 1-7 had the same affect actually.

Believe me, FCPX did not meet my expectations, but in many ways it exceeded them and gave me a new way to perceive how I leverage information in my editorial workflow. Aside from learning new key commands, this version of FCP is akin to how I felt about Motion when it first came out - I could just work and not have the software in my face so much. I could play and experiment more and focus more on the creativity.

My FCP 7 still works. My Multibridge Pro 2 still works. I am not jumping ship just yet. I am admittedly hopeful and yet still wary of what my or may not come. Though with the power of computers these days, the sophistication of even simple AV and imaging tools, and general accessibility of communication tools and of course the internet, it's increasingly hard for studios to compete with a competent person or persons with their own gear and Apple knows this. Studios of many sizes have already downsized and closed for this very reason.

I like to think that's there's "pros" in many spaces of content creation. As technology levels the playing field even further and will continue to do so, FCP X on it's own doesn't need to be everything, but it Should be accessible to all these spaces via third party hooks. Think of it like iphone/iPad apps. Who would have thought that having mega applications on our desktops that do so much would be trickle down to having simple apps that just do specific things we need done and do it well.

Part of what I love about this industry is that it's constantly changing. That's what makes it fun. That what keeps me learning. Don't get me wrong, I've been looking at that Pr icon in my production suite with an itchy finger, but just out of curiosity to see what other's are talking about. I am having more fun learning FCPX cause it's new and shiny and stuff!

Tangier

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]