FORUMS: list search recent posts

Decentralized editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Decentralized editing
on Dec 12, 2014 at 8:40:48 am

Interesting blog post about the new integration between MediaSilo and PPro.
http://postperspective.com/review-mediasilo-premiereprelude-integration/?ut...

I'm skeptical about how this would go for editing (at least editing the things I usually edit) but the other collaborate aspects of it (approvals, publishing of final projects, logging/tagging dailies, etc.,) are interesting too (and probably closer to being game ready). This is another example of what Michael Cioni was talking about during his Live Play demo about getting information into post in a more useful, streamlined manor.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
Re: Decentralized editing
on Dec 12, 2014 at 6:57:46 pm

I will say that it is pretty nifty (even aside from Premiere Pro integration), and there are a few large accounts that I work with (NYC) that use this solution quite heavily. It may not fit for everybody, but without a doubt, it is an interesting solution to collaboration without too much compromise.

Cheers,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 12, 2014 at 10:08:01 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "I will say that it is pretty nifty (even aside from Premiere Pro integration), and there are a few large accounts that I work with (NYC) that use this solution quite heavily. It may not fit for everybody, but without a doubt, it is an interesting solution to collaboration without too much compromise.
"

Dennis, how does something like this compare/contrast to Adobe Anywhere?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 14, 2014 at 2:42:07 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Dennis, how does something like this compare/contrast to Adobe Anywhere?"

Hi Andrew,

In a nutshell, Anywhere creates real-time streams from the original media - but there are no real proxies per se. Those streams are saved for the session so that if you replay the clip, you are not hitting the server or the network again. Media Silo actually automatically generates proxies and sends those down for you.

Also, Anywhere is a private, on-premise solution - a private cloud. Media Silo is obviously a hosted cloud system.

Cheers,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 14, 2014 at 7:33:20 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "In a nutshell, Anywhere creates real-time streams from the original media - but there are no real proxies per se. Those streams are saved for the session so that if you replay the clip, you are not hitting the server or the network again. Media Silo actually automatically generates proxies and sends those down for you. "

Thanks Dennis, this is the part that wasn't clear to me in the blog.

So going the MediaSilo route you are working with proxies which means at the end of the edit you (or someone else) needs to switch from the proxies to the full res camera masters for finishing and final export. How is that done and how reliable is it? In the blog it mentioned that there are still some rough edges since this is so new (which is understandable) but I'm just trying to get an idea of where things stand now.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Dec 15, 2014 at 1:24:30 am

To be honest Andrew, I haven't done it but would assume that it would be easy to relink to your original media that is on local storage. This article is actually NAB '14-ish and I have a meeting scheduled with MediaSilo to see their most recent work in January, so I am looking forward to see what their latest is.

Again, I will say that I have several customers whose opinion I trust that have invested in this workflow quite heavily and if it is good enough for them, then chances are it's pretty darn good.

I have a MediaSilo demo account and will see if I can do a quick test at some point in the future.

Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]