FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMF and Automatic Duck

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy Brown
OMF and Automatic Duck
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:03:44 pm

Does anyone know if automatic duck will be the only way to export OMF in FCP X.

Read here:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

It mentions OMF can be exported NOW via automatic duck which costs more than FCP X which is pointless. Do you think the article implies support will be provided with an update.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: OMF and Automatic Duck
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:41:34 pm

no - OMF is up to us, but as the macbreak guys pointed out - projected market volume directly correlates to price - I really wouldn't buy duck yet if you can, that price is likely to slide dramatically - As Alex Lindsay pretty hilariously pointed - surely to God someone other than Wes Anderson could put one of these things together wit the new APIs, and the market for one of those things just got an awful lot bigger. well, as long as FCPX actually sells pro seats that is..

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:43:46 pm

Probably, though other 3rd parties may also build tools to do so once the API is public. Apple almost certainly won't add OMF export to FCPX. There are plugins that cost more than After Effects. Are they pointless? $FCPX + $AutoDuck < $FCStudio2009.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:58:04 pm

That price comparison is meaningless. FCS is an entire suite of programs... FCPX is not. That's like saying the price of the new engine and transmission is still less than the price of the entire old car? What's the point...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Tommy Brown
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:26:38 pm

Thank you for the insight but I don't need and don't want the entire suite, this is one basic function which is all I need and I assume Apple will want us to eventually move away from FCP 7 and not be FCP X + Automatic Duck.

As for your analogy, I don't want the old car, its old, it may work and I will have to take it out now and again but eventually it will die.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:06:40 am

Yes, I get that part... But it still doesn't negate the fact that the price comparison is based on false premises

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Joe Dinda
on Aug 3, 2011 at 12:22:07 am

OK, Mitch, so tack on $50 for Motion and $50 for Color. You still end up paying more for the Automatic Duck. Even if they created a new DVD Studio Pro and charged $50 for it, too.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:45:24 pm

[Tommy Brown] "It mentions OMF can be exported NOW via automatic duck which costs more than FCP X which is pointless. Do you think the article implies support will be provided with an update."

No, but once APIs are more widely available, someone will inevitably make a cheaper utility for this purpose.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jean-François Robichaud
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:47:16 pm

[Chris Kenny] " No, but once APIs are more widely available, someone will inevitably make a cheaper utility for this purpose."

I certainly hope so. However, I've been taking a look at the specs for the OMF standard and it's awfully complex. It seems there is no fast and easy implementation for OMF export. It's not the kind of thing one can code in a week or two, and it must be tested against all kind of software on multiple platforms. Automatic Duck already specializes in OMF export, so I'm not surprised they already have a solution out. But for anyone attempting to do this from scratch, it's a huge endeavour, so I don't know how cheap they can make it.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:11:42 pm

mm. That's not what we wanted to hear, can you rephrase it?

Return to posts index

Jean-François Robichaud
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:35:43 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] " mm. That's not what we wanted to hear, can you rephrase it?"

Ok. I'll code an fully-featured OMF export tool during lunch and sell it to you for $0.99 on the App Store.

Is this better? :)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:37:04 pm

therrree you go. boom.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:07:19 pm

I'm actually surprised Automatic Duck for FCPX isn't sold on the App Store yet.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:07:35 am

Perhaps that's Apple's real motive. Get people to sell all the missing parts for FCP on the App Store where Apple takes it's 30%.

Return to posts index

Tommy Brown
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:39:35 pm

That sounds perfect! But do you need the whole of lunch?

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:06:22 pm

It would have been easier to just incorporate it in to the program when they were writing it.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:00:58 pm

Actually what you really should be asking for is AAF support, not OMF.

Avid, the creator of OMF has moved on from it long ago. It is still included for legacy support on Avid and Pro Tools, but the preferred (and default) interchange format is AAF and has been for quite a few years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]