FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kevin Pollak and editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Kevin Pollak and editing
on Jan 24, 2015 at 7:35:36 am

Nice article by the Cow's own Kylee Wall about Kevin Pollack and his new documentary (which he edited) called Misery Loves Comedy: Comedian Kevin Pollak on Cutting his Documentary with ...

Unfortunately this article is really light on the details. I was hoping to get an in depth look at what Kevin thinks about multicam setup or what his favorite codec is and why, but Kevin just talked about story and pacing and the joy of editing and other nonsensical BS like that. ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Kevin Pollak and editing
on Jan 24, 2015 at 9:00:51 am

Agreed, great article!

I saw Kevin do stand-up in the 80s in Boston (can that be right? 84 or 85 if I'm not dreaming), alongside Louie Anderson. As you can imagine, Louie was charming and sweet, but Kevin was forceful and razor sharp. And hilarious of course, but it was like he could see inside you. LOL I don't know how often they've done this, but I think I remember the two of them touring together in 2010 as well.

If stand-up was the only thing he'd done, I swear I think he would have been considered one of the all-time greats. As it is, comedy simply goes on a long list of things that he's terrific at -- ie, all of them he tries. I've been a huge fan for yeah, 30 years now. I can't wait to see this.

And hey, what? No mention of his wild role as one of the Brownies in Willow? See here and below, on left, with comedian Rick Overton on the right.

Again, thanks for another great article, Kylee!

Return to posts index

Kylee Peña
on Jan 24, 2015 at 3:10:46 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "multicam setup or what his favorite codec is"

Sorry to be such a disappointment :) I did have you darling nerds in mind and was fully prepared to go briefly into technical nitty-gritty if it seemed like a good topic, but it ended up being a greater testimonial for Premiere that none of that was actually a concern for him in the storytelling process.

I'm glad you're all enjoying the interview!

blog: kyleesportfolio.com/blog
twitter: @kyl33t
demo: kyleewall.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 26, 2015 at 7:46:12 pm

He barely mentions it, but I can tell he's truly amazed by the process of building up a cut that does more than the raw footage could - that "editor's high" you get from the synthesis of discrete components, put together your way. From lowly in-house training videos to major theatrical releases, that thrill remains the same to every editor. Welcome to the club, Kevin!:-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 27, 2015 at 5:28:28 pm

What jumped out at me with regards to this was that Kevin has been in a lot of edit sessions as director or producer calling the shots, but it wasn't until he got his hands dirty that he really felt that sense of accomplishment. Very cool to hear him talk about the journey form called the shots to 'What does this button do again' to 'holy crap I made this!'

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:27:38 pm

Editing is not the most important part of the movie: it IS the movie.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:42:52 pm

[Richard Herd] "Editing is not the most important part of the movie: it IS the movie."

My favorite observation of Kevin's in the article is related to that: when he says that standup comedy IS editing! I'd never thought of that way, but of COURSE it is. It's non-stop focus testing under live fire, with jokes being altered or thrown out if they don't work, until they come up with a rock-solid routine...which might conceivably never happen.

What I didn't know until I'd experienced it is that the HBO special or what have you is typically at the end of the tour. The comedian has been refining on the road. Comedians based in LA often run over to Vegas to work things out. One weekend I saw both Dennis Miller and Janeane Garofolo in Vegas WHEN THEY WERE BOTH STILL FUNNY (which feels like a long frupping time ago, man -- in fact, now that I think about it, it was 13 or 14 years ago), and both were working off handheld notes in preparation for an upcoming special. George Carlin did it too.

In that sense, I can see why editing the film was such a powerful experience for Kevin. Sifting through material, arranging, refining, getting it to WORK. It's what he's been doing for most of his life in other areas, and can now apply it to a different kind of storytelling.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]