FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looks like the PC fanbois were right after all...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Poll
Looks like the PC fanbois were right after all...
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:03:16 am

I never really believed it, and always argued against it, but after the release of this schizophrenic gene-spliced mutation of iMovie and Final Cut Pro, and Apple's abandonment of the Pro market and its inhabitants, it seems that all those PC fanbois were right after all:

Apple is nothing more than a toy company, making shiny toys for people with too much money to burn.

Maybe - one day - FCP X will get back to being able to do what FCP 7 can do right now, but I doubt it. If it does, it will be no thanks to Apple, as they seem to have left it up to Third parties to do all the work for them, while they embark on a course to seemingly dumb down the actual Mac OS itself (turning OS X into "iOS Pro" - but that's another discussion we'll have to get into after Lion comes out).

One thing that really concerns me is that if Apple decides that the Pro market has bailed on them for good, then there will be no incentive for them to even continue offering the "promised upgrades" or to improve the system for Pro users. All they'll care about is making sure that it's super-easy for Johnny Amateur to upload his self-important video about head lice to YouTube.

What a terrible week this has been - and not just for Apple or the Post Production community, but also for the Mac community. There's been a lot of bile thrown at Apple this past week (and justifiably so, IMHO), but we've also seen an awful fracture in the Mac community itself, what with all the "young minds, fresh ideas" people complaining that all the Pros are old luddites who can't handle change, etc. It really is sad to see. Here I was thinking what a great community we had - full of people devoted to the Mac, but after this past week and seeing all the infighting and outfighting, one really begins to wonder why one bothers at all. I do realize that I'm generalizing when I say that, and that there are a lot of dedicated and helpful souls around, but does anyone else find this bickering just so utterly depressing? (And I am aware of the irony of me posting this depressing, bickering message complaining about depressing and bickering messages... so no need to point that out to me!)

Oh well, that's my $0.02 for what it's worth... Back to work with FCP 7 (on self-arranged dual displays, connected with fibre-channel to Promise RAID, using XML import for bins and OMF export for audio, HD scopes and Kona LHe for monitoring to a professional display)! Really Apple, *What were you thinking??*

P.S. Aindreas Gallagher, please keep writing your spleen-venting posts here... Your sense of wit really lightens up my day ! :-)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: Looks like the PC fanbois were right after all...
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:36:53 am

[James Poll] "we've also seen an awful fracture in the Mac community itself, what with all the "young minds, fresh ideas" people complaining that all the Pros are old luddites who can't handle change, etc."

Aside from that vomit inducing timeline, this has been my second biggest let-down.

[James Poll] "P.S. Aindreas Gallagher, please keep writing your spleen-venting posts here... Your sense of wit really lightens up my day ! :-)"

When Aindreas (or if) he commits to taking off the gloves, this will be my third biggest let-down...

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:29:55 pm

lads I can't keep up the invective, I'll get an ulcer, or start randomly kicking cats in a tourettes fit or something...

Sure anyone reading all the posts would know my own burbling thoughts on things now, because I keep repeating them - unless Apple takes the next logical step and physically starts sending me flaming turd bags in the post, there isn't a huge amount left for me to add. The whole being rude to Randy diatribe pretty much states my irritation - I'm even more irritated because the underpinnings of this software actually seem somewhat brave and killer - the motion publishing rigs thing is also totally mental and shockingly cool when you look into it.

The bottom line is that we are a molecule on a pimple on the back of a fly clinging to the left arse cheek of the financial consumer electronics behometh that is Apple. We do punch above our weight tho as a profession - Biscardi was just interviewed by Variety - to me that kind of represents the end point ne plus ultra of everyone throwing verbal bricks at apple (and that class vid from jeffrey harrell) - there is no way, at this point, they cannot know our deep reservations, we have kicked up a decent press storm - sure look at the poor x-code guys, when that thing turned into itunes or something at rev 4, you didn't see that getting picked up by the WSJ... thats as much as we could hope to do - they've got a bit of a PR turd on their shoe, which they never like, and they have been made eminently aware of the problems professional facilities face in trying to deploy this software. Now it really is just a question of whether apple give a crap about that tiny fly on their half mile wide magnificent buttock. What we don't know, As Adam Lisagor put it, is whether Steve Jobs give a sh*t about video:

