FORUMS: list search recent posts

What do you edit with?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
What do you edit with?
on Dec 30, 2014 at 7:56:27 pm

No, not what software do you use, but what is the bridge between you and your NLE. For a long time I used a keyboard and a mouse (like most users). I never liked the NLE-specific keyboards though because I always customize my own layout. A few years ago I ditched the mouse and replaced it with a Wacom tablet. I don't always drag the tablet with me from job to job so I still use mice too.

Recently I picked up a Logitech G13 gamepad and so far I'm loving it (http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard). I'm still dialing it in for all my apps but even in this 'getting to know it' phase it is already so much better than using a keyboard. I l-o-v-e having buttons readily available so I might even be switching away from my Wacom to a gaming mouse like the Razor Naga that puts 12 buttons under your thumb. 12! Maybe too much to be comfortable/practical but it's very tempting.

When I did color grading on a regular basis I used control panels with Apple Color (later Resolve) and it's really, really hard for me not to have them now. If I did more consistent coloring work I'd buy my own panels but current I rent from friends on an as needed basis. I first used the JL Cooper panels (which I hated) then I switched to the Tangent Wave which was much more user friendly. Most recently I used the Avid Artist Color panel and I liked that one too.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
Re: What do you edit with?
on Dec 30, 2014 at 8:42:45 pm

I did use for a while an apple trackpad with "the touch " software. The software itself is no longer supported by arctic whiteness as sales plummeted at a certain point. TO be fair the software was a bit erratic in its behavior for me and I can see why users might ditch it, but there were some functions like skimming , making ins and out and a few other things that worked really well and I sort of miss that the app won't be developed further. I really liked using the track pad with defined gestures and I hope some one else will develop something similar or even better than this app in the future.

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Dec 30, 2014 at 8:44:10 pm

Gaming mouse and keyboard for me. The keyboards a logitech g510s which has 18 programmable keys on the left. The mouse is a Roccat Kova+ which has the standard three buttons plus two on the left and two on the right. The nifty bit is that it has a shift button that gives all of those buttons a second function.

I love this setup. To be honest I don't video edit enough to remember the shortcuts I've set up but in photoshop- which is more my bread butter- it's been an incredible timesaver. The only thought that bothers me is that one day when I need to get a new mouse and keyboard they wont be the same. I've built up a lot of muscle memory. It would be hard to adapt to a different mouse at this point.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Dec 30, 2014 at 9:15:28 pm

always these boys:

http://provideocoalition.com/images/uploads/lightworks_8.jpg

tank of a thing. I remember an editor saying that what he loved was you could really hammer the hell out of them - yank the transport, hammer the buttons. I never used the system much, but there was a really satisfying spring resistance to the transport controller. We bought some generic controllers for fcp, but they really weren't the same...

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 30, 2014 at 10:18:54 pm

Was looking at getting Pro Cut X for the iPad from a company called Pixel Film Studios. Available in the App Store but I know nothing about this company. Was hoping that Apple would have something.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 30, 2014 at 11:01:13 pm

A whole lot of the time on the track pad of a macbook pro.

Tim

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 31, 2014 at 1:43:16 am

Almost all our suites use the stock mouse and wired keyboard. Art director uses a trackball and wacom tablet.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 31, 2014 at 4:24:27 am

Stock Apple extended KB, Logitech multi button wheel mouse with wheel mapped to L/R arrow keys for timeline "scrubbing" and a trackpad for scrolling in Browser/bins/whatever-the-scroll-wheel-would-have-done. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Dec 31, 2014 at 4:57:28 am

Wacom since 1997. From Photoshop on Unix through Henry/Hal and Fire/Inferno and unto today with CC and FCPX. Simply cannot edit with just a mouse.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 31, 2014 at 6:35:17 am

Just switched from a Kensington expert to a Wacom Intuos Pro. My hands will freeze up and go numb using a mouse. Wacom is the only way I can work pain free. I love it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Dec 31, 2014 at 7:52:05 am

Full size Apple keyboard (preferably with custom keycaps for whichever NLE I'm using) and a Wacom tablet (set up in "mouse" mode). My old-man wrist joints can't take using the mouse for long periods anymore.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 31, 2014 at 11:48:39 am

Have used them all over time. Had a Wacom tablet for years.

Now I use the Apple keyboard... the new Magic mouse, because having trackpad functionality on the top of the mouse really speeds up timeline operations in FCP X. As a result the trackpad is now in the cabinet.

