FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Workflow advice please

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sting Ray
Red Workflow advice please
on Dec 30, 2014 at 2:05:24 pm

Hi,

I would like some advice on how best to proceed, I have been handed an 8TB RAID with some 3500 clips from RED 1, Epic and Scarlet for a 2 hour feature film, so have 4 and 5k footage (R3D files). I like to to work (EDIT) from one main production hard drive, so all the footage is on one drive (the HDD i was handed). As the footage takes up over 6TB on this drive, I have imported the footage as links (checked, 'Leave files in place' on the import window) as to not double up on media. As yet, I have not transcoded anything.

I threw a few of these files on to my timeline and they playback ok... obviously my timeline will grow, so not sure if this is representative go how m timeline will perfume once there is a 2 hour movie built on it?!!

Q1. Should I (by standard practice.. if there is one) transcode to proxy media before I start organising and editing regardless of the system I am using?

Q2. I am concerned I will have little space on this drive, especially if I transcode. Would it be ok if I link a second drive and create the FCPX Library file on that drive.. thus leaving the media drive (the one I called the production drive earlier in the post) just for media ?!

Computer used:

Late 2013 MacPro, 8-Core
12GB RAM, D500 graphics

Thanks in advance..

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Red Workflow advice please
on Dec 30, 2014 at 8:41:20 pm

I'm sure many others will chime in here, but the big thing that sticks out to me is your lack of RAM. If you're cutting a feature, you absolutely need to max the RAM on the system. 64GB of RAM isn't anything crazy and borderline not enough for 64-bit NLE applications and raw footage.

If you are choosing between NLE's, I'm sure you'll get lots of good opinions.

As for proxy vs native media, I think native media is preferable but many times not practical based on storage, turnaround time, demand on the systems, the production workflow of the overall editing team, etc. Ultimately, you have to make that decision, but if you're not completely sure about native media, than transcoding to a proxy style format is probably a good choice. In another few years though, I think native media will be even with proxy workflows if not the standard.

Good luck!
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]