"Which leads us to wonder just how much of a shit does Steve give about FCP? Does Steve know or has he ever known, when we look past The Vision and get closer to the user, why FCP has become the market leader and the success that it has? This just feels like a lot of success of an established product taken for granted. "

Thats it - either apple/steve give a crap, or they don't. We're going to find out.

this is, according to a mate, is an excellent pro training series - I'm buying it.
http://www.video2brain.com/en/products-28.htm
Premiere still has a bunch of deficiencies - no delivery codec, no prores no dnx - the keyboard based trimming is a little poor apparently, but their next release will be in under 12 months - you can bet your very last dollar it will be a significant release. If it gets a bit past FCP7 overall, if you can look at it and say -
thats FCP7.5 in my mind, thats FCP 7.5 but it's fully 64bit, it's working natively with R3D, just *throwing* R3D around and it has full adobe AE PS integration... -

who here doesn't think that isn't going to capture pretty vast amounts of the low middle to medium high end market? For Gods sake it can actually import FCP7 projects via XML.

I'll still learn FCPX, fairly properly, you'd be mad not to, but there is no way under God I would rely on it as my professional skill set going forward. That would be crazy.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Joe Moya
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:01:57 pm

"Premiere still has a bunch of deficiencies - no delivery codec,..."

Well... PPro doesn't doesn't have it's own codec... but, a nicely priced 3rd party vendor has a codec that also works VERY well with AVID (and still works with EOL FCP)... it is called Cineform - NeoScene.

http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/

In fact, I am surprised that PPro hasn't bought the company. In fact, It's capabilites exceed ProRes and Avid's XMF... and makes working with H264 a very nice experience regardless of editing application (except FCPX).

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:12:04 pm

I know - I looked into cineform - seems just fine to me - but then gopro went and bought them, I'm not sure what thats doing to codec commercial availability - a few premiere heads wailed that adobe missed an easy opportunity to pick up their own codec there.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:22:35 am

Welcome to the club!
Maybe we need our own Luddite forum.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Ron Thompson
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:45:32 am

[James Poll] "All they'll care about is making sure that it's super-easy for Johnny Amateur to upload his self-important video about head lice to YouTube."

LOL!!!! Quote of the day!

Wasn't aware of the "old vs. new" debate, but if newbie editors wanna play with the big boys, that will soon realize FCPX is not the tool.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 30, 2011 at 7:53:44 am

Thats probably why DaVinci Resolve runs great on my mac system.

Return to posts index

MIke Guidotti
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:56:09 pm

We are not luddites. We are actually reverse-luddites; based on our chief complaints about the iMovie X "upgrade."

I elaborate further here;
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/7671

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:38:16 pm

[MIke Guidotti] "We are not luddites. We are actually reverse-luddites; based on our chief complaints about the iMovie X "upgrade.""

I was using it as a term of endearment.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:36:00 pm

[James Poll] "All they'll care about is making sure that it's super-easy for Johnny Amateur to upload his self-important video about head lice to YouTube."

Damn funny! Wish I said that.

[James Poll] "but we've also seen an awful fracture in the Mac community itself, what with all the "young minds, fresh ideas" people complaining that all the Pros are old luddites who can't handle change, etc. It really is sad to see. Here I was thinking what a great community we had - full of people devoted to the Mac, but after this past week and seeing all the infighting and outfighting, one really begins to wonder why one bothers at all. I do realize that I'm generalizing when I say that, and that there are a lot of dedicated and helpful souls around, but does anyone else find this bickering just so utterly depressing?"

Three cheers for you!
Actually this has been going on for a while. I think the rise of the 5D, and the rise of the posts that criticize those that paved the way is not a coincidence.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Hans Dampf
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:19:25 pm

Maybe we should also take a look on lightworks. well, it's in the beta phase but the roadmap sounds pretty good. and it has got many pro features.

http://www.lightworksbeta.com

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:06:18 pm

[Hans Dampf] "Maybe we should also take a look on lightworks. well, it's in the beta phase but the roadmap sounds pretty good. and it has got many pro features."

I agree. The Beta PC version has been out for a while. No word on Mac.
Maybe the FCP X boondogle will light a fire under them to get the Mac version done.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Hans Dampf
on Jul 2, 2011 at 1:49:43 pm

As the roadmap says, they want to get a Mac and Linus version at the end of this year. In the meantime I will get familiar to this software. I just checked it a little bit and its amazing fast and the trim tool is outstanding.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]