FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple Photos

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Apple Photos
on Feb 5, 2015 at 8:55:13 pm

Just came across this article today: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/photos-for-the-mac-is-clean-fast-connected-and-1...

Looks like it is replacing iPhoto, not Aperture. Thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Apple Photos
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:24:56 pm

Agreed. I never saw anything that hinted at it being an aperture replacement. It's just an upgraded iPhoto designed to sell cloud drive space.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:15:00 pm

[Bret Williams] "Agreed. I never saw anything that hinted at it being an aperture replacement. It's just an upgraded iPhoto designed to sell cloud drive space."

“With the introduction of the new Photos app and iCloud Photo Library, enabling you to safely store all of your photos in iCloud and access them from anywhere, there will be no new development of Aperture. When Photos for OS X ships next year, users will be able to migrate their existing Aperture libraries to Photos for OS X,” reads a statement Apple released to Macworld."

http://www.macworld.com/article/2375212/apple-retires-aperture-and-iphoto-t...

Emphasis mine. Photos is a replacement for both iPhoto and Aperture.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:32:49 pm

Still doesn't say it's a replacement to aperture. I saw the original demo, and it looked like a stripped down iPhoto. So seeing what you've quoted just seems like Apple's way of saying "beginning with the release of Photos, Aperture will be EOL'd and you can move your Aperture libraries to Photos." It doesn't say "where all the functionality of Aperture will be retained."

So Ok, it IS a replacement for Aperture. A crappy one.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:40:34 pm

[Bret Williams] "So Ok, it IS a replacement for Aperture. A crappy one."

Ah, I misunderstood what you meant previously. Yeah, from a product standpoint Photos is a replacement for iPhoto and Aperture, but from a feature standpoint Photos, at least out of the gate, doesn't look like it will be a good substitute for Aperture.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:49:11 pm

I meant that I personally never saw anything written or demoed that made ME think it was a replacement for Aperture. Aparently, as you pointed out, you can convert your aperture library to Photos. But I think you could have a synced iPhoto/Aperture library in the past anyway.

I use iPhoto for cataloging every digital photo I've ever taken. I don't think 5gigs in the cloud is going to cut it. I'm not buying any cloud space either. So we'll see how this goes down. My current iPhoto library is 449gigs spanning 1998-Present. Yeah, Apple, let me just buy half a terabyte please.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:08:28 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Feb 7, 2015 at 4:24:37 am

You CAN store your photos off line (local storage) or in iCloud. iCloud is not required. If you use iCloud, all of your devices will automatically sync to the latest accepted edit in Photos. That is the main advantage of iCloud usage. Not a great model for large RAW images, but for jpgs it could be an advantage as you do not have to manually sync your iPad, MacBook, or iPhone versions. Very good for showing portfolios, targeted projects, etc., no matter which device you have with you.

But you do NOT have to use iCloud for storage if you don't want. I have several Aperture managed Libraries, one is 750GB. That would not be practical to load to iCloud, obviously. I will definitely be giving Photos a try, but will also keep a system or two for Aperture well into the future. It's DAM is far superior to any other, and it works the way I think, no jumping between modules as with LightRoom.

BTW, Aperture will be supported at least through Yosemite, and is continuing to be sold at this time. I have versions of it running on 10.6.8 through latest Mavericks, will be adding a Yosemite boot drive to my 2012 MacPro for the 3.6 latest version of Aperture probably this week. Will upgrade that drive to Yosemite 10.10.3 that will include Photos when Photos is released, supposedly April, certainly before summer. I think that should hold me for a while. Also take a look look at Capture One by Phase One, it will have much better import of Aperture Libraries than LightRoom, and will allow you to still keep your Aperture Libraries intact and usable.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:30:33 pm

[Bret Williams] "Agreed. I never saw anything that hinted at it being an aperture replacement. It's just an upgraded iPhoto designed to sell cloud drive space."

