FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sending FCPX Feedback to Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
Sending FCPX Feedback to Apple
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:43:25 am

Thought this might be useful to folks looking to send feedback to Apple about FCPX: bugs, feature requests, etc. Here's how to make it most effective:

http://www.fcpworks.com/submitting-better-fcpx-feedback-to-apple/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sending FCPX Feedback to Apple
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:20:28 pm

That's a great article Noah. As a developer myself, the three critical questions I ask customers are:
  1. What steps did you follow to reproduce the problem?
  2. What happened?
  3. What did you expect to happen?
The last one is critical because sometimes what you expect to happen is not what is supposed to happen which tells the programmer that it may be a misunderstanding about how the program is supposed to work. This is especially important when beta testing software because if enough customers expect something to happen that doesn't, then maybe that's the way the program actually should work.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Dec 5, 2014 at 1:08:21 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Thought this might be useful to folks looking to send feedback to Apple about FCPX: bugs, feature requests, etc. Here's how to make it most effective:

http://www.fcpworks.com/submitting-better-fcpx-feedback-to-apple/

Noah"

Noah,

Great article. In fact I was wondering why you went dark there for a while and barely appeared on this forum.

I hope all is well,

-paul.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:21:34 pm

Nice job Noah.

I admit that one part did make me chuckle though... your section on "ER" where you suggest that we should explain why we need something, after listing "Round-tripping to Motion" as an example. I would have thought the Round-tripping to Motion would be such an obvious thing that it wouldn't need to be explained... but then maybe I'm the only one that feels that way.

Good to see you back, Noah...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:46:03 pm

I'll put it this way: self-evidence is not the same to all selves.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Dec 5, 2014 at 5:54:23 pm

Ahh... Zen Hour... I like that.

Given how often it's been mentioned here, I thought it was obvious... but I guess you don't think it's a necessary thing?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 6, 2014 at 7:55:40 am

Oh it's very necessary but the specific use case is sought.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2014 at 4:57:57 pm

I can't help but think FCPX developers are aware of the demand but have some new way to handle this that's been difficult/time consuming/AVFoundation dependent to implement. Granted this is highly speculative.

As time goes on, I think we're not seeing certain "obvious" features implemented because they're working on a more difficult to implement alterantive.

I do wish Apple had some base level of communication. It would be nice to get even a basic:

"We hear you, we have something in mind, it'll take time to implement."
Something like that would at least let us know that a feature request is on their radar even if they can't say much else.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 6, 2014 at 7:07:01 pm

I too feel that if some features need to be requested, then perhaps the wrong people are making the software.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 6, 2014 at 7:25:43 pm

[Bret Williams] "I too feel that if some features need to be requested, then perhaps the wrong people are making the software."
That depends on the software development philosophy of the team. Some development teams include features they think customers need and run the risk of wasting development resource on features no one will use (or a very small percentage of people). Some development teams only include features that customers request. This ensures that your development efforts are not wasted.

How many people need round-tripping from Motion? I would certainly make use of it, but I do a lot of motion graphics. It would be interesting to see the sales numbers from FCP X and Motion to see if most people who buy FCP X buy Motion too (I certainly did). If the number was small then round-tripping would not be at the top of the developers priority list.

It's always good to ask for features no matter how obvious you think the need is, so that development teams can gauge what are the most important things to customers. There will always be more features than developers so helping the development team prioritize customer needs is always a good thing for us to do as customers.

~jr

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 7, 2014 at 4:44:22 am

Speaking of Motion and FCP X integration, I would love to see the ability to build a template you can actually use directly inside of X, would make life a bit easier. For example, I would like to add a choice of a matte to a clip and have that over a background.

Example:

Have three mattes to choose from, apply that to a clip and place that over a background. Matte option would be from a rig set up inside of Motion, with ability to invert said matte and choose from a different background. This way, it would be possible to avoid a compound clip and make direct changes. Love to hear what others think.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 8, 2014 at 1:29:40 pm

You could certainly build the effect, but we already have the matte effect (but I prefer the compound/stencil method)and I wouldn't want the background bundled with the clip and effect.the background would usually be under many clips and effects which are transitioning in front.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 9, 2014 at 4:45:00 pm

Probably a stretch here, but would it be possible to do this with an adjustment layer? Referring back to a previous post of mine.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2014 at 5:19:46 pm

[John Rofrano] " If the number was small then round-tripping would not be at the top of the developers priority list."

But does a round trip option make a good case for FCPX/Motion over PP/AE? Especially those who may not need all the extra horsepower of AE? Just posing the question....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 10, 2014 at 4:50:48 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "But does a round trip option make a good case for FCPX/Motion over PP/AE?"
I guess we have to start by defining what we mean by the term "round trip". Maybe this should be a separate thread so that more people are attracted by the title.

For me I'd like to see dropping a Motion project into the FCP X timeline. Then you should be able to right-click and "Open in Motion" to change it. Conversely it might be nice to be able to create a Compound Clip and then right-click and "Convert to Motion Project" and have the clips inside be the starting point for a Motion project. When you're done editing in Motion, you would "Send to FCP X" and again have a Motion project on the timeline where the compound clip once was. (...just thinking out loud here) ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]