FORUMS: list search recent posts

Upgrading Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Martinez
Upgrading Final Cut Pro
on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:33:03 pm

I was curious... Since Apple is coming out with the new Final Cut Pro X.
Is it possible to Upgrade from FCP 6 to FCP X ?
Instead of upgrading to 7 just skip 7 and go right to FCP X from 6...

Return to posts index

Geoff Dills
Re: Upgrading Final Cut Pro
on Apr 21, 2011 at 12:47:10 pm

My guess, as it can only be a guess as they haven't said, everyone pays $299.

Best,
Geoff

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:34:28 pm

At the sneak peak, when Rich Townhill presented the price at the end he specifically said. No upgrades, everyone pays the same price, $299.

Gary
Videoguys recap of the FCPX event http://goo.gl/mHw7V

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 21, 2011 at 1:55:58 pm

Since it's being sold through the App Store, it's virtually certain that from a cost perspective, it'll just be $299 for everyone, regardless of what version of FCP they have or whether they currently own FCP at all. From a technical perspective, it's an entirely different app from FCP 7 and earlier versions, so I doubt it will be doing an "in place" upgrade of earlier versions (the App Store doesn't really support that anyway); it'll probably be a different thing that can live side by side with earlier versions.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:03:43 pm

Nice, thanks for letting me know. I'm pretty sure after it's on the App. Store Apple should be selling the disc. Wonder of Apple is going to make like a FCP Studio 4...

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:03:02 pm

Hey Juan. We met thru Leitner.
Consensus seems to be this is a stand-alone app, new license and serial #, that happens to be priced same as the old FCP upgrades AND Final Cut Express (no doubt to be discontinued now), to make it attractive to FCP users AND newbies. Only reason to upgrade to FCP7 at this point would be to keep a copy of old FCS as a "legacy" app in your toolkit.

Return to posts index

Juan Martinez
on Apr 21, 2011 at 2:25:28 pm

Yea, after I discovered that you dnt have to render on FCP X, I got really Excited!!!. Like.. Finally no more waiting, and waiting for stupid render no more. They say the FCP X has better image quality when you edit.... But will see after I purchase it.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:17:56 am

[Juan Martinez] "Yea, after I discovered that you dnt have to render on FCP X, I got really Excited!!!. Like.. Finally no more waiting, and waiting for stupid render no more"
What do you mean?
FCX is not a magic wand.
Any picture where you change any thing, needs rendering, whatever the application you use. Rendering may be faster, in the background, or with strawberry, but will be rendering now and in any future.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Apr 21, 2011 at 4:40:21 pm

Best advice I've ever heard about upgrading software is from the smart guys in the FCP forum, can't remember who, and this is my paraphrase of what I understood them to mean. Don't upgrade or even mess with a system drive that is working. Instead, clone it and upgrade the clone. That way if something breaks, then you can always use the old system that will definitely work.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 21, 2011 at 11:50:59 pm

There is no upgrade, it's $299 for all.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:44:42 pm

It's not an upgrade at all. It's a new NLE, which will run side by side with any other NLE including FCP 7... I really think most folks who buy FCP X will run both for a while. I seriously doubt FCP X will have every single feature of FCP 7 in it's the first release (multicam is likely not there for example) so when you need to go back you can.

Further I also doubt that you'll be able to open FCP 7 or earlier project files in it. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]