FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX offers what advantages over Premiere?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Frantz
FCPX offers what advantages over Premiere?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:27:11 am

I can think of a couple, but they're all pretty minor in comparison to all that Adobe is doing right.

Timeline index, but I believe Premiere has something similar.
The skimmer, I've really grown to enjoy this actually. Why not have two play heads?
Speed remapping, is slightly better in FCPX due to the auto-ramps it generates.
Having crop as a part of the inspector, but premiere could add this in a moment.
Waveforms that respond when you key frame them. It's a cool option, but there should be a way to turn it off.

That's all I can think of, anyone else?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: FCPX offers what advantages over Premiere?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:48:58 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:07:22 am

Is this a new trend in topics? lol Here's one...

It's more fun to cut in and I spend less time swearing at it and more time trying crazy editorial stuff than any other NLE I use.

Too subjective? :-) OK, well...

Filmstrip view in Event Browser
Browser in general, way easier to find stuff
Live, real time preview of all audio and video filters/FX
Much better audio plugins *in the app*
Really great 3rd party ecosystem
no tracks
the inspector, warts and all
clip skimming
snapshots
keywords, collections, smart collections
share destinations/bundles
really great compositing/title stuff built in
retiming/color matching/audio fixes are really nice, and can easily be amped up via 3rd parties
magnetic timeline. really really fast trimming of cuts to time etc
compound clips (not nests!)
cleaner UI
quicker access to setting for audio configs, video settings
live waveforms
embedded audio, access to components in *any* clip including masters
No Tracks... oh, did i say that?
Generators, built in and from Motion
No mode switching for subframe editing

gotta work... I'll add more... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:53:06 am

Filmstrip view in Event Browser > Options to zoom in on waveforms in Premiere, none in FCPX
Browser in general, way easier to find stuff > Subjective, Premiere has more metadata options as well as more organizational options.
Live, real time preview of all audio and video filters/FX > This is one! I've never tried it with the audio, never occurred to me. Might have to give that a go.
Much better audio plugins *in the app* > Subjective, metering options are better in Premiere.
Really great 3rd party ecosystem > There's less stuff missing in Premiere ;)
no tracks > I'll leave this be
the inspector, warts and all > Premiere has something similar "Effect controls"
clip skimming > Premiere has this in a few places but no skimmer in the timeline
snapshots > Duplicating sequences, advanced versioning, etc. are all on par
keywords, collections, smart collections > Smart collections are much like smart searches which premiere has. Keyword collections are nice :)
share destinations/bundles > Send to media encoder, same deal
really great compositing/title stuff built in > Titling is better in FCPX, but I do most titles in AE regardless of the NLE, I think most people do. You can edit your AE project text in Premiere btw.
retiming/color matching/audio fixes are really nice, and can easily be amped up via 3rd parties > Retiming is great, Premiere has the retiming tool which is pretty effective but FCPX wins this one IMO.
magnetic timeline. really really fast trimming of cuts to time etc > This can be replicated pretty quickly in Premiere, and also comes with the option of not having everything ripple.
compound clips (not nests!) > I guess, but you can have a nested timeline open simultaneously while editing in your primary one in Premiere which eliminates any advantage FCPX might have. Maybe not though, what else am I missing?
cleaner UI > You can move UI elements in Premiere. It can quickly become cleaner or messier than anything else. And it doesn't come with a magic wand icon which is a plus for me.
quicker access to setting for audio configs, video settings > I guess, but it's a matter of a click or a remapped keyboard shortcut in Premiere.
live waveforms > This is cool in FCPX, but something tells me it's what contributes to all of FCPX's waveform lag. They have to redraw all the time as a result.
embedded audio, access to components in *any* clip including masters > Explain further?
No Tracks... oh, did i say that? > Heh
Generators, built in and from Motion > All available in Premiere, well they don't have blobs or bubbles I guess...
No mode switching for subframe editing > It's a click away.

I won't bother with listing the Premiere pro's I think that thread underneath us is doing that better than I could.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:10:12 am

[Chris Frantz] "I won't bother with listing the Premiere pro's I think that thread underneath us is doing that better than I could."