Looks like you're pretty much on target:

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02/06/new.program.promises.delight.for.iph...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:29:09 pm

They replace everything. Make everything obsolete. Make it impossible to work with what you have worked with in the past. That is their business model.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:44:18 pm

So does anyone see what's coming with FCPX?

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:48:24 pm

Photos is designed to replace iPhoto, your iPhoto library will happily import into Photos. So it's not the best example to tag your doom laden prophecy with Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:58:14 pm

Nevertheless Steve, I stand by my doom laden prophecy. FCPX has not seen a significant update in more than two years. And I don't seen that anyone is using it. Don't get me wrong - I have used it and have found it to work in certain situations. But I am not staking my livelihood on Apple developing this software any further. I would not be surprised to see it just left to die on the vine.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:00:21 pm

I see quite a few people using it Tim, however I do have a slight concern about pace of development!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:07:46 pm

I don't dispute your seeing it over there, but I just don't see it taking hold over here, even in commercials, which would be a good place for it. Also, I am only on one coast and so don't really know what's happening elsewhere. I really think FCPX has potential. But I don't think Apple has the slightest intention of developing it further. If they do, I think they are waiting for a youtube kind of delivery world for all media. And in my estimation that is still about twenty years away.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:36:56 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And in my estimation that is still about twenty years away.
"

That's what the guy told me in Sony school about non-linear editing in 1995. So I guess non-linear is nearly here!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:15:57 am

Yes, and I first saw HD at NAB IN Dallas in 1986. And I was told then that it would be in 80% of households in 1990.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 6, 2015 at 12:17:00 am

By the way - it's still not in 80% of households.

Tim

Return to posts index

Thomas Mathai
on Feb 7, 2015 at 1:08:59 am

>>If they do, I think they are waiting for a youtube kind of delivery world for all media. And in my estimation that is still about twenty years away.<<

That's been available for already a number of years. It may not be universally adopted, but it's readily available.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:38:55 pm

In recent history the only two apps that have nearly abandoned the Mac segment of the NLE world were Adobe Premiere (abandoned it for 3 years or more) and Avid (who quit developing certain products for Mac).

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:31:27 am
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Feb 6, 2015 at 2:31:51 am

More than two years? 10.1 was released in December 2013, JUST OVER a year ago.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:19:54 pm

[TImothy Auld] "FCPX has not seen a significant update in more than two years"

I get that you don't like/trust/care for Apple, but this is false.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 7, 2015 at 1:47:10 am

I'm not worried about it... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:53:39 pm

it has excellent sliders that provide group control over multiple adjustment parameters, with the ability to drill down and fine tune.

It's not hard to imagine certain similar assistance in X with group detection. detecting primary and b-roll and that. Could prove very handy.

professional editing is likely in safe hands with apple. they seem laser focused on the esoterica of professional demands.
I doubt there is a single aperture user that cannot seamlessly shift to this new apple provided software.

As for what this could mean for fcpx down the road? sure who knows. Rumours have it that role based audio mixers are set as a T. Cook level priority.

now - granted apple may be looking at all the ios generated video landing day by day on that shared paid volume cloud service, and they may be wondering about its future core integration, but you would feel there is still likely an explosive growth in R & D for the recently departed aperture equivalent that is fcpx.
nevermind that both pro solutions seem a storage bifurcation they're not really in the mood for anymore. ios/osx shared usage issues like that are a small ball issue for apple right now.

their pro audio software also seems to be taking over the market.
and if you don't believe all that - just look at motion, the fpcx paired twin. where development is just a roaring loud train.

If I was an fcpx editor, I would be completely secure in the fcpx editing paradigm as presented to me by apple,
for a range of really good reasons.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 5, 2015 at 10:58:46 pm

At least you've only got to worry about how much they put your rent up Aindreas

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 5, 2015 at 11:08:49 pm

ROFL That was priceless ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:52:21 pm

[Justin Crowell] "Wait, is this sarcasm?"

yes

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:53:35 pm

anddddddddddd I'm humiliated. Excuse my deletion.

Editor, Motion Graphics Designer, Director
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]