Then I use the iPad mini with CTRL+Console Final Cut Pro Editor...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 31, 2014 at 1:45:50 pm

On Mac always Apple extended and a MS (older red bottom) Optical.
I havent had to same feel with newer MS but I think Im due to try other brands.
I used an old SGI mouse from my O2/Octane days on my PCs for as long as they clicked.
I miss the original three button mouse.
I spend a lifetime in Maya/Softimage got so used to it.
Never did like the scroll.

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Dec 31, 2014 at 4:29:55 pm

Small Wacom Intuos Pro
Avid Artist Control
Avis Artist Transport

Note that I don't use these for productivity gains over a keyboard per se. I just have really bad wrists, and letting me mash buttons, audio levers, and jog wheels for 10 hours/day is physically easier than locking them into a keyboard position.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2014 at 4:48:24 pm

Wacom for me. I have the touch enabled one and use that feature often. I can't use much more than the pen as anything else starts to hurt pretty bad after a while. The gaming controller looks good, though!

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Dec 31, 2014 at 7:12:21 pm

Keyboard, mouse in PP, Audition
Wacom for AE, PS, AI, Legacy.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Dec 31, 2014 at 5:20:44 pm

I use color encoded NLE specific keyboards and any old 2 button mouse - left hand on the keyboard, right hand on the mouse because of a bad digit on my right hand. I like the idea of dedicated hardware, never found anything that worked well for me. I've just ordered the gaming pad though, thanks for the tip.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 31, 2014 at 6:04:43 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I remember an editor saying that what he loved was you could really hammer the hell out of them - yank the transport, hammer the buttons."

Cool. I've never used one before but always wondered how it felt.

[Mitch Ives] " the new Magic mouse, because having trackpad functionality on the top of the mouse really speeds up timeline operations in FCP X. As a result the trackpad is now in the cabinet."

I tried the Magic Mouse for a bit but for me trackpad is too sensitive. I keep accidentally triggering it or overshooting my target. I wish there was a setting in System Preferences to adjust the sensitivity.

[Daniel Frome] "Note that I don't use these for productivity gains over a keyboard per se. I just have really bad wrists, and letting me mash buttons, audio levers, and jog wheels for 10 hours/day is physically easier than locking them into a keyboard position."

Physical health is nothing to scoff at. That's a big reason I moved away from the mouse. I don't have wrist problems and I'm trying to keep it that way.

[Herb Sevush] " I've just ordered the gaming pad though, thanks for the tip."

After you've had time to play around with it I'd be curious to hear what you think.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 31, 2014 at 9:57:11 pm

Tangent Wave with Resolve. I slightly preferred the way Color mapped on Wave. Because Fairlight has its own keyboard with dedicated jog, I hate using a keyboard for transport control so the Tangent is my NLE friend. A mouse to grade - yuck.

The Fairlight approach is interesting as it allows a controller with automatic key mapping based on the mode you are in including switching to a standard keyboard. Fairlight have an arrangement with Adobe, Sony & Edius to have custom layouts.

http://www.fairlight.com.au/2013/09/fairlight-showcases-new-media-productio...

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Jan 1, 2015 at 9:18:02 pm

what about contour shuttle i use it with a keyboard and/ot mouse. but i will check the gamepd.

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 1, 2015 at 8:27:00 pm

I use a backlit CODE keyboard from WASD, with mechanical switches. For anyone who remembers the old IBM Model M keyboards -- this one clicks like a keyboard should.

I use both a medium-sized Wacom tablet and a Kensington Slimblade Trackball. I bounce back and forth from the tablet to the trackball throughout the day, depending on what I'm doing.

I have a couple of all these doodads, so I travel with this setup, too (though I have the quieter CODE keyboard for the road).

On wrist health: I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice, but here's my story.

A while back, when I was using a mouse full time, I started suffering from some nasty tendonitis -- pain and reduced grip strength. At first, I just tried immobilization and ice. (Because, you know, rest and elevation are not compatible with deadliens.) When that stopped working, I switched full-time to a trackball.

The trackball was great for a while, but then the tendonitis returned, so I switched full-time to a tablet. The tablet was great for a while, then the tendonitis returned.

That's when it dawned on me that the cause of repetitive stress injuries is, well, repetitive stress. And it can happen from any input device. Now I mix my use of tablet and trackball, to help reduce the daily occurrence of repetitive motions.

I have also found that the problems that I thought were in my wrists, and which I tried to treat as inflammation with RICE, were in fact muscular problems in my forearms. My forearm muscle was tightening up, and that's what causing the problem with my tendons -- so a lot of that inflammation treatment was only addressing a symptom, not the cause.

Acupressure applied to my forearm muscle, and occasionally wearing a Cho-Pat strap while working, has helped me recover and stay healthy better than ice or immobilization ever did.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]