Well, you should use Premier then. I'll defer to your years of experience.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 29, 2015 at 2:28:44 pm

I think the feature list comparison really sort of misses the point of the differences between Premiere and FCP X. I think the real differences are the connected timeline versus tracked timeline and the different styles of media browsing.

There are those of us that find we work more efficiently in the FCP X way of working. And find it more "fun" to edit with. There are those the find they work better in the Premiere Pro way. I'm not sure there is one right answer here. A lot of it depends on the type of project you are working on.

Right now, I'm not sure there is a feature lacking in either program that would be a complete deal killer beyond personal preference.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:21:36 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I think the real differences are the connected timeline versus tracked timeline and the different styles of media browsing. "

I actually think the differences are FAR more profound than that.

That's just the working in the timeline differences.

I think the real difference is the entire plumbing re-construction that the FCP X team did. Sequestered different rez media pools that you can switch between with a click. Everything as metadata references. Agile on-line sharing from those sequestered rez pools.

The structural differences at least between FCP Legacy and FCP X are pretty profound, fundamentally.

Not sure how Premier or AVID is different, but from conversations I've participated in on other sites regarding stuff like multi-cam - it appears that the other NLEs are a bit "constrained" by needing to link to and manipulate media directly rather than by reference.

Just speculation here.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47:55 pm

[Bill Davis] "I think the real difference is the entire plumbing re-construction that the FCP X team did. Sequestered different rez media pools that you can switch between with a click. Everything as metadata references. Agile on-line sharing from those sequestered rez pools. The structural differences at least between FCP Legacy and FCP X are pretty profound, fundamentally... it appears that the other NLEs are a bit "constrained" by needing to link to and manipulate media directly rather than by reference."

I must somewhat pedantically disagree.

Steenbecks manipulate media directly. Every NLE I can think of works as you describe with FCPX: everything as metadata references. There is always a "clip" construct that serves as an abstraction layer between the timeline and the media.

FCPX has a really great system for managing its own native, optimized and proxy media, but it's not fair to suggest that other NLEs lack online/offline or reconform workflows.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:01:39 pm

[Bill Davis] "other NLEs are a bit "constrained" by needing to link to and manipulate media directly rather than by reference. "

At least PPro lets you relink to a clip that has different properties than the original

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:12:29 pm

Ok, but isn't the cost of that the inability to depend on the absolute reference stability of the underlying clip for the database. In X, the database can't maintain integrity if there isn't absolute address integrity between clips. Premier doesn't give you the concept of a range in the same fashion, so why should it care if a piece of substitute media is a few frames shorter or longer, right? While in X, doing a clip replacement with media that's 20 frames shorter is unacceptable if the closing range address is one of the now missing frames. The database returns an error because the location is GONE. That can't work.

Walter, this also goes to why I suspect the metadata description system in PPro can't be directly compared to the one in X. Sure they both describe the edit positions via abstraction, but i sispect only one does so as entries in a live evolving SQLite database, rather than the old style of just writing addresses in a fixed code file and referencing them. But I freely admit that I'm no expert on coding nor the guts of this stuff, so I'll leave it for the programmers to decide whether X and Premier use the same sort of metadata manipulations under the hood - or if that's a core part if what Apple "re-plumbed" in the X re-imagining.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 30, 2015 at 8:31:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "While in X, doing a clip replacement with media that's 20 frames shorter is unacceptable if the closing range address is one of the now missing frames. The database returns an error because the location is GONE. That can't work."

I'd like the option to override this as in other NLE's, I seem to remember you could do it in earlier versions of FCPX

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:08:56 pm

That's the whole point Steve. Other software can because IT ISNT internally connected to an active digital asset management database system like X.
You can have a system where range parameters matter. Or one where they don't.
Not sure it makes sense to ask for both simultaneously.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:15:17 pm

[Bill Davis] "Not sure it makes sense to ask for both simultaneously."

