FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syfy’s ’12 Monkeys’ Syncs With Philips Hue For Light Show

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Syfy’s ’12 Monkeys’ Syncs With Philips Hue For Light Show
on Jan 5, 2015 at 7:37:56 pm

This has nothing to do with NLEs but it's a nifty (if gimmicky) use of new media and technology. Basically, buy Philip's Hue lights, download the app and when you are watching the TV show 12 Monkeys the lighting in your home will change dynamically with the episode.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/syfys-12-monkeys-syncs-with-philips-hue-for-lig...

I don't know how I feel about this with movies/TV shows, but I think it would be a really cool feature to have with FPS or action/adventure video games.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
Re: Syfy’s ’12 Monkeys’ Syncs With Philips Hue For Light Show
on Jan 5, 2015 at 8:53:26 pm

I have the Philips Hue lights throughout the house. People seem to get excited about ambilight setups that change with what is on the tv screen. I don't see any reason why you would want that. But good call on videogames... For survival horror games that would be great. For now I'm just happy that when I press play on a film on the media centre all the lights switch themselves off except for a little blue one in the corner.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 6, 2015 at 3:42:57 pm

Seems to me a DOP would enjoy bringing a bunch of these to a location to replace the practicals, since you have color and dimming ability, wirelessly.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 6, 2015 at 5:59:15 pm

[Mark Suszko] "Seems to me a DOP would enjoy bringing a bunch of these to a location to replace the practicals, since you have color and dimming ability, wirelessly."

Agreed. I wonder what the quality of the light is though. For example, I know many LED lights don't produce the full spectrum of light which human eyes compensate for but cameras cannot.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Jan 6, 2015 at 9:16:52 pm

They don't do greens very well. Red, pinks, and oranges are great. Blues are a bit limited. The conventional hue bulbs are built to do the white spectrum very well which leaves them a bit short elsewhere. The Hue striplights on the other hand aren't great through the whites but produce a much better range of colours.

They're not quite as bright as the 60w bulbs they replaced in my lounge so not hugely useful on set.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:41:03 am

[Andrew Kimery] "This has nothing to do with NLEs but it's a nifty (if gimmicky) use of new media and technology. Basically, buy Philip's Hue lights, download the app and when you are watching the TV show 12 Monkeys the lighting in your home will change dynamically with the episode."

Controlling lighting alongside content playback is actually a really interesting creative opportunity.

We do a bigger version of this for large live events. We drive the colors and intensities of the rock-concert-style lighting rig with a media server, playing purpose-built media synced with the screen content and mapping it across the rig as if the instruments were essentially more pixels. It's a great tool for a little extra immersion and impact.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jan 7, 2015 at 2:58:05 pm

I agree that it is an interesting showcase for what can be done not only for traditional broadcast, but as mentioned for other scenarios such as museum, education, digital signage, etc. D-Box is another example of this: http://www.d-box.com/

I designed MetaSync for Avid Media Composer back in 2000 for just these types of delivery. It was a platform solution allowing different groups to create assets and timing, duration, and preview was available during editorial to manage the interactivity with the programming. All its assets could be updated via the web directly from the timeline via refresh. Then all timing of each each asset was exported as XML with all timings calculated for universal mastering and theatrical. HTML based assets could be previewed as an overlay or "Bloomberg" effect in context to video. Interactive assets could also be "AytoSynced" to sources should they always need to travel with that source opening up links to external databases, and such with each assets having the ability to open in its native application directly from a bin or timeline. The patent for that was just recently granted, it spent a lot of time at the examiner's office. ;)

Sadly it was a bit ahead of its time in 2000/2001, and did not get the traction as Internet and "second screen" was not as pervasive back then at the user level (smartphones, apps, and such), but the architecture and solution was right on to develop interaction in context of story during the editing phase. The NAB demo in 2001 used timing of doll reaction (Mikey and Sully from Monster's Inc.) that were timed to a show and then embedded using psycho acoustic masking in the audio track. When broadcast, the dolls would pick up on that and react to the show as defined during editorial.

I am working on projects now, where I could really use this type of platform during editorial, but alas, Avid removed all MetaSync functionally from Media Composer in v6. :(

Michael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]