FORUMS: list search recent posts

Abuse of the word Luddite on this forum.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MIke Guidotti
Abuse of the word Luddite on this forum.
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:36:55 pm

To all the fanboys, please stop misusing the word Luddite. Us "old folks" could be accused of being Luddites if FCP X were actually a labor reducing or productivity increasing technology. If we then (we meaning the "haters") were protesting the product on the grounds that it increased productivity and therefore would jeopardize the ability of skilled laborers ("old folks") to find work then yes we would be Luddites.

In reality those of us who are complaining are the exact OPPOSITE of Luddites. We WANT a labor reducing, productivity increasing improvement in our editing software. Having to purchase external third party add-ons, use three steps to do operations that used to take one, and hack out convoluted external work-arounds for frequently used integrated processes that have been completely removed is an INCREASE in the amount of labor required to accomplish tasks that were previously preformed easily and quickly.

In summary, all of you young whipper-snappers and fanboys should make sure you learn the meaning of a word before you use it.

-musings of an old fogey and reverse-Luddite

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
Re: Abuse of the word Luddite on this forum.
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:02:03 pm

"Luddite" and "fanboy" are both perjoratives. I've seen far more use of the latter than the former this past week.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:09:17 pm

The odd thing is, so many "pros" --and they're quick to tell you!-- have joined the cow just this month (June). I guess now to become a pro, all you have to do is purchase software that has pro in the title. And to think, all this time I thought it was due to education, understanding, and years put in. I had no idea a pro was also dependent on how many family/friend videos uploaded to social networking sites.

Tim
Now featuring AVID Media Composer
Apple XRAID, XServe, MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, FCP Studio 7 (Sorry, no iMovie Pro)
Apple Monitors, Flanders Scientific Broadcast, Panasonic AG-AF100
Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:21:27 pm

Perhaps I should replace "fanboy" with "apologist?"

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:35:41 pm

That would be a little more civil. Remember, reasonable people can disagree.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:12:08 pm

yeah, people on both sides are making valid points - craig seeman has me sort of sweatily interested in the potential of a relational database substructure on a purely nerdy level.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:10:28 pm

[Andrew Richards] ""Luddite" and "fanboy" are both perjoratives. I've seen far more use of the latter than the former this past week."

Thats because a lot more people are familiar with the slang term 'fanboy', then the word Luddite.
There have been plenty of other words used in a pejorative way by the apologists to directly demean individuals with whom they disagree. These terms are almost always used to infer (inaccurately) the apologist is more intelligent, more skilled, more talented, or younger than the person that they disagree with. Fanboy has no such connotation.

As far as 'fanboy' being considered a pejorative, that would be driven by context. If used to disparage an individual directly by name, perhaps yes.
As a label for a group, or to indicate someone is participating in 'group think', then no. At best it might be a stereotype.
What would you call someone sitting in coffee shop with FCP open on a MBP grinding away on a render, reading the RSS feed from macrumors on his iPad waiting for this years keynote speech to start, while he's talking to apple service on his iPhone about an issue he's having with his iPod connecting to his iTunes account? Is that a casual user? No. It's simply much easier to say 'fanboy'.
Just like it's much simpler to say dog, than Canis lupus familiaris, even though the word dog is occasionally used as a pejorative. My dog will wag her tail if she is in the room and hears us talking about "the dog". She knows she is a dog, and is not offended. Fanboys know they are fanboys. Apple knows they are too. What other computer company includes window stickers for the users car with every machine? Stereotype, yes. Inaccurate, no. I'm not sure why they get offended and deny it. But if they don't want ot be identified as fanboys, it might help if they scrape the apple sticker of their Prius and leave the iPad at home next coffee shop trip.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:49:26 pm

I never put the Apple sticker on my prius! Then again I am a "Luddite" well not really...

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:10:33 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "I never put the Apple sticker on my prius!"

You have seen others do it, right?
Maybe on the Honda Civic, or Subaru Outback?

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 1:27:00 am

[Scott Sheriff] "As far as 'fanboy' being considered a pejorative, that would be driven by context. If used to disparage an individual directly by name, perhaps yes.
As a label for a group, or to indicate someone is participating in 'group think', then no. At best it might be a stereotype."

Context schmontext. It is a pejorative whether directed at an individual or whether used to generalize about a group of individuals.

[Scott Sheriff] "What would you call someone sitting in coffee shop with FCP open on a MBP grinding away on a render, reading the RSS feed from macrumors on his iPad waiting for this years keynote speech to start, while he's talking to apple service on his iPhone about an issue he's having with his iPod connecting to his iTunes account? Is that a casual user? No. It's simply much easier to say 'fanboy'."

The benign, non-pejorative term you are looking for is "enthusiast". "Fanboy" is an epithet inferring an unthinking devotion toward the object of affection.

Regardless, the context in which "fanboy" was used in the opening post and in nearly every other post in this forum the past week has been pejorative. It is invoked with disdain to marginalize the target(s). Just like "Luddite". Both are disrespectful in the context of this forum and its topic. I know things get irreverent around here, and I like a good-spirited jab as much as the next guy. But I've had enough with all the belittling on both sides.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:44:00 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "To all the fanboys, please stop misusing the word Luddite. Us "old folks" could be accused of being Luddites if FCP X were actually a labor reducing or productivity increasing technology. If we then (we meaning the "haters") were protesting the product on the grounds that it increased productivity and therefore would jeopardize the ability of skilled laborers ("old folks") to find work then yes we would be Luddites."

No doubt that this is the traditional and correct meaning of the word. Since the '80s it has generally been used in a generic way to label someone is a "technology hater". Anyone that is using an NLE, is probably not a technology hater. So either way it's being used, it is wrong.

In my case I'm a skeptic, not a Luddite.

[MIke Guidotti] "Perhaps I should replace "fanboy" with "apologist?""

Fanboy and Apologist. You can be a fanboy, and not be an apologist, but not the other way 'round.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:01:40 pm

Even with the "technology hater" use of the word we still would not be Luddites - the new release of FCP actually restricts the amount of technology you can use!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:16:34 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "Even with the "technology hater" use of the word we still would not be Luddites - the new release of FCP actually restricts the amount of technology you can use!"

Agreed. It is inaccurate.

I used the term Luddite in another post as a term of endearment/sarcasm. Now we can have three definitions!

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]