Why on earth not? The magical FCPX database should give you MORE flexibility not less, as you say it's an ACTIVE management database, should be easy to change datapoints

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 30, 2015 at 9:38:40 pm

[Bill Davis] "Walter, this also goes to why I suspect the metadata description system in PPro can't be directly compared to the one in X. Sure they both describe the edit positions via abstraction, but i sispect only one does so as entries in a live evolving SQLite database, rather than the old style of just writing addresses in a fixed code file and referencing them. But I freely admit that I'm no expert on coding nor the guts of this stuff, so I'll leave it for the programmers to decide whether X and Premier use the same sort of metadata manipulations under the hood - or if that's a core part if what Apple "re-plumbed" in the X re-imagining."

Before the revamped relink workflow with Premiere Pro CC, I studied a bunch of my .prproj files, figured out the format, and wrote an in-house re-linking app a couple years back that operated directly on the .prproj file -- outside of Premiere entirely. Because of that experience, I think I have about as solid a grasp on the Premiere project data model as you'll find outside of Adobe.

The Premiere Pro data model is relational, just like the FCP X model. Premiere markers can have durations, not just refer to a single frame; as such, Premiere markers (and subclips) are essentially ranges.

The fact that FCP X runs on CoreData is immaterial here. Both FCP X and Premiere run on relationally-structured databases. One is no more "live" than the other from a data standpoint, though I'd be sympathetic to your argument that FCPX is livelier in how it exposes this data to the user and allows the user to sift and manipulate it.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:17:51 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:26:03 am

[Charlie Austin] "Is this a new trend in topics? lol Here's one...

It's more fun to cut in and I spend less time swearing at it and more time trying crazy editorial stuff than any other NLE I use.

Too subjective? :-) OK, well...
"

etc.,etc...

You must be holding it right!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:49:05 am

The media browser. The ability to build motion template filters and effects is pretty amazeballs too. Does premiere let you publish directly to Youtube or Vimeo from within the application?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Jan 27, 2015 at 12:58:05 am

Yep, premiere now does let you publish to those sources via media encoder (which is easy to do with a batch export, wink wink).

The motion template is cool, but the only time I've ever used the custom one is to create a batch lower thirds or slate. You can use ae projects and publish them with text you can manipulate in Premiere. Most other effects are just workarounds for things you can do natively in Premiere (adjustment layers anyone?).
Premiere has a pretty fantastic media browser as well, I might even say a better one as you can have multiple open and explore all kinds of different media types.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:17:23 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:22:00 am

[Chris Frantz] "Premiere has a pretty fantastic media browser as well, I might even say a better one as you can have multiple open and explore all kinds of different media types."

It's awful, and to be fair, it's not just Premiere. Anything that requires you to have multiple panes open, bins upon bins upon bins really just pales in comparison. Open a bin with hundreds of sound effects, and find a few options that have real sharp attacks, a quick peak, and then tail out. In filmstrip view in X I can find them all in about 30 seconds just by looking at the waveforms. Anything else... preview everything.

Find the shot of a clock face that is "somewhere" in one of 6 reels in one of 3 versions of feature. Again, 30 seconds in X. In anything else you'll be scrubbing through everything and hoping you don't miss it. You may need to play it all in FF.

Totally different league

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:24:43 am

I'm not sure why you would have a single bin with 100's of SFX not organized any more than that, that seems like a FCPX problem where there's only a few layers of organization. Events, folders, keyword collections. ;)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:28:12 am

[Chris Frantz] "I'm not sure why you would have a single bin with 100's of SFX not organized any more than that, that seems like a FCPX problem where there's only a few layers of organization. Events, folders, keyword collections. ;)"

I don't. I have a library that has thousands of SFX all nicely organized with KW collections. I have the same "project", with the exact same structure using bins which I use in Pr and FCP 7. It's so much easier for me to find things in X even with the detailed organization. Not even close.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:28:40 am

And I have clean folder structures I can import right into Premiere that will turn into bins and start working right away as opposed to figuring out how to interpret sub-folders into keyword collections. That for me is a way faster workflow and worth the price of a good AE or media manager. Btw Charlie, nothing personal here, you're a great resource for this community and I've sent other prospective FCPX editors articles of yours before.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 27, 2015 at 4:47:02 pm

[Chris Frantz] "seems like a FCPX problem where there's only a few layers of organization"

You're kidding, right?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bradley Jones
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:21:43 am

I can think of a few outside of the ones you've mentioned.

