FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro to ProTools workaround

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Øystein Rabbe
Final Cut Pro to ProTools workaround
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:54:14 am

Hi guys! I am thinking about buying the X2 plugin so I can send my work to protools for audio post.

But before I start spending money I dont have I just had a thought-
Wil there be another way around this?

What if I transcode everything in Final Cut Pro X to ProRes formats and then export an XML
which I import in Final Cut Pro 7 or Premiere Pro CC

Will I then be able to relink and create an AAF or OMF that I can send to Pro Tools?

Has anyone tried this already and can tell me if it will work? Or is it just a waste of time compared to what X2Pro can do?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Final Cut Pro to ProTools workaround
on Dec 18, 2014 at 1:23:02 pm

Both approaches will work with varying results. To go FCPXML from FCP X to FCP 7 you will have to purchase the Xto7 translation utility. FCP 7 can only do OMF. X2Pro only does AAF.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 18, 2014 at 4:39:56 pm

The biggest downside to X2Pro alternatives is the lack of Roles support. X2Pro carries your Roles metadata over into the AAF (you can even change the order in the X2Pro app). Meaning when your engineer opens up your AAF in ProTools it will be all nicely organized and named.

My sound engineers love me!

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Dec 18, 2014 at 11:58:32 pm

If you need to go to Protools even a few times a year, it's worth every penny for how much time it saves.

Return to posts index

Mike Bonner
on Dec 25, 2014 at 7:26:02 pm

You can xml out of fcpx into Davinci Resolve (Lite) , then export an AAF out of Resolve.
Free work around.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 25, 2014 at 8:00:04 pm

[Mike Bonner] "You can xml out of fcpx into Davinci Resolve (Lite) , then export an AAF out of Resolve."

I would not recommend Resolve to convert for audio. In my experience, the roundtrip does not correctly interpret interleaved stereo versus dual-mono versus dual-mono paired as stereo. I have not seen a successful transfer for audio in the few tests that I tried.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 27, 2014 at 10:21:02 pm

I too considered Resolve as a potential way to get an AAF from a fcpxml. However I have found that to get an xml from X into Resolve to grade I now asked editors to give me one minus all audio as getting the audio tracks into Resolve from X is (as Oliver said) fraught. I prefer to steal a mix track from a reference QT and add that to the picture only timeline prior to grading.

Perhaps this might change. But in the meantime x2pro is the best path. What I find remarkable is how editors whinge at having to pay for x2pro software and that somehow automagically, audio post should be able to sort out the translation. In anticipation of this and the problems with the limited X to Fairlight jobs I have done, I have asked the dev team at Fairlight to look into reading fcpxml directly including converting Roles into tracks. Fairlight can import FCP Legend xmls. Cutting out the intermediary AAF stage would be a joy but until Apple stops changing fcpxml no one is likely to make such a development commitment.

Return to posts index

Nicolas Lunard
on Jun 22, 2015 at 12:55:03 pm

I've tried this but can't import AAF into Protools... The session is empty !

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 22, 2015 at 1:11:20 pm

[Nicolas Lunard] "I've tried this but can't import AAF into Protools... The session is empty !"

Correct. Resolve should not be used to roundtrip audio. To get to ProTools, use X2Pro Audio Convert to export AAF directly from FCP X.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]