FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPad and FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
iPad and FCP X
on Dec 13, 2014 at 8:50:28 am

ust purchased an iPad Air 2 and was wondering what (if any) control surface is available. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: iPad and FCP X
on Dec 13, 2014 at 2:04:04 pm
Last Edited By Rick Lang on Dec 13, 2014 at 2:22:54 pm

David, over the years there has been discussion about using the iPad to assist editing or as a control surface. Here's an article about TouchEdit, which is in the App Store (free, lite, full version integrates with FCP X), but you can search for other references:
https://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/TouchEdit-iPad-Editing_Lebent...

There is also ProCutX and CTLR+Console in the App Store which may be closer to what you may be interested in.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Dec 13, 2014 at 4:10:26 pm

There's been much discussion about the usefulness of these. I think that any use as simple shortcuts to command-keys; you're probably better to learn the keyboard shortcuts and just do good keyboard mapping. Cause once you know them you can do them without looking, which you can't really do with a tablet.

The best functions for iPads would be things people are already using control surfaces for- like colour correction or audio mixing. In a perfect world I see Apple creating its own app for this, like they did for LogicProX.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:07:01 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 13, 2014 at 5:07:20 pm

[Marcus Moore] " In a perfect world I see Apple creating its own app for this, like they did for LogicProX."

I hope they do this too. The "control surfaces" that exist, while mostly well done, are really of limited use IMO. The Logic Remote is awesome, and a perfect example of what could be possible. Having, say, the inspector/FX HUDs/Color Controls/Scopes etc. always open on an iPad would be amazing.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 14, 2014 at 10:54:21 pm

Contour shuttle pro ftw.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:12:33 am

Thanks for the information everyone, much appreciated. Is there any control surface available for Resolve as well or would a hardware based panel be better? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 15, 2014 at 6:10:44 pm

Well, there's that modest little Resolve control surface that comes in a package for right around $30,000.

Just search Resolve Control Surface and click on the pictures of the thing that looks like it would be at home on the bridge of the USS Enterprise.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:03:41 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on Dec 15, 2014 at 8:10:30 pm

[Bill Davis] "modest little Resolve control surface"

Messed around with a couple of the iPad offerings -- no tactile feedback, requires that you take your eye 'off the ball', *not the controls* -- the picture that you should be working on, so distracting -- and continually dropping off the wireless workgroup. So logging back in every few minutes was not helping the workflow.

Actually the Resolve controller is quite modest. I have spent that much at least on the succeeding generations of Tangent surfaces over the years, starting with the -200s. If Resolve had been a product when I started my own business, that is what I would have done, but it was daVinci then and that company was dedicated to the 2K+, at a budget level that is no longer imaginable by most on this forum.

If you want something for the bridge of the Enterprise, also check out the Baselight Blackboard.
http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/resources/video/general/blackboard2.php

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]