*A mezzanine codec for proxy and optimized workflow (Both NLE's have a de-bayering option but proxy can make editing in remote locations very easy).

*Auditions are a very unique and handy feature for X

*Smart Collections: Adobe just mimicked this with search bins but they are not nearly as powerful and robust as the smart collections in X.

*Round tripping with Resolve: While both NLE's can roundtrip with Resolve just fine, with the latest updates X has a few advantages as far as translating speed changes, keyframes and even some plugin effects.

*The Plugin world around X: This is huge, because they built X around Cocoa releasing a giant plugin market that sprang up overnight not to mention the custom templates you can publish via Motion. Anywhere Apple is lacking, this market fills in the gaps.

*Keyword Collections: Another, very powerful way to organize media around metadata that is far more robust that the classic bin structure.

*Storyboards: Being able to pre-biz an entire film using placeholders before you ever step foot on set is a great feature.

*The Magnetic Timeline: This is maybe a matter of taste, but once you master the magnetic timeline the speed and ease of editing can be greatly improved. The fact you don't have to worry about throwing clips out of sync is a huge deal. There are still some advantages to track based editing but those are few and far between.

There's advantages and disadvantages to both, I edit with both NLE's and I've slowly fallen in love with X. Premiere is a better all rounder but X is so forward looking that despite a handful of shortcomings, just makes editing a far more pleasurable experience.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:25:00 am

The proxy workflow is slick when it works. No argument there. Auditions are also cool, but I can count the number of times I've used them on one hand. Sure Adobe added the feature and it doesn't have everything in it yet, but if you take a look at the metadata options in Premiere you'll see the future is bright. Round tripping with Resolve is great, Premiere can do it too, and can also send an entire project to Speedgrade which is getting updates at a faster pace than FCPX. Less need for so many plug-ins adding features that other NLE's have by default. Keyword collections are slick, so are bins ;). Storyboards are cool for some, I can't see ever using them in their current iteration however. Magnetic timeline is a cool option, which there should be a toggle for. I can ripple a cut in premiere pretty easily.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:36:34 pm

Love this post ;)

Of late due to the update on a few Mac Pro's here to CC 2014, the ability to burn a Blu-Ray has vanished on the Premiere Pro side of things (well Adobe period).

I can do that in FCPX but not as effective as Encore (love pop-up menus).

What gives Adobe?

I have to re-install CS 6 to get it back now.

And when I try finding it online, it kicks me to install Premiere Pro CC 2014 which does not have any options to Encore?

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:39:51 pm
Last Edited By Kevin Monahan on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:42:35 pm

Hi Eric,

[Eric Santiago] "Of late due to the update on a few Mac Pro's here to CC 2014, the ability to burn a Blu-Ray has vanished on the Premiere Pro side of things (well Adobe period)."

You can create a DVD or Blu-ray disc with Encore CS6, which is still available for sale or via subscription to our customers. The only thing missing is dynamic link capability with current versions of CC applications, which (as I understand it) is not a deal breaker for most people authoring discs.

Can't you plug-in an external Blu-ray burner to the new Mac Pro?

[Eric Santiago] "I have to re-install CS 6 to get it back now."

That's right. You need to install Premiere Pro CS6 to receive Encore CS6 (and AME CS6). After Encore is installed, you can uninstall Premiere Pro CS6 if you do not need it. You can also choose to keep it installed in case you really need to edit using dynamic link capability with Encore.

[Eric Santiago] "And when I try finding it online, it kicks me to install Premiere Pro CC 2014 which does not have any options to Encore?"

If you purchased Premiere Pro CS6, you can download it here: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.htm...

