FORUMS: list search recent posts

What to DO??? FCP, Premiere, still mad after all these years

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Pepper
What to DO??? FCP, Premiere, still mad after all these years
on Jan 9, 2015 at 12:42:40 am

Took time off to make a living. Back working on my movie. Can't bring FCP7 upstairs to new faster machine because FCPStudio was an upgrade.
Don't want to learn FCPX it looks too much like imovie which I DETEST.
Don't want to learn Premiere Pro. (I've been fooling with it and it just confuses me, as anything brand-new does).
I love and am familiar with FCP7 where all my clips were made. Maybe I just have to go back to work downstairs on the old machine. That's probably the easiest slowest option. So...
Question:
If I pay a bunch to buy FCP Studio online from ebay sellers with FCP7 so I can work on my newer machine.
1. is there any support at all anywhere for FCP7?
2. The FCP7 I have probably went through a few upgrades which I must have downloaded but I don't have them now.
Would there be anywhere to get those now?
3. Why did Apple do this to us? (nevermind that. Let's not get into it.)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: What to DO??? FCP, Premiere, still mad after all these years
on Jan 9, 2015 at 1:41:33 am

[Laurie Pepper] "2. The FCP7 I have probably went through a few upgrades which I must have downloaded but I don't have them now."

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL949

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 9, 2015 at 1:52:59 am

[Laurie Pepper] "Can't bring FCP7 upstairs to new faster machine because FCPStudio was an upgrade. "

The upgrade is still a full install of the program. I had FCP all the way back to version 3 but all I need to reinstall 7 is just the discs and the serial number for FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:15:49 am

Something doesn't add up here. If you own FCP, install it on your new machine and be happy. All that is required is the FCP 7 discs, the upgrade serial (usually on the box/booklet) and your original serial. I actually installed on an older machine today. I have to keep my FCP 1.2.1 serial number around just for this purpose.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:43:18 am

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't have the discs. I can't find them. I think the latest version of studio was gotten as a download. So I suppose I'm going to have to pay somebody on ebay to sell me the discs, since I've come to the conclusion I DON'T want to learn premiere.

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:45:04 pm

[Laurie Pepper] "I DON'T want to learn premiere"

I agree and went another way altogether: Avid Media Composer. Every time I use it I wish I'd moved over years earlier. It took the $1,000 cross-grade promotion from FC7 a couple of years ago to get me to make the jump. Now I know that even at what was full price at the time, I should have made the move years earlier.

Yes, you will have a learning curve, but if you're at all like me, once you start learning the Avid way it's amazing how fast and efficiently you can work.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 9, 2015 at 6:47:32 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Yes, you will have a learning curve, but if you're at all like me, once you start learning the Avid way it's amazing how fast and efficiently you can work.
"

Nice to hear someone saying that about an NLE other than FCPX!

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:21:44 pm

[Steve Connor] "[Nick Griffin] "Yes, you will have a learning curve, but if you're at all like me, once you start learning the Avid way it's amazing how fast and efficiently you can work.
"

Nice to hear someone saying that about an NLE other than FCPX!
"

i think while FCPX is faster and more efficient on the Pre cutting phase ( spotting/logging/organizing), I dont think Avid can be beat for actual timeline editing, especially if you exploit the shortcuts, IMO.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 10, 2015 at 2:16:23 pm

[Steve Connor] "Nice to hear someone saying that about an NLE other than FCPX!"

ummm...it's an FCPX forum, right?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 10, 2015 at 3:27:07 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "ummm...it's an FCPX forum, right?"

Ah, and so much more!

The thread itself is a broader inquiry into what Laurie should consider add her next step. This is the most appropriate forum to ask that question.

Me, I think Steve's point is well taken. Some vigorous opinions to the contrary, X might not be the right choice for every editor. The continuing evolution of all of each of these options also opens the possibility that the answer might be different now than it was before. Certainly true of X itself, no?

Play on!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 10, 2015 at 5:02:57 pm

Which is why this happens to be my favorite forum on the COW, no doubt about it! Much informative information with entertainment added for free. Why watch educational televison? ;-)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:57:24 am

[Tim Wilson] "The thread itself is a broader inquiry into what Laurie should consider add her next step. This is the most appropriate forum to ask that question. "

Agreed, and a good reason for "the forum name change"!

:-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 11, 2015 at 1:35:37 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Agreed, and a good reason for "the forum name change"!

:-)
"

Perhaps we could start a new forum to discuss the name change "FCPX or Not - or not!"

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 11, 2015 at 6:24:28 pm

[Steve Connor] "Perhaps we could start a new forum to discuss the name change "FCPX or Not - or not!""

