FORUMS: list search recent posts

Excellent FCPX workflow story

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Excellent FCPX workflow story
on Jan 15, 2015 at 5:01:53 pm

This is one of those "inspirational" stories about editing on FCPX that Bill is talking about. Well worth the time to read after you've watched the amazing film. Kudos to fcp.co for publishing it!

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1582-watchtower-of-turkey-a-stunni...

Return to posts index

tony west
Re: Excellent FCPX workflow story
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:02:39 pm

It's a beautiful video. Just stunning.

It's what was said below in the last thread. He's an artist and just wants to tell his story.

"This has nothing to do with features or technical things. There is something special about FCP X that makes it very attractive to work with. This application takes away the burden of technology, which works very inspiring. You can concentrate on your creativity and on your story and that’s what really matters.

Although I finished this video faster than the previous one, I had much more time to work on the details. I actually enjoyed myself during the edit. And people feel this when they watch your work. I guess that also explains the huge success of this video."

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 15, 2015 at 11:18:50 pm

Great video. I remember seeing it while ago when it first made the rounds. I could have sworn it came out before 2014 though. I guess that's "Internet time" for ya. If it's been more than a week it's old. ;)

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 16, 2015 at 8:40:55 pm

Very inspiring work and article.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jan 18, 2015 at 6:02:05 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jan 18, 2015 at 6:02:31 pm

Beautifully crafted film. Heavily influenced by Terrence Malick ... and why not. One of the greatest film makers IMHO.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 19, 2015 at 4:27:40 am

With such beautiful cinematography I felt the speed ramp & transition movement effects were distracting. On a big screen it would be hard to watch. Even on my laptop I bailed out half way through from effect fatigue.

This is just my opinion but so often edit and visual style is there to mask inadequacies in story or technical issues with shooting. This seems to be a case of the opposite - great visuals and strong story elements cluttered by overly busy effects and an edit pace that is at odds with the feel of the location and subject. Just my 2 cents.

I will read the workflow part later as I am interested in technique, even if badly applied in my opinion. Grumpy old dinosaur? Maybe.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 19, 2015 at 4:34:03 pm

Michael I would agree with you (grumpy old man here too) but after playing it to my Premiere students (9am to 1pm Sat morning class), their eyes lit up and thanked me for exposing them to that video and article.
I even received emails hours after with their thoughts on the fcp.co article.
Sure we can critique technique at any time but to me its priceless when you can inspire people to this medium.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 19, 2015 at 7:09:16 pm

I'm old enough to be "grumpy", but I thought the entire video was fantastic, and especially liked the use of effects. The control of speed changes was especially well done as well as the perfect matching of shots that was made much easier by the organizational capabilities of FCPX. Great piece of work and a real example of what FCPX is capable of. Kudos to Leonardo Dalessandri!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 19, 2015 at 11:30:19 pm

I agree. I found the edits upstaged the subject(s). Did not seem natural or seamless to my eyes. Particularly when it had the look of fast pans.

Once you back up the lens to take in a vast stage, things appear slower not faster. Yes the timelapse is any interesting magic trick that reveals the flow and patterns of say seasonal changes or traffic or construction, but what was interesting here was individual and small groups of very photogenic people. The theme seemed to be about their soul and depth. The voice had a beautiful tone and a cadence that begged for detail that the quick cuts did not allow.

Even in the beat where it suddenly slowed to take a breath, it quickly got cut up.

I watched it twice after quitting on my first attempt. Yes, read the article. Very interesting and many of the complementary design elements he used to sequence adjacent shots would play differently at a slower pace. That said, his is only somewhat faster than what seems the norm.

I think it might play better on a big screen where you can just give into it and allow yourself to be hypnotized for the few minutes it takes. I find that hard to do on small screens.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Lydia Robertson
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:14:54 am

I watched it three times, on a 5K iMac, and the big screen. it definitely played better on the big screen.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 21, 2015 at 1:07:35 am

Studied it with my class on a crappy LCD Projector at 1280x900.

Stunning even at that horrible luma levels :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]