FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Premiere CS6 oddity

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
OT: Premiere CS6 oddity
on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:34:42 pm

Since this is not a forum about FCPX and there was no response from the PP Basics forum, I figured I might try here:

Working on PP CS6 on a 2013 Mac Pro, totally tricked out. When I drag the playhead around the timeline and then let go the playhead, on it's own accord, mimics that movement and then settles back to where I left it. Very odd. Being relatively new to PP, is this a "feature" or a bug? It's not stopping me from working, but a very curious thing to watch. Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: OT: Premiere CS6 oddity
on Jan 16, 2015 at 1:43:26 am

I've seen a similar type of behavior on some computers. But only on networked machines. It's basically like your keystrokes are being processed very slowly and the computer is simply executing what you've been telling it to do and trying to catch up. I've seen it on CC, so evidently whatever it is, it hasn't been solved. It tends to be intermittent and then settles down after a minute or so. The same machines don't seem to do this with other Adobe apps, like After Effects.
- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:05:11 am

Kinda like what Oliver said, I've seen it with various applications if the machine is struggling (effects need to be rendered, CPU/GPU intensive codec, etc.,.). I've only used PPro CC and CC 2014 and if this happened it didn't do it enough for me to notice. Might be a combination of factors on your end Scott making it happen.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:13:54 am

Interesting. It's about a kick-ass machine as you can buy. I will keep digging. Not stopping me from doing the work, but very curious to watch.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:22:12 am

[Scott Witthaus] "It's about a kick-ass machine as you can buy."

If it's a current machine and OS, CS6 is no longer optimized for it. Of course, it might work just fine, but not really the best software for it. What type of media are you using?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 16, 2015 at 12:36:26 pm

[Oliver Peters] "If it's a current machine and OS, CS6 is no longer optimized for it. Of course, it might work just fine, but not really the best software for it. What type of media are you using?"

What he said....

Put a trial of CC 2014.2 and see if it performs better. 10.9.5 or Yosemite.

Dennis

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 16, 2015 at 2:55:32 pm

Can't do that just yet. But I will as soon as this is all done.

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 16, 2015 at 9:08:54 pm

It's almost as odd as if you add a drop shadow in FCP X, then drag it all around for a bit like you're trying to decide the best location and then hit undo. FCP X animates all your dragging about in reverse. Ridiculous.

X used to also record all your drags in the color pulldown (not the picker) where you open it and drag the eyedropper around on the palette. You'd drag it around a bit and create about 10 undos a second. But that seems to be fixed. Maybe I'll go back to using it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:42:59 am
Last Edited By Scott Witthaus on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:45:46 am

[Bret Williams] "It's almost as odd as if you add a drop shadow in FCP X, then drag it all around for a bit like you're trying to decide the best location and then hit undo. FCP X animates all your dragging about in reverse. "

Not sure what this has to do with a Premier bug at all, but thanks for the info. Never noticed it.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 17, 2015 at 3:05:33 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "It's about a kick-ass machine as you can buy."
Yes, but is it a "kick-ass machine" for that particular task?

If you asked someone what is the most kick-ass Mac you can buy, most people would say the $8K 12-Core Mac Pro. The problem is, that's only true for multi-threaded tasks. This is because the 12-Core Mac Pro as a 2.7GHz CPU while the 4-Core has a 3.7GHz CPU because as you add more cores, you reduce the power of each core trading off single core performance for multi-core performance. That means the 4-Core is 33% faster at single threaded tasks. So if scrubbing the timeline in CS6 is single-threaded, then a 4-Core Mac Pro will kick the butt of your 12-Core Mac Pro.

Also, Adobe CS6 is the first version to use OpenCL but Adobe locked it to certain AMD cards of that time so I'm guessing that those big beefy AMD D700's on the new Mac Pro are going completely unused by CS6.

The bottom line being that if you want to fully utilize the latest "kick-ass" system, you need to use the latest software. I too have Adobe CS6 and have no plans to use CC but if you want to take advantage of your new Mac Pro with Adobe software, you'll need to use CC.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 17, 2015 at 6:38:00 pm

[John Rofrano] "That means the 4-Core is 33% faster at single threaded tasks. So if scrubbing the timeline in CS6 is single-threaded, then a 4-Core Mac Pro will kick the butt of your 12-Core Mac Pro."

Yes. I find my MacBook Pro snappier than my 8-core Mac Pro in skimming. This is especially true when skimming GH4 .mov footage. My MBP operates about 3X faster than the Mac Pro. My guess is something having to do with MPEG-4 processing and the Xeons is not great. Or maybe better graphic drivers on the MBP? I haven't exactly figured it out.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 17, 2015 at 6:44:06 pm

[Brett Sherman] "y guess is something having to do with MPEG-4 processing and the Xeons is not great."

The Core i5 and Core i7 chips have acceleration for H264 media. The Xeons do not.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:25:32 pm

Isn't that for single pass encoding of h264? I would think scrubbing around would fall under the GPU for real time deciding.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 17, 2015 at 8:38:28 pm

[Bret Williams] "Isn't that for single pass encoding of h264? "

I don't know whether it's limited to encode or affects decode as well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 17, 2015 at 7:23:54 pm

It's a similar odd bug in FCP X. But I know, we always stay perfectly on topic here in the debate! :)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 18, 2015 at 3:24:09 am

Curious. Do you get any lag with other operations? Are your media drives perhaps in a energy saving sleep mode and need to wake up before responding?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David McGavran
on Jan 21, 2015 at 12:58:47 am

Apple changed the way they did UI timers and this caused this. It has been fixed in Premiere Pro CC.

Cheers

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
David McGavran, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Senior Engineering Manager Adobe Premiere Pro
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]