<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Pro Video Formats Update!
on Dec 2, 2014 at 9:17:03 pm

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Pro Video Formats Update!
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:14:52 pm

Does this update of MXF handling make you change the way you handle importing and storing files? We shoot on P2 cards a lot here, and I try to always first import the entire card into a new folder in the scratch drive, before I fire up FCPX and import footage. the young hotheads in my office just import direct off the P2 card and rock on, and I always wonder if I'm being overly cautious or just smarter.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:08:46 pm

[Mark Suszko] "the young hotheads in my office just import direct off the P2 card and rock on, and I always wonder if I'm being overly cautious or just smarter."

If the footage doesn't exist in two locations...it doesn't exist. Unless your footage is backed up...twice, then it really isn't backed up. BACK UP FIRST, to two drives...then import to your media drive. Those hotheads will lose a drive or not back up a P2 card and lose footage and they'll really be hurting.

It really does take mistakes and failure to learn lessons I think...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:14:42 pm

[Shane Ross] "If the footage doesn't exist in two locations...it doesn't exist. Unless your footage is backed up...twice, then it really isn't backed up."
+1

Well said. You are most vulnerable the moment you take the card out of the camera because you only have one copy. I immediately create a Camera Archive to my RAID 5 array. Then I backup the archive from the RAID 5 into an external hard drive. Finally I import the media into my Library so there is always a working copy and two backups. Note that RAID 5 in and of itself is not a backup. RAID 5 is for uninterrupted use in case of a single drive failure. You still need a backup!
[Shane Ross] "Those hotheads will lose a drive or not back up a P2 card and lose footage and they'll really be hurting. "
I rather like the saying: "There is no compression algorithm for experience!" ;-) (over time, they will learn)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Dec 3, 2014 at 2:06:05 pm

[John Rofrano] "Well said. You are most vulnerable the moment you take the card out of the camera because you only have one copy. I immediately create a Camera Archive to my RAID 5 array. Then I backup the archive from the RAID 5 into an external hard drive. Finally I import the media into my Library so there is always a working copy and two backups. Note that RAID 5 in and of itself is not a backup. RAID 5 is for uninterrupted use in case of a single drive failure. You still need a backup!"

So two copies of the media are on the same array? I'd call that one backup, not two backups. It would protect against corruption(pretty rare) not media failure. Everyone has their own system that works for them, so I'm not criticizing here. But I'd be uncomfortable relying on a backup on the same drive. If your external dies while on the shelf you are pretty vulnerable to loss. If your external drive is always live then it's less risk as you would know when it dies.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:10:17 pm

[Brett Sherman] "So two copies of the media are on the same array? I'd call that one backup, not two backups."
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have 3 physical drives for backup and a 4th for working in progress. The RAID 5 has 9TB of all of my archives on-line (Camera Archives and Project Archives). That is backed up to external hard drives via USB 3. I back up the camera archives to a different drive than the projects. These are 1TB drives so there are multiples of these as they get full.

That's 3 copies of backup because while the camera archives contain all of the footage, the project archives also contain the footage again that I've used in the project because I always copy the media into my libraries. So the footage exists twice on the RAID 5, then again on the Camera Archive backup drive, then again on the Project Archive backup drive but only the footage I've imported into the project.

Then the 4th place is my video project drive where all of my current work is. That's the 4th copy while I'm working but at the end of the project that gets archived to the RAID 5 and an external project backup drive and gets removed from my working projects drive. So that's not really a backup because it's transient. In the end I'm left with 3 copies on 3 drives (Camera Archive drive + Project Archive drive + RAID 5) When the 9TB RAID 5 gets full I'll just buy another one. It's a CineRAID 4 disk enclosure with 4 x 3TB WD RED NAS drives with the RAID controller built in.

This is what it looks like:

Backup Storage:
RAID 5 -> Camera Archives + Project Archives
Ext HD 1* -> Camera Archives
Ext HD 2* -> Project Archives
* multiple drives as they get full

Working Storage:
Video Projects HD -> Current projects but these are transient for the life of a project

Hope that clears up any confusion. I think you assumed I was editing on the RAID 5 as well. I am not.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:15:21 pm

Perhaps we will see an update to X in the next couple of weeks.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:22:55 pm

Apple Intermediate Codec? This is really 2.0?

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:26:22 pm

I'm not getting this. Is there really an FCPX 10.2 and if so is that all there is?

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:40:42 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:42:34 pm

There is a 10.1.4 update in the store, but it only downloads if you reinstall FCP X right now. My guess is it'll be "live" soon. So the full install is there, but no updater yet. Seems like a maintenance release, with the MXF export added.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:45:21 pm

I get an "update" option when you go to the FCP X page in the app store

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 2, 2014 at 10:49:45 pm

[Steve Connor] "I get an "update" option when you go to the FCP X page in the app store"

Click it... for me nothing ever happens...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:48:22 pm

Working fine now.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:00:06 pm

Web site has been updated but still can't download. Maybe a reboot?

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT6423

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:43:27 pm

Nice!

