FORUMS: list search recent posts

avc-intra 4k import? or, a Varicam 35 with no way in.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Woodhead
avc-intra 4k import? or, a Varicam 35 with no way in.
on Jan 24, 2015 at 1:59:43 pm
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Jan 24, 2015 at 3:54:55 pm

Yeah, this really belongs over in Techniques, but wanted the widest set of eyeballs on it for suggestions.

So.... I've got a brand new Varicam 35 4K camera sitting on my desk (along with a set of 6 primes) on demo for a shoot next week. Just got a "here's the red button" once-over with the rep yesterday, and was so inspired by some of the ground-breaking features, I sort of, well, forgot to talk about import. doh.

The firmware is apparently still undergoing frequent changes, and I know that just next week (sometime) there's another release offering many updates, probably including the ProRes option. But for now, there's only 1 codec choice for 4K, and that's AVC-Intra 4K. And, yes, you got it campers, files don't seem to be recognized by 10.1.4. Apparently Edius already has support. Score one for them. (PC only)

Any suggestions? A workable transcode?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: avc-intra 4k import?
on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:09:06 pm

Ask your Panasonic rep for a driver or reader app that would enable you to transcode to Prores. Or grab a 4K capable capture device and play out from the camera into it. Life on the bleeding edge....

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 24, 2015 at 4:33:21 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Jan 24, 2015 at 4:34:35 pm

I believe the ProRes record option (for the camera) will only support HD when it's available. 4K requires AVC-Intra or raw. I could be wrong, but that info is based on a local Panasonic presentation I attended. See if a tool like Adobe Media Encoder can read the files and transcode to ProRes in 4K.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jan 26, 2015 at 3:20:33 pm

Panasonic has a page on this...
http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/workflow.html

Not clear if the Raw (V-Raw) Codex recordings are on the same XR data pack that goes into the Alexa XT. That would be real convenient for those with existing Thunderbolt/USB3 codex docks and Codex Vaults.

There's a viewer application (Win and Mac) for AVC-Intra offload...
http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/p2/p2viewerplus/index.html

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:28:08 am

Yea, looked into the P2 Viewer app, but it was the same concept as the one from the 1st gen P2 cards; good for copying off cards, viewing clips, but no transcode options.

Codex I think will be released about March for Vari35.

Found that PPro works fine with the 4K right now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]