FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX FAQ, offensive???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Thompson
FCPX FAQ, offensive???
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:50:36 am

I tried to stay away, but after reading the new FAQ page on the Apple site, it just pissed me off again. YES, we hope and expect and pray for MUCH NEEDED upgrades to FCPX, but don't act like the software is ready for the pro market!

When they update the software, I’ll give it another look. Its honestly ridiculous to release a software package that clearly wasn’t ready…then in the same breath tell us to buy third party software (Automatic Duck) to do basic and necessary editing tasks. No thanks. I have my eye on Premiere and CS5.5 until Apple makes the “major update” this software needs to be considered a tool in the “professional” market.

And yes, FCPX caters to “the future of editing” but last I checked, network specs STILL require OMFs and EDLs as well as TAPE deliverables (Digibeta and HDCAM with DEDICATED audio output tracks!!!) So you really can’t defend this pre-mature release, Apple!!

I'm still glad I didn't pay $300 for this nonsense.

Return to posts index

Chad Nickle
Re: FCPX FAQ, offensive???
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:15:34 am

These are not basic editing task, they are features only maybe 10% of the FCP market require. I think the moduler approach was the right way to go. I have empathy for the segment of the FCP user base that do need these features however.

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:38:24 am

I would argue that it's more than 10% of the installed user base when you consider the amount of post houses that use FCP as their main workflow not to mention Filmmakers, News Organizations and other high volume broadcast facilities, etc…

When you add the word "Pro" to your package and include "Pro" features in 7 versions of your software, then strip them out in the name of revolution, you deserve the backlash from the "pro" community that still need "pro" features…aka, the basics!

To quote a review I read, they could have saved themselves a headache and just called this FCEX.

To your point, modular is fine… I think the interface is attractive, but it lacks the features we need.

I'm an Apple fan and hope they can fix this.

Return to posts index

John Chay
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:17:51 am

These are basic editing tasks for the broadcast industry. For Weddings, YouTube and Facebook...no.

http://www.john-chay.com

Editor/Videographer

Return to posts index

Michael Reiersgaard
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:44:19 am

Also for professionals that make a living off of web delivery such as podcasts these features are not needed. Yes, they are professionals; they do get paid.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:41:23 am

[Chad Nickle] "These are not basic editing task, they are features only maybe 10% of the FCP market require"

Then use iMovie... Or Final Cut Express. These things are basics needed in a pro editing package. You can't cut a feature film or even a short film and do audio sweetening, color correction, etc. without.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 8:20:38 am

PRO doesnt mean Hollywood production.... Means that people earn money from it!
Just that.... Nothing else.

I am a PRO ,i work in a big TV station and i never use EDL, XML etc...so i dont want them.
I dont to pay for them

If i would , i coud buy Automativk duck or anything else comes out .

Tape recording and external monitoring will come from Aja - black magic , matrox etc... Its not Apple fault.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14:01 am

I actually find the FAQ encouraging.

Change takes time, in the meantime I study keystrokes and learn the interface.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:08:41 pm

[john spirou] "Tape recording and external monitoring will come from Aja - black magic , matrox etc... Its not Apple fault."

Actually it IS Apple's fault. Aja has a driver for iMovie X (FCP X for you fanboys) but there is no option for the software to stream video data directly out. You can use your broadcast monitor as a second desktop monitor but the color space, pixel dimensions, dynamic range, etc. are absoultely nothing like what you will be viewing on a TV set.

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:11:09 pm

Its a BETA driver.... wait for a while.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:20:59 pm

The fact that it is a beta driver is completely irrelevant to the fact that there is no "play out device" option in the actual program. You can write drivers until you wear the letters off your keyboard but drivers don't add features to a program - they only enable hardware to work with it.

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:18:35 pm

How are you so sure , it will not have this function in the feature ?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:05:42 pm

This is the key point so many are missing. Desktop Display isn't the same thing as having the real output passed through by the program, any more than a picture of a Ferrari is the same as the real thing. This is a crucial fix that Apple needs to correct. Then and only then can AJA,Decklink, Matrox etc. Create a driver that will do what is needed...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:23:40 pm

My guess is Lion and av foundation will solve this, but Apple won't tell you that directly.

If you read the FAQ and then between the lines, you can pretty much see it's coming. This is the first time I have heard Apple acknowledge a beta program.

AJA VTR Exchange works right now if you need i/o to/from rs422 sources and fcp7 is not good enough for you anymore.

The sky is not falling, and please keep it civil. The personal chip shots do no good in here. If you are mad about FCPx, send feedback to Apple.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:22:11 pm

I agree.... good discussion, but no need to get personal.
Anyone who's gone through the FCP growing pains from version 1, knows this is a BAD release. I would have waited. No need to spend $300 on software that should have improved upon a previous version, only to dig into your pockets again for workaround software. We've been down that road with earlier releases.

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:24:42 pm

And granted, if you do weddings and web based videos, have fun!!

For me as a mainly broadcast and corporate producer... FCPX is useless. FCP7 still pays the bills.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:43:31 pm

[Ron Thompson] "No need to spend $300 on software that should have improved upon a previous version, only to dig into your pockets again for workaround software. "

Depends on if it's worth it to you. Obviously, The duck is not worth it to you. That's cool.

There is much improved from FCPx than FCP7. My feeling is that this a building block and it will take time to get where it needs to be. First, Apple released the application slowly to learn the interface and squash bugs. It's not only a new way of learning a timeline, it's all new terms, all new processes, all new preferences, keystrokes, system configurations. Of course, Apple realized this and started slow. To me, that's ok, to others, it might not be ok.

