FORUMS: list search recent posts

CoreMelt bringing their FCPX plugins to the App Store

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
CoreMelt bringing their FCPX plugins to the App Store
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:30:56 pm

CoreMelt bringing their FCPX plugins to the App Store.

I know some have wondered if/when this would happen given the potential advantages.

Roger Bolton from CoreMelt:
"We're now in the process of updating all our plugins for the latest capabilities in FCP X and as part of that we'll also be making our products available in the Mac App Store progressively over time."

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/news/1593-core-melt-free-templates

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: CoreMelt bringing their FCPX plugins to the App Store
on Jan 27, 2015 at 7:38:50 pm

Thanks for posting. I wonder if others will follow or steady as she goes. Nice looking transitions that are not cheesy.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:22:30 pm

I can see some of the smaller developers moving to the App Store.

I'm not sure about how some the business models of the bigger developers would fit.
FXFactory has their own management system.
RedGiant Universe is subscription although their "lifetime" membership could fit I suspect.
I'm not sure how Boris would have a motive to go the App Store route.

I suspect on the professional end user side, it would make plugins more attractive since a facility with multiple FCPX seats can have the same plugins with each seat. No need to manage plugin serials or severe limits on number of supported seats.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:19:30 pm

I could see the possibility of Red Giant Universe making its way to the App Store but then again not sure what this would mean for their other product offerings.

I doubt Boris would migrate over, based on product, you get can choose which category you want (such as transitions) or go for the entire package. Then there is the overall product offering. For those reasons I don't see them migrating over to the App Store anytime soon.

Glad to see some smaller companies making their products available in the App Store and agree there will be benefits. In fact, going to look to see what they have and make a purchase in the next few days. Wondering if the updcate cycle will be free or for a small price. Either way, this will be be a huge benefit.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:35:19 pm

How does this get around Apple's Sandbox policy for apps?

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:53:12 pm

[David Mathis] "Glad to see some smaller companies making their products available in the App Store and agree there will be benefits. In fact, going to look to see what they have and make a purchase in the next few days. Wondering if the updcate cycle will be free or for a small price. Either way, this will be be a huge benefit."

Given the limitations of the Mac App Store I try to avoid it for third party software. For example, the App Store version of Resolve lags behind in updates compared to the version you can downloaded directly from BM. There are also limitations imposed on the App Store version (to adhere to Apple's security/sandboxing policies) that are not imposed on the version available directly from BM.

If you Google "davinci resolve app store" you can find multiple threads complaining about the Mac App Store version.

While the Mac App Store can be very nice for users, it can be a pain for devs and I'd rather support devs than support Apple.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:56:07 pm

That is true and why I prefer to go the developer website.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:04:08 pm

I can imagine though that some facilities would buy through the app store for licensing reasons though. If you have 5 seats of FCPX and needed the same plugins on all systems might be an advantage over buying from the developer's site and only being able to install on one (or two) active systems.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:51:46 pm

This forum tends to be Mac centric but for most developers the App Store is probably a minor consideration unless they are X only developers. For Red Giant, Boris, Tiffen, Blackmagic etc I imagine it would be an extra nuisance rather than a primary outlet.

Clearly the fact that Resolve is not kept up to date on the App Store is indicative of what major developers see as important.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:11:12 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Clearly the fact that Resolve is not kept up to date on the App Store is indicative of what major developers see as important.
"

If BM is to be believed, they submit updates in a timely fashion but Apple's internal approval process creates a logjam.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:46:31 pm

A company called Reel Path has FCPX plugins in the App Store.
http://www.reelpath.com/ReelPath/ReelPath_Animation_Tools_for_Final_Cut_Pro...

CoreMelt plugins in App Store.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coremelt-motion-templates/id948176059?mt=12...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]