FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is part of your Final Cut Studio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
What is part of your Final Cut Studio?
on Jan 1, 2015 at 12:21:58 am

Not so much of the hardware side of the equation but mainly plug-ins, core software and utilities.

Mine includes:
FCP X
Motion 5
Compressor 4
Resolve 11 (most current version)
Media Info
Red Giant Universe

Waiting for Fusion

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: What is part of your Final Cut Studio?
on Jan 1, 2015 at 2:45:20 am

FCP Legend Suite with various plugins (Nattress, FX Factory, Colorista 11) - Motion, Color, Compressor etc. Automatic Duck. MacPro late 2009, largely retired

WIN7 PC (i7 6 core, 64 gig RAM, NVIDIA 680 graphics) Adobe CS6, Resolve 11 (latest), Tangent Wave, Fairlight Xynergi (second one). Resolve has Boris Continuum 9, Red Giant Universe & Digital Anarchy Flicker Free. Fusion lite. Open DCP, MacDrive & Linux disk mount/write software.

WIN7 PC Fairlight Xynergi (Main sound post room) with iZotope RX4 Advanced & Voxengo plugins. Sir2 convolution reverbs. Lots of other VST plugins.

Linux Mint - office laptop with various utilities for AV work.

On the wait list is a UHD OLED monitor & Titan 2 NVIDIA card ( both due around April 2015).

For field work Blackmagic 4k Camera, Canon 5D mk2, 16-35 & 70-200 Lenses & 2x Canon doubler. Sound Devices 788t multichannel recorder, Schoeps microphones & Holophone surround ambient microphone. Heavy duty Manfrotto fluid head tripod, Various LED lights.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 1, 2015 at 2:59:08 am

Blackmagic Cinema Camera and soon to get Rokinon lens. By the way, how easy is it to learn Mint? Also, is it more like Windows or Mac OS X? Been thinking about going over to Linux for Resolve, might get better playback but not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 1, 2015 at 3:37:56 am

David,

Mint is just as easy as WIN7 or OSX. Most operating systems are easy to drive in my experience until you need to get into scripting/ programming or command line.

Mint lets you find & install software without ever needing to go to the command line. I would recommend Resolve on Windows. Simply because drivers for graphics cards will be more up to date and you can also jump straight into Fusion. Adobe CC is also available if and when you need it on WIN. Add MacDrive software to WIN and you can read write HFS drives at full speed.

Mint is like a toolbox on a laptop for me. I do not intend to run Resolve on it. I do however run some old WIN3, WINXP and even DOS programs with it using WINE. It is the front end to the internet for hacking & virus security. All the WIN machines are off the web so all software downloads are done via the Linux machine. Everything is networked but Linux acts as the gateway to the outside world.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 1, 2015 at 4:02:41 am

For working with X, all the utilities are useful

Xto7
7toX
X2Pro
EDL-X
ClipExporter2
Sync-N-Link X

For file conversions/processing

MPEG Streamclip
EditReady
Catalyst Prepare
Cinema Tools
QT 7
QtChange
Better Rename
Compressor
Resolve

For audio processing/mixing/mastering

Logic Pro X
Soundforge 2 for Mac
RX4 Advanced
Nectar 2

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 1, 2015 at 4:17:52 am

Oliver,

Is it possible to use Resolve in place of X to 7 or not?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 1, 2015 at 3:05:55 pm

[David Mathis] "Is it possible to use Resolve in place of X to 7 or not?"

Sometimes. I have found all the various FCPXML-to-whatever translations to vary slightly. You don't get the same results from one to the next. Most of the time Xto7 and/or 7toX are more accurate than Resolve.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jan 1, 2015 at 4:54:42 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Most of the time Xto7 and/or 7toX are more accurate than Resolve."

+1

Just purchased 7toX to migrate an old project over. Worked very well... better than I expected actually,,,

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 2, 2015 at 2:41:24 pm

Oliver -

Have you tried the new EQ and Ambience matching features of RX4 yet?
The price for the advanced version is a little steep for me but I am definitely intrigued by some of its features. I already have the denoiser as part of Soundforge and love the quality and ease of use, just wondering about your decision to go for the advanced version.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 2, 2015 at 11:21:16 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Have you tried the new EQ and Ambience matching features of RX4 yet?"

I haven't used it extensively, other than to test it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jan 1, 2015 at 7:14:06 pm

FCPX
Resolve
Fusion

Apple Motion
Pixelmator, iDraw

7toX
X2Pro

Adobe AE, PS, IS
MPEG Streamclip
Cinema Tools
QT 7
Compressor

For audio processing/mixing/mastering
Nuendo (superb for videowork, from steinberg)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]