FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracks are Indispensable.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Tracks are Indispensable.
on Jan 23, 2015 at 3:51:40 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:56:12 am

I take it all back. Tracks are great! I love them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Tracks are annoying as hell...
on Jan 23, 2015 at 7:23:16 pm

No tracks in X just gave me an idea for a new signature: Less clicking, more editing, that is the power of X!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:26:35 pm

But Charlie,

They're so organized looking, and, like, I know what they all MEAN, and they feel so, well, COMFORTING, and you know, HOW CAN I TELL WHAT THE HELL ANYTHING IS WITHOUT TRACKS! - cuz, you know.

They're TRACKS.

for gods sake.

How can I get stuff done if you take my TRACKS away? ........... (i'm scared)

(said way too many people over the past 4 years)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:29:57 pm

Good grief, how DID we all cope before FCPX came along!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 23, 2015 at 10:34:16 pm

[Steve Connor] "Good grief, how DID we all cope before FCPX came along!"

It's amazing we were able to get anything done...with all those tracks hampering us.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:30:29 pm

[Bill Davis] "How can I get stuff done if you take my TRACKS away? ........... (i'm scared) "

Not sure that helps Bill... And to be fair, there are plenty of workflows where tracks serve a purpose. Mine isn't one of them.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Jan 23, 2015 at 9:03:04 pm

This whole track or no track thing reminds me of when non-linear was introduced. Many linear editors didn't want anything to do with that "editing on a computer stuff." "It will never replace a room like this..."

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jan 25, 2015 at 2:00:13 am

[Charlie Austin] "Not sure that helps Bill... And to be fair, there are plenty of workflows where tracks serve a purpose. Mine isn't one of them."

Yes, that is certainly true. But, don't say that here, the insecure people will be offended.

Last week I had an occasion to visit FCP 7 on a project that was shot 12 years ago and transferred to FCP7 some time after that. I had no problem working in 7... the tracks don't scare me, but then I don't scare easily, I guess. Even though I hadn't seen 7 in at least a year, I had no problem operating it. I guess it all depends on how good you were in 7? A lot of people I know that love X weren't all that competent in 7, though they seem to think they were.

Yes FCP7 was slower than FCPX in terms of raw speed, but then it's on a 2008 machine, not the flame-throwing nMP. Almost makes me want to try FCP7 on the nMP. Almost...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 25, 2015 at 3:38:37 am

[Mitch Ives] "Yes, that is certainly true. But, don't say that here, the insecure people will be offended."

Yeah, :sigh: what is it about software that brings out all this angst? Mac vs PC, NLE vs. NLE, Gamer vs Gamer, Spy vs. Spy?... wait, what?. Guess it's just a guy thing. :shrug:

[Mitch Ives] "Almost makes me want to try FCP7 on the nMP. Almost...
"

well, a friend is running 7 (and other things) on just such a machine. Due to the architecture of 7, it's really probably about the same as your 08, maybe a bit snappier. It runs OK on my 2012 iMac. As does Pr, MC, X etc, some of which have tracks. Which suck. ;-) They don't scare me, they make me angry. lol

Say what you will about X, but it never tells me something I want to do "isn't allowed" dammit!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jan 25, 2015 at 11:55:40 pm

[Bill Davis] "But Charlie,

They're so organized looking, and, like, I know what they all MEAN, and they feel so, well, COMFORTING, and you know, HOW CAN I TELL WHAT THE HELL ANYTHING IS WITHOUT TRACKS! - cuz, you know.

They're TRACKS.

for gods sake.

How can I get stuff done if you take my TRACKS away? ........... (i'm scared)

(said way too many people over the past 4 years)
"

Tracks arent nearly as annoying as this post. SMH

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jan 27, 2015 at 2:49:44 am

Yes. Especially since the vast majority of us have to deliver tracks.

Tim

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:13:17 pm

Interesting. They are annoying. But for your process I would've thought it pretty much the same. Mark in, mark out, ripple delete. Or in X... Blade all, blade all, delete primary clip.

And at least in 7 you can trim all those 20 layers at once instead of 1 at a time in X. Both apps have the exact same issues with ruining sync when doing ripple deletes or primary trims. Any clip that is connected (or "begins", in legacy) before the trim point, is knocked out of sync. Usually music or a long bit of VO would fall into this category. I even remember watching the intro of X in 2011 and they trimmed the primary and everything moved down ( 7 works the same way as long as you do a ripple delete and don't have Any locked tracks) knocking everything out of sync with the music. You could see it happen. And they just touted that everything stayed in sync.

Working in Avid with sync locks all on is the only foolproof stay in sync method I've seen. Any of those long overlapping clips simply get split at the ripple point, moving the second portion down with everything else.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:20:42 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:22:30 pm

[Bret Williams] "Working in Avid with sync locks all on is the only foolproof stay in sync method I've seen."

It would have been easier to do this in MC than 7. It wasn't the rippling that was the problem, it that there were many clips that overlapped different sections so there was no way around track tetris. I mean, it was fine, but it woulda been easier in X. That's all I was trying to say, my intent wasn't to stir sh*t up. :-)

edited as I see you weren't talking about cutting all layers, but trimming...

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:37:27 pm

[Charlie Austin] "there were many clips that overlapped different sections"

Do you mean audio clips and/or picture in picture and composites?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 24, 2015 at 12:07:20 am

[Richard Herd] "Do you mean audio clips and/or picture in picture and composites?"

Audio. Great piles of it. :-)

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:02:14 pm

We need a setting in every NLE not just Sony Vegas apparently that deals with audio clip collisions as crossfades. The default setting should always be "if two audio clips collide, then crossfade them."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:56:18 pm

I'd say it's nice that you can trim the primary and stuff moves out of the way, but then you usually end up having to trim lots of clips. But true in legacy you get clip collisions. I don't miss those! But I do miss extending multiple layers with the g tool.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 24, 2015 at 12:14:50 am

[Bret Williams] "but then you usually end up having to trim lots of clips."

True, but in this case not so much, All SFX, no music, and the heads/tails of the audio wasn't really a big deal. Long rises to hits, hits with tail outs, designed sfx under pix etc. Ya know... typical horror film :30 TV. ;-)

[Bret Williams] "I do miss extending multiple layers with the g tool."

Yeah, there are some things I kinda miss about 7 when in X, but there are lots more things I miss about X when I'm in 7 or Pr...

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 27, 2015 at 11:15:30 pm

When NLEs start using tracks as well as a DAW like Fairlight this argument might be interesting. However given the rubbish implementation of tracks and the failure to capitalise on the major strengths of tracks by most NLEs, then I think X has got it right for editing.

Post finishing I still prefer to have tracks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]