I feel like we are heading towards a Monty Python skit.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 11, 2015 at 6:40:09 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I feel like we are heading towards a Monty Python skit."

Oh yes we are

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 12, 2015 at 12:17:33 am

Brilliant! That skit ironically and aptly describes the very nature, the very essence of this forum. Conicedence? I think not! Let the arguing and slapstick comedy carry on mate.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 10, 2015 at 4:16:42 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "ummm...it's an FCPX forum, right?
"

....or not :)

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Jan 9, 2015 at 2:45:54 am

Yea! I found the discs!!!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 9, 2015 at 4:16:04 pm

Since you're sort of starting from scratch here, this would be a good time, once everything is freshly installed,checked,and operating, to clone the boot drive and save that clone on a dedicated partition, or better, on a separate dedicated drive. Then it will be fast and easy to do a full restore at some time in the future. And of course, burn the update to DVD-R and keep it in the box with the original disks and all the serial numbers/documentation, and put that in a sealed, safe box.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Jan 9, 2015 at 8:33:53 pm

Thanks so much for the excellent advice!

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jan 10, 2015 at 5:45:41 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Jan 10, 2015 at 5:46:52 pm

You can also convert the FCS disks to .cdr format using Disk Utility. Mount the disks one by one. Open Disk Utility for each. Select the disk in the Disk Utility sidebar and click on "New Image" at the top. At the bottom on "Image Format" pop-up select "DVD/CD master" and click Create. When opened these will behave exactly like a mounted DVD or CD. I made .cdr s out of all of the Final Cut Studio disks, and all of my important application disks. This will also allow you to install your applications on new Macs that no longer have DVD drives such as my late 2013 Mac Pro or the latest MacBook Pros and Airs. DVD's and CD's do fail after a period of time or can be damaged as well, so this is also a convenient back up.

Disk Utility will also convert .dmg s to .cdr s if you wish. Select the .dmg file in the DU sidebar and use the "Convert" command next to the "New Image" at the top menu of DU.Then New Image and DVD/CD master from the popup as before.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Jan 11, 2015 at 4:27:16 am

Thanks so much! priceless info.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:55:53 am

[Laurie Pepper] "3. Why did Apple do this to us?"

Ok, "play on"! ;-) Some advice you may not want to hear but should be spoken.

Laurie, one thing to consider is that FCP7 is DEAD. It's never coming back and sooner or later it won't work on a future OS release. So, while you say X is like iMovie (which it's not) and you don't want to learn Premiere, I think that is not the right way to go. Premiere (even the CS6 version I have) can be set up to be very FCPLegacy-like. Keep an eye on Resolve as it could be (not now) the FCP8 so many wished for. Media Composer is the age-old broadcast niche standard. And X is damn good.

What I am saying is perhaps use the advice in this thread for a short-term fix, but long term (remembering FCP7 is dead and never coming back) you might want to explore and learn one of these for the future. Just my humble opinion.

Return to posts index

Laurie Pepper
on Jan 12, 2015 at 2:45:21 am

Thanks Scott, and I do understand what you're saying. But right now I've got some time constraints and it is SO WONDERFUL using FCP7 because it's all so automatic and easy for me, even tho I've been away from it for 3 years.
When I brought my fcp project files into Premiere and looked at the files in the browser my heart sank, because they made no sense to me. (Actually importing missing files was an enormous problem for me—seemed like it had to be all of them or none!. And It looked as if individual assets that had had alpha channels had somehow paired with their composites and were stuck with them. But you don't need to hear this.) I simply couldn't face a crash course in premiere even tho I use all Adobe software otherwise and lean heavily on After Effects. So my current problem is solved, and I'll do a course in Premiere after I complete what I need to complete in order to present it. Meanwhile, I wonder if Walter Murch has returned to Avid. I'd be willing to bet money he's not using X! Anyway, thanks for what I realize is good advice.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 12, 2015 at 10:40:34 am

[Laurie Pepper] " I'd be willing to bet money he's not using X! Anyway, thanks for what I realize is good advice."

Actually, you would be surprised how good X is, and I have shifted over all of my short form work to it from FCP7 and Avid. But, that is for each individual editor to find out on their own. These forums rarely convince otherwise! Good luck!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 12, 2015 at 1:14:32 pm

"Meanwhile, I wonder if Walter Murch has returned to Avid. I'd be willing to bet money he's not using X! Anyway, thanks for what I realize is good advice."

His last released film ("Particle Fever") was cut on FCP 7. Sometimes these decisions are made by the studio involved. He's done Avid when the studios have dictated or when starting on a job partway in, like he did on "Wolfman".

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]