If you are a CC customer, you can download it from Creative Cloud for desktop under "Previous Versions." This doc will show you how: http://helpx.adobe.com/encore/kb/encore-cs6-installed-cc.html

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 27, 2015 at 1:58:12 pm

This is a good thread to show how many things Prp has copied from X

A tip of the hat should go to X for that for starters.

The connected clip structure of the X TL lets me move huge chunks of the story without even selecting them. In a doc where the story is not set I like moving lots of elements around the TL to get a feel how they will play. Stuff staying in sync and moving out of the way is a bonus but it's moving huge chucks around with ease that I like.

They can copy the skimmer a bit but this one will be hard to copy with tracks.

X is missing some things but you are paying for only what you use. It's the argument that has been made against cable for years. People who don't want to pay for channels they don't watch. for me I prefer it that way, that's not a negative.

X you buy it and you're done so it could wide up cheaper so to me the pressure is on Prp to be much better than X to justify the subscription. It can't just be equal.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 27, 2015 at 3:53:22 pm

[tony west] "This is a good thread to show how many things Prp has copied from X
A tip of the hat should go to X for that for starters."

Sure, hat tip. But it cuts both ways and frankly ingenuity comes from all different kinds of manufacturers. At the end of the day, a healthy competitive market is good for users! This forum exemplifies that many of you use multiple NLE's based on the job or the requirements. For the manufacturers, Apple, Avid, Adobe, etc. all end up winners.

As for Adobe, we've had our share of firsts which may or may not matter to you. Some of the big ones off the top of my head are:

- First major NLE to be 64-bit native (extra big if you consider Apple owns the OS)
- First major NLE to utilize CUDA and OpenCL in new powerful ways
- Best of class closed captioning - a legal requirement for broadcasters
- Best of class format support both import and export along with native or DI editing choices

So, everyone's a winner, though it won't do anything to stifle the debate! ;-)

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 27, 2015 at 9:03:06 pm

[Eric Santiago] "I have to re-install CS 6 to get it back now."

That's right. You need to install Premiere Pro CS6 to receive Encore CS6 (and AME CS6). After Encore is installed, you can uninstall Premiere Pro CS6 if you do not need it. You can also choose to keep it installed in case you really need to edit using dynamic link capability with Encore.

So, you're saying, Premiere is the dongle if you need to use Encore? Kinda like how it used to be that Premiere was the dongle if you wanted AfterEfects (ducks, runs)

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 28, 2015 at 12:51:33 pm

[Mark Suszko] "So, you're saying, Premiere is the dongle if you need to use Encore? Kinda like how it used to be that Premiere was the dongle if you wanted AfterEfects (ducks, runs)"

;-)

No, Premiere Pro isn't the dongle at all. It is just that it didn't make sense to make a separate installer for Encore (it is built into the Premiere Pro CS6 installer).

As for Premiere Pro being the dongle for After Effects, no I don't think that was ever the case. Back in the day, we sold a lot of standalone AE licenses to those folks who didn't care for NLEs at all or weren't interested in using Premiere Pro. If you wanted the CS suites before Premiere Pro started its rise among NLEs, then you likely purchased it for AE, Photoshop and likely a bit of Illustrator. Encore became very useful as folks exited the DVD market (especially on Mac) and Audition has always had a loyal following.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 28, 2015 at 1:11:55 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "No, Premiere Pro isn't the dongle at all. It is just that it didn't make sense to make a separate installer for Encore (it is built into the Premiere Pro CS6 installer). "

Surely it makes sense now as most CC subscribers won't want PPro CS6, it would also make it a little less confusing for some people. Can't be a big job to make a separate installer for it?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 28, 2015 at 1:13:08 pm

[Steve Connor] "Can't be a big job to make a separate installer for it?"

Actually, it is.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 28, 2015 at 1:26:18 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "[Steve Connor] "Can't be a big job to make a separate installer for it?"

Actually, it is."

Fair enough!

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jan 27, 2015 at 10:21:08 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "a healthy competitive market is good for users!"

I couldn't agree more Dennis. I appreciate all the work you guys are doing at Adobe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]