FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Capabilities

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Declan Smith
Audio Capabilities
on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:10:09 am

Can anyone give any insight as to the Audio capabilities of FCPX ?

Having just fought and lost with Soundtrack "Pro" screwing up levels on export, I was wondering how FCPX deals with the audio part of the workflow.

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCS3 / After Effects CS5 / Combustion / Canon 7D / Canon XL2

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: Audio Capabilities
on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:48:32 am

Hi
Here someone who's commented on the audio features:
http://danrubottom.com/2011/06/what-apple-did-get-right-in-final-cut-pro-x-...

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:25:55 am

One thing regarding the Audio tools. ... the new stuff is nice. However there are a few key issues that in my view need to be addressed:

FCPX needs an embedded waveform editor, just like Soundtrack Pro. At this point it is impossible to make accurate edits, especially on dialog clips. You simply cannot do this in a timeline of an NLE. If this is not in the plan, well then we need a smooth way to get audio clips out and back into FCPX by way of something like "Open in Editor." This way I can use something like Audition or Peak, save - and send back to FCP. At this point you can control + click a clip and "Show in Finder" from within FCPX. Open the clip in a secondary app., save it ... and then re-import. It's not very efficient..

Lastly the cartoonish looking waveforms simply will not work in a professional environment. There is not enough transient detail that is often necessary for editing and various aspects of timing.

Lot's of potential, here. I'm sure apple is on it.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:06:27 pm

Sorry - I respectfully disagree with this assessment. Using a combination of zooming in to the audio waveform (you know you can show just the waveform correct?) and the skimmer with audio scrubbing enabled you can get more accurate than in previous versions of FCP. Give it a try.

NT

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:58:36 pm

Since this option is fairly non-obvious:

At that point you can use the clip height control to make the waveforms nice and tall:

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:18:05 pm

For precise editing I need to see this type of detail, especially when editing dialog. Typically this type of stuff is not done in the timeline of an NLE. What I propose is a more precise editor or an efficient way to send audio out and in after editing/processing.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:00:40 pm

I never said the features in FCPX are not better than in FCP 7. If what's there works for you, cool.

-paul.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]