FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cloud storage for location shooting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Scioli
Cloud storage for location shooting
on Jan 28, 2015 at 10:25:12 pm

I'm sure this was covered somewhere in the forums, but as the "smartest group" in the forums. I would seek your advice first. I will be shooting in Australia using 1080i video and for safety would like a reliable "cloud" storage option where I can just upload the raw footage for safe keeping until I get back to the states for editing. Of course I will carry a mobile drive for storage as well, but just in case...
Can you recommend a cloud option for more or less drop and drag video upload and storage?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Cloud storage for location shooting
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:41:16 pm

Internet in much of Australia is poor so copying big fat files to the cloud will take a long time. There is limited fast internet in parts of the major cities.

Thanks to our government the internet in Australia rates lower than Mongolia. I would take a laptop and a few spare drives.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:53:45 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Thanks to our government the internet in Australia rates lower than Mongolia."

Dang... way off topic here, but how did that happen? No investment in infrastructure... no competition... ?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:09:31 am

Previous government tried a big catchup with fibre to the home. Rupert Murdoch, who decides which government we will have, put in the conservatives with a modified fibre to the node and then copper to the home. So far it has simply slowed down the roll out of any decent hi speed internet. We were expecting 100mbs and the new scheme promises 25mbs but the whole ploy has added another year of zero progress.

Basically Rupert want to protect his old fashion cable TV network from serious Internet competition.

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:12:06 am

Okay, good to know and thanks for the info. I'll bring a couple of large drives instead!

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 29, 2015 at 12:55:59 am

Having just been in Australia for about a week and spoken with a number of tech people i can testify that the internet bandwidth in Australia sucks. I was staying at a Sofitel in the central business district of Sydney and the hotel wifi system would kick me off the system after every 1 GB of data usage.. So , if I left my laptop in the hotel room and some one someplace in the world added files to a shared dropbox folder , i would get kicked off the system. This happened a lot, multiple times per day, depending on drop box activity and my local usage.
My advice; carry enough drives, skip the frustration of banging your head against the wall trying to back up to the cloud from Australia, maybe even fedex some drives home just so you are not carrying all your media in one basket.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:25:51 am

If you can wait a few years, looks like Elon Musk might have a plan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2830263/Elon-Musk-s-new-miss...

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:30:43 am

Thread Hijack...

How are you finding the workflow now that you've gone back to Avid? Anything you especially miss from FCP7? Anything you're really glad to have with Avid (I know, shared project workflow is the bomb on Avid)?

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jan 29, 2015 at 6:02:53 am

Wow, that is just depressing.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:31:10 pm

Just to give you a benchmark point. I have CenturyLink DSL at my home in Phoenix Az. I have a mirrored server at a residence up in Overgaard. I run cron jobs on my Linux server to backup my data in Phoenix to Overgaard. My DSL service is 12Mb down and .9Mb up. I actually average around 0.85Mb up. Looking at actual transfer rates, especially on large files, I get around 350Mb/Hour on a good day "going downhill with the wind to my back".

If you do a shoot of any reasonable length you are going to generate, I'm guessing, at least 5Gb if not 10Gb to 20Gb of data correct (most likely more)? At my crappy internet speeds 10Gb is going to take 28.5 hours. Do the math for your use and I'm sure you will get depressed.

This one point really ticks me off when I hear ISP's grousing that customers don't need upload speed. You see these ad's for "Cloud" backup. Right.... and you currently have only, what, 350Gb of data sitting on your 1Tb drive right now so to do your initial backup is ONLY going to take 1000 hours at my speeds (41.6 days), during which time your internet connection is going to be crap for anything else because your are doing nothing but uploading. For the moment all of these services are a frigging joke. I lust for Google fiber (1Gb Up/Down) to come into my neighborhood but till then we are all in Casablanca and all we do is wait...... and wait....... and wait...........

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:21:48 pm

I have Verizon FIOS in my office-- 75 up and down. backing up to the cloud even with that takes quite a long time. If you are shooting a low mid codec Like Canon XF with a C300, 82 minutes of footage weighs 32 GB. 82 minutes is not a lot to shoot in a day, I frequently shoot 4 or 5 x that on Doc Projects or agency work where we might be shooting multi- cam. Even with my FIOS connection, having a current back up on the cloud would be immensely time consuming.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 29, 2015 at 4:34:20 pm

Backblaze runs at about 22 GB/day from my office.

There are some days we generate a lot more data than that, but some days we generate a lot less. Consequently, the backup drifts in and out of "currentness."

Cloud backup is an important part of our backup strategy, but we've got hard drives and tape, too.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:26:48 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I would take a laptop and a few spare drives."

Also reference Herb's link on drive failure rates and the ensuing thread.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Holcomb
on Jan 29, 2015 at 5:52:05 pm

I have used the below companies in the past for cloud computing on tv series I produce.

http://www.wiredrive.com

http://www.axlevideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]