I spent lots of money in FCP7 to have native MXF support. No more log and transfer. It is bliss, and I have used it for years. Do you know how much money that has saved me over time? Years worth of no transcoding? It's on 4 machines, and everyone needs their own separate and paid license.

Speaking of Automatic Duck, I have used ProImport AE that for years to get FCP timelines to AE. It works like a dream.

Those add-ons cost more money, but they are extremely worth it. If OMF export isn't worth it to you, then it's not worth it. I agree, it's weird that it wasn't in v1 of FCP10, but whatever. The FAQ says it's coming, there's an update already scheduled for "summer" and last I checked, FCS3 didn't break the night FCPx was released IF $495 is going to put someone out of business, then perhaps they should save the money and keep using FCP7. If a client needs FCPx and OMF, then simply charge them for it, or build the cost in to the budget.

$495 is not expensive for something that works.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:06:27 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "last I checked, FCS3 didn't break the night FCPx was released"

No it didn't break. You just could no longer buy it.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:11:35 pm

[Scott Sheriff] "No it didn't break. You just could no longer buy it."

It's very true, but I don't think anyone in this thread needs a new copy of FCS3, do they? That's not what I am hearing, but maybe I am wrong.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:27:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That's not what I am hearing, but maybe I am wrong."

Yes, I for one do not have a copy. But I have seen plenty of posts from people that want to add seats to their shop, and now can't.
I also saw a few posts (elsewhere) from people that ordered a computer from apple and the suite from a third party vendor, only to find out their software order can't be filled, and their only choice is Ebay.
My system is pretty stable on OS 10.6.2 and FCP 6.0.6, and I've decided to freeze it there. But you never know what will come in the door tomorrow. I'm a little pissed off that the option to have the $299 upgrade has been taken away without any notice. Had they said it was EOL by a certain date, I would have bought a copy to have on hand.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

wiremu harpuka
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:08:45 pm

What is up with the shouty style? Calm down.
And no, that is not what "PRO" means.
Furthermore you are certainly not at any mature level in grammar, nor spelling.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:10:22 pm

[john spirou] "I am a PRO ,i work in a big TV station"

If you are a pro at a BIG Tee-Vee station, what is your acquisition format? Just curious.

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:21:34 pm

We have all kinds of media... from Digi beta , XDcam, dv-hdv, tapless formats too from HDSLR , .movs from graphics etc.

You can have all this in the new FCPX , we do capturing from Digi Beta with Black magic - Aja and the we can import them in FCPX too .

We dont throw our FCP or Avid or Premiere (we own all of them) .

Our graphics department like to use Adobe suit, editors like Avids, i like FCPx now.

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:24:50 pm

And our final media , is always uncompressed MOVs or AVIs , send via network to the Air.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:57:27 pm

[john spirou] "And our final media , is always uncompressed MOVs or AVIs , send via network to the Air."

OK . mmm. now that sounds a little.. iffy.

You're sending uncompressed AVI's to.. the air.

Whats the data rate on those AVI's? how are they getting to the air? are you tapeless transmission set up? Is it coming off a grassvalley K2 or something?

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:36:12 pm

They compress them, i dont know the codec....

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:36:12 pm

I wasn't offended. But I do have a bunch more questions to add to the list

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/5349/more-questions-raised-by-the-final-c...

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:01:45 am

Outstanding list of questions Richard...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:31:14 pm

Last time I checked most video play-out servers used jpeg 2000 files. I mean the professional ones.

When you say [john spirou] "send via network to the Air"you do mean wireless RF transmission over an antenna?

Return to posts index

Aristides Tiropolis
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:30:39 pm

[john spirou] "And our final media , is always uncompressed MOVs or AVIs , send via network to the Air."

I mean really John..Where do you work? I've read your other postings on another thread on Avid, this kind of commenting reminds me a hell lot of the average "technician" working on Greek TV stations which almost always has their facts wrong... and by the way almost all of them use airtime software with playlists for their air time (SD) with compressed IMX or other mp4 wrapped formats.

We send IMX or ProRes to adstream (a Greek intermediary agency for digital delivery between Post houses and Broadcasters) we would never send uncompressed.

I don't know why you guys are so bold and use uncompressed...Any data center behemoth I don't know about?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:38:52 pm

[john spirou] "PRO doesnt mean Hollywood production.... Means that people earn money from it!
Just that.... Nothing else.

I am a PRO ,i work in a big TV station and i never use EDL, XML etc...so i dont want them.
I dont to pay for them"

You should probably have been using FCE or iMovie all along.

But even better, now you have the NLE of your dreams in FCP X release 1. No reason for you to upgrade at all from here on, especially as you'll be unhappy if EDL or XML import or export is added.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:37:47 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "You should probably have been using FCE or iMovie all along.
"

That made me smile, it shouldn't, but I guess the beatings will continue.

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:51:08 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "You should probably have been using FCE or iMovie all along."

that one cracked me up.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

Matt Callac
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:51:42 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "You should probably have been using FCE or iMovie all along."

that one kracked me up.

-mattyc

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:11:12 pm

[Matt Callac] "that one kracked me up."

The secret ingredient in my Kool Aid is clearly working then...

I probably need to drink some of it... Unfortunately, this situation instills more tears for me at this point than laughter.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new tutorial: Prepare for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/FCP-10-MAC-Lion/1

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:34:46 pm

You used XML in the background if you ever used a SEnd Command in Motion. Your motion graphics department uses it too.

Its usually a background player.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:46:45 pm

[Richard Harrington] "You used XML in the background if you ever used a SEnd Command in Motion. Your motion graphics department uses it too.

Its usually a background player."

That is a great point! In all the "I never use/don't need XML" posts I don't think anyone has mentioned that.
Maybe a lot of us assume they never use any part of the suite but FCP.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]