FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphics Card Upgrade for 2008 Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Walker
Graphics Card Upgrade for 2008 Mac Pro
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:26:10 am

Hello friends,

I was told by the all mighty App Store that my graphics card is not compatible for FCPs due to it not being Open CL capable.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro
Current Card:ATI Radeon HD 2600

What graphics cards out there are compatible with a 2008 Mac Pro?
I ordered the Radeon HD 5750, plugged it in, the fan ran, but it did not work, and no picture was displayed. Any advice, or cards that have worked for you would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
Re: Graphics Card Upgrade for 2008 Mac Pro
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:46:11 am

I assume you are talking about the Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz aka Mac Pro 1,1. If so the ATI 5770 is a very good bet. It is not supported by Apple but more than a few of us have it installed and running without issue. Mine has 3 24" monitors on the one card. It just works.

One caveat, you will need ONE dual-link DVI adapter if you are running 2 monitors off the display ports that are 24" or bigger. The dual-link adapter goes onto one of the display ports but only hooks up to one of the monitors.

--
Steadicam & Camera Operator

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:48:55 am

Hey Andrew,

I actually have the 2x2.8 ghz Quad core Intel Zeon.....but I would assume the 5770 would still be good to go? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:07:12 am

I don't see why not if it works in the older Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz machine.

Do a google on the 5770 and your machine. You should get the skinny from the search results.

--

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:29:25 am

It works for all Mac pros. You can get the Apple one or buy different configs off eBay that are PC ones flashed to Mac. I ordered one with 2 DVIs, 1 regular display port, and 1 hdmi port. I have 2 DVI monitors and no need for mini display port, but HDMI comes in handy. Generally $200.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:00:00 am

Bought 5770 from Apple for $249 for my MacPro 2008 and it works fine.

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:02:20 am

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Return to posts index

Steve Mitchell
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:49:51 am

Using the Radeon 5870 and it works great as well.

27" main monitor on dvi port, 24" secondary monitor on one of the mini display ports

Final Cut X has limited options of what you can display on the 2nd monitor.... I use the viewer.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:00:47 am

[Steve Mitchell] "Using the Radeon 5870 and it works great as well."

FCP X also screams on a GTX285. Best bet for picking up a Mac card these days is eBay. We bought our 285 from this seller, and it has been rock solid in Resolve through many 10 hour grading days. The 480s available now should be even faster, but requires external power.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:21:18 am

Chris curious about how the NVIDIA GTX285 and NVIDIA cards in general play with other video apps when compared to ATI cards.

Would you say that someone who is going to be moving to a Premiere Pro / Resolve workflow should be looking at an NVIDIA card as opposed to an ATI card?

--

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:26:10 am

[Andrew Stone] "Would you say that someone who is going to be moving to a Premiere Pro / Resolve workflow should be looking at an NVIDIA card as opposed to an ATI card?"

Absolutely, yes. Premiere's Mercury Playback Engine only provides GPU acceleration via CUDA, which is NVIDIA-only. You will get no GPU acceleration in Premiere with an ATI card.

Resolve was CUDA-only until Resolve 8 (released literally yesterday); its CUDA rendering is still a fair bit faster than its OpenCL rendering, and there are still some CUDA-only features, like the new noise reduction function.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Andrew Stone
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:09:53 am

Thanks for that Chris. Brings a lot of clarity to the matter of GPU utilization. I was only vaguely informed on CUDA. This clears it up.

At this point if I am going to get yet another video card it will be in a new machine. It will probably be a PC though and not so much out of spite from the events of this past week but a realization that came about from reassessing my workflow a few days ago. I quickly realized that all my apps with exception of Logic work well in a PC environment. Some in fact work a lot better on a PC.

I still have to think this through but I will need to upgrade my machine relatively soon and of course there will be costs associated with shifting software licensing. I will also be watching closely how the industry responds to what appears to be a tectonic shift in video post production workflow if Premiere and AVID became accepted editing environments going forward in place of FCP & AVID.

Almost certainly Resolve will become the grading tool of choice for most in the industry who were using Apple Color unless Colorista takes off while everything is in flux.

No one really knows how things will shake down but what we do know is it won't be the status quo.

--

Return to posts index

David Burch
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:31:37 am

Also don't forget Sorensen Squeeze. It uses CUDA as well.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:14:08 am

For those in this thread that want to get an understanding of Mac performance with Premiere and possibly a nvidia GPU, this article might help.

Premiere Pro on a Mac

Return to posts index

Ryan Walker
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:23:19 pm

Looking at this graphics card here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338&cm_re=radeo...

Thoughts anyone?

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 1, 2011 at 3:40:19 am

I'm looking to upgrade the vid card on my 2008 3,1 Mac Pro soon... leaning toward the 5770 since I've heard that it works on any Mac Pro despite Apple's assertion to the contrary. Was looking at the Quadro 4000 but I've heard very bad things about it, everything from no 10-bit support with FCP7/Color to kernel panics and it seems to break everytime there's an update. How is the GTX 285? Can anyone comment on how it works in 2008 3,1 Mac Pros?

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Tim Webb
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:27:58 am

I upgraded to the 5770 from the standard 7300GT on my MacPro 1,1 and I've never looked back. I'm yet to get a mini-display port adapter so I've got my second monitor running off the 7300GT in the 4th PCI slot...I'm under the impression I could be getting performance hits with the 2 cards installed. Just about to take the 7300 out to find out....

Return to posts index

Tim Webb
on Jul 4, 2011 at 12:07:04 pm

After I pulled my 7300GT, the 5770 absolutely rockets in my MacPro1,1 - I'm sure it'll be a great addition to your MacPro 3,1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]