Looks like it was Apple that purchased MXF4mac!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:48:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Looks like it was Apple that purchased MXF4mac!
"

Proof they're not interested in the pro market! :-/

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:45:35 am

I don't even know what the "pro" market is anymore. If it ever even existed. What I'd like to know is that if Apple really purchased MXF4mac then what does that buy me as an Apple customer?

And also, Tim Wilson, I would like to propose that anyone who from this point forward uses the wordoid "pro" be banned from the human race. Or whatever is within your power. At the very least you should be able to transform them to unicorns.

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:35:03 am

[TImothy Auld] "I don't even know what the "pro" market is anymore. If it ever even existed. "

lol me neither really. I was joking, for old times' sake ;-)

[TImothy Auld] "What I'd like to know is that if Apple really purchased MXF4mac then what does that buy me as an Apple customer?"

Well, if you need to make MXF's it gets you a solution built into the OS/Compressor/Motion/FCP X that previously cost around $900...

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:52:14 am

Well, since Avid appears to be running away from mxf (which is primarily what made Avid so dependable lo these many years) I'm not sure I'll have that much call for it. Cheers to those who benefit.

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:59:53 am

[TImothy Auld] "Avid appears to be running away from mxf"

Really? Did I miss something?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 8, 2014 at 9:46:49 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Really? Did I miss something?"

No, you didn't miss anything (and in my experience you rarely do.) Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a few days but what I was referring to was Avid's increasing emphasis on AMA which in my experience has been, to put the best face on it, a mixed bag. MXF in my opinion has always been one on the main reasons that Avid has been so solid for so many years.

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 9, 2014 at 1:25:57 am

[TImothy Auld] "I was referring to was Avid's increasing emphasis on AMA which in my experience has been, to put the best face on it, a mixed bag. MXF in my opinion has always been one on the main reasons that Avid has been so solid for so many years."

Sorry, now I understand. I agree. Direct native media import is useful, but there certainly is something to be said for an optimized managed media store. (See also FCP X, Autodesk Smoke.)

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2014 at 2:02:21 am

[TImothy Auld] "No, you didn't miss anything (and in my experience you rarely do.) Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a few days but what I was referring to was Avid's increasing emphasis on AMA which in my experience has been, to put the best face on it, a mixed bag. MXF in my opinion has always been one on the main reasons that Avid has been so solid for so many years.

Tim

"

It's not an either/or thing though. For example, you can use AMA to create links to your tapeless media so you can do an offline/online workflow.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2014 at 12:19:06 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "For example, you can use AMA to create links to your tapeless media so you can do an offline/online workflow."

Andrew - Are you using AMA for "heavy lifting" editing or just preview and selection and then transcode from there? Last time I looked at AMA, many Avid folks themselves said it was best used for selection, not heavy editing. That was a couple years ago, however.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2014 at 5:53:22 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Andrew - Are you using AMA for "heavy lifting" editing or just preview and selection and then transcode from there? Last time I looked at AMA, many Avid folks themselves said it was best used for selection, not heavy editing. That was a couple years ago, however.
"

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't use AMA for actual editing, just as a way to facilitate an offline/online workflow using tapeless media. So AMA link to raw media, transcode into offline codec, edit, and then re-link to raw media via AMA, transcode into online codec once the edit is locked.

I know Avid has done a lot to improve AMA reliability in the last couple of versions, but I just haven't experimented with it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2014 at 10:44:27 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I know Avid has done a lot to improve AMA reliability in the last couple of versions, but I just haven't experimented with it."

Thanks Andrew. I agree and, like you, it's been a while.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2014 at 3:37:27 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 3, 2014 at 1:00:46 pm

It also allows import of MXF based cameras with no transcoding or rewrapping.

Sony cameras use MXF, as well as Panasonic and Canon.

Export of MXF allows broadcast deliverables.

Michael White, in this thread, linked to an article that does a really nice job of explaining what is going on with AS-11 (an MXF variant). http://www.10dot1.co.uk/content/FCPX,%20MXF%20&%20AS-11%20FINAL.pdf

Apple has never really supported MXF as a file format directly in the OS. MXF has always required to be flipped to .mov, unless you had a helper like MXF4mac.

This makes things very easy, and having MXF export (as well as import) ensures cross platform compatibility for many many formats, as well as adhering to broadcast formats and standards.

I have used MXF4mac for a long time. They make great products and Apple was smart to purchase them. I also believe that this shows Apple's interest in catering to the professional broadcast user.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Dec 3, 2014 at 6:17:44 am

Jeremy wrote [Nice!
Looks like it was Apple that purchased MXF4mac!
Jeremy
]

Nobody knows. But make a search for the chief engineer of MXF4mac at Apple' employee list.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 3, 2014 at 4:14:28 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "Nobody knows. But make a search for the chief engineer of MXF4mac at Apple' employee list."

What a coincidence. :)

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:27:45 am

Thank you, Charlie.

Tim

Return to posts index

Michael White
on Dec 2, 2014 at 11:32:21 pm

An interesting paper written by a close friend Alex Snelling. On using the update to make AS-11 files.

http://www.10dot1.co.uk/guides#fcpx-as-11

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Dec 3, 2014 at 12:48:24 am

Just tested it - works great.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Dec 3, 2014 at 5:14:10 am

Same here - opened up super fast for some reason...

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]