FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will the Mac Pro be next to go?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Bergstein
Will the Mac Pro be next to go?
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11:02 pm

The last month would make me very nervous to be buying a product that Apple has practically begged us not to buy, by raising the prices over and over. I am only speculating here, but likely the Mac Pro is history, given the nature of the last month's developments. I for one would not invest in it again, as I have been closing in on getting a newer box for 64 bit based work, thinking that FCPX would make that a good time to buy a full function tower. Now, the FCPX decision as it relates to hardware choices, seems like another reason to move to Adobe or Avid on Windows, IMHO. It just seems like a falling house of cards to bet on Apple professional gear at this point.

On a different note, a friend has just invested in the last year in Logic, including a fully configured MacPro for his sound studio, and we were discussing that he should lock in his toolset for the next five years now, before Logic becomes Garageband X, or something like that. He is concerned, but assumes that he won't have much need for further purchases anytime soon. He agrees that this is likely to have a bad outcome for Logic users like himself. It's shaken his blind faith in Apple.

Alf

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
Re: Will the Mac Pro be next to go?
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:09:33 pm

Of course it is absolutely next on the block. With FCPX you don't need a box with slots. Thunderbolt is all the high speed I/O you could need, and the rest of the interfaces they don't care about. It does not take rocket science to see that FCPX was designed to run on iMacs and MacBooks. Sad but true.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:18:53 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "...the rest of the interfaces they don't care about. It does not take rocket science to see that FCPX was designed to run on iMacs and MacBooks..."
Hi
It seems from the Thunderbolt reviews today on the rumour sites that the PC Express card slot on the 17" MBP doesn't work if you are using Thunderbolt for data transfer. So the card slot will likely be summarily axed at the next revision.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:25:08 pm

Thats ok. We will all just edit our full feature length movies on our iPads and iPhones. Isn't that what everybody else is doing????

Return to posts index

Miłosz Koziol
on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:07:30 pm

Express card is not working? This is so stupid concernig that I use it as a port for sata raid system AND possible external monitoring! Great!
If express slot is removed from MacBooks I will no longer consider it. Right now I have a i7 2010 17`` wich is extremly handy with sony xdcam sxs cards. Without that slot I pretty much ... well you name it.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:31:28 pm

If this 'revolution' continues maybe metadata can make the edit decisions for us.

On the other end who needs viewers anymore - a metadata analyzer will watch media for us and then tell us if we liked it.

All Hail Metadata!

Return to posts index

Stephen Galinsky
on Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29:37 am

Thunderchannellightboltpeak is not fast enough to support high end GPUs, it can't replace PCIe yet. If Apple tries it, welp, off to HP and Dell.

--
Ed it.

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:58:14 am

Well if it does, the only software on my radar that isn't cross-platform is Final Cut Studio 3 and Davinci Resolve. Wonder if Blackmagic would consider releasing Resolve for Windows if there was demand for it...

I'm not really looking forward to going back to Windows... I use Win7 at work and it is an improvement but it is still considerably buggier and more high-maintenance than OSX.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]