FORUMS: list search recent posts

we all yelled our way into the wall street journal

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
we all yelled our way into the wall street journal
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:57:32 pm

well maybe not just cow we, but general editing community fist shaking we at any rate.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2011/06/29/apple-responds-to-video-editors-grum...

WSJ goes pretty easy on them - who cares - NYT next! Le Monde! Must we shake the very gates of Cupertino? Until, like a clinically deaf Evita, Jobs finally hear our plaintive cries? mmm? do we have to do an interpretative dance flashmob in the apple canteen?
I... will personally settle for exposed, or frankly, even drawn on fake tracks. Just straight black lines where they think tracks would go, like black marker tights on british ladies in the war.
Even some fake mute and solo buttons would be soothing, they could just make them in photoshop. I hardly ever soloed. I did mute quite a lot tho.. sigh.. and an ability to turn off the anti-matter generated magnetic warp core engine, really just hear that whole thing go from a high pitched whine all the way down to silence and off. And then I'll just move clips around quietly, and have nothing else at all happen when I do. I'll drink tea, and just move clips around, and nothing else insane will happen to the timeline when I do.
I know - position tool. its just... not the same. I know the position tool is holding back an insane timeline.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

J Hussar
Re: we all yelled our way into the wall street journal
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:25:00 am

Steve hates bad press - he really does.

The worse thing that our complaining does is make Apple aware that they have to make really good software - and not to take pros for granted. Even those who are prosumers and like FCPX will get the benefit of those who complained.

It's an old and true saying... "the squeaky wheel get the grease..."

Return to posts index

Stevo Chang
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:27:52 am

*squeak* *squeak*

Director | Writer | DP | VFX Sup |
Aspiring Carpenter | Unintentional 1-man Crew

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 30, 2011 at 6:20:10 am

"Even those who are prosumers and like FCPX will get the benefit of those who complained."

That's nice. Call every single professional on this forum and around the world who likes the software and has a positive attitude a prosumer.

Very clever. Your pretty loud from a keyboard but I'm sure you wouldn't run your mouths much in a room full of professionals.

Taking credit for Apple FAQ is at best delusional.

You go man! You can change the world from that keyboard.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 30, 2011 at 9:46:07 am

"You go man! You can change the world from that keyboard" said David Batistella.

No need to be quite so mean there, every single press report says that the FAQ appearing, and the suddenly modified detail of the tech specs page - which you can really actually tell was written in a hurry, was a result of the general uproar. Or debacle. Or Fiasco.
The cow, to be fair, is a part of that uproar - when quoting issues with the software, David Pogue directly quoted posts on this forum.

Although i do respect the nihilism of "believe me, everything is a lie"

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:03:39 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "No need to be quite so mean there"

I agree. I could have phrased this differently. I'm not one to be mean or hurtful.

I respectfull retract that statement, it was not needed.

David

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Variety also picks up the prosumer story
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:43:12 am

[David Battistella] "That's nice. Call every single professional on this forum and around the world who likes the software and has a positive attitude a prosumer."

David, Variety magazine ran an article yesterday that featured both myself and Philip Hodgetts. Philip clearly agrees that Apple is gunning for the large prosumer market while the professional market will gravitate towards Adobe / Avid:

"If you look at the price for Final Cut X, you could say they're turning away from professional users and more toward a prosumer audience -- and, honestly, that's where there's a lot of money," says Hodgetts. "I think it's a win-win all around because Final Cut will become more a prosumer product in its current state and Adobe and Avid will end up with more of the professional consumers."

There's no denying where this software is aimed and there's no real reason to even fault Apple any longer for going this route. They are a consumer company and the consumer market is infinitely much larger than Post Houses, Filmmakers and Broadcasters. They could sell 2,000,000 copies of a really high end Final Cut Pro or they could 10,000,000 copies of something that makes it easy for anyone to just pick up the software and cut their projects.

There's also no denying that some professional post houses / filmmakers / editors are going to use Final Cut Pro X as part of their arsenal or maybe even their only tool. It's their choice to use it.

Full Article from Variety
(Note, they kept the Cow in there. Woot!)

And another very interesting article about how this whole "high end" thing might have been an unintentional path all along, that the consumer was really the market this whole time. FCPX brings Apple full circle back.

Video/Film Pros According to Steve Jobs

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Variety also picks up the prosumer story
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:29:59 pm

[walter biscardi] "David, Variety magazine ran an article yesterday that featured both myself and Philip Hodgetts. Philip clearly agrees that Apple is gunning for the large prosumer market while the professional market will gravitate towards Adobe / Avid:"

Ok. But to be clear, my level of professionalism does not change with the tools I am using. If Apple is opening up the market to prosumers and I choose to use the software that does not make me a prosumer, it makes me a professional who chooses a specific tool. The way you are a professional choosing to gravitate to Adobe or AVID for your needs.

We will also have to see how long the current models will exist. There has been a big shift in how content is both created and distributed.

I can say all of the things everyone is saying about FCP X as I could about a 5D.

It's a toy.
It's cheap and aimed at a mass market.
It doesn't have a "professional" audio interface.
It records an inferior format.

Has the 5D destroyed professionalism. No. But professionals seem to be offended that anyone can share their tools. Why?

In fact. We should be thanking Apple for leveling the playing field with Final Cut in the first place.

Take your own shop for example.

7 edit suites
X number of Color Bays
Sound department
etc.

NOW.

Rewind about ten years and run the numbers on what that whole set-up you have right now would have cost you in 2001 dollars.

2002 price of Seven Avid rooms (with seven dongles)
2002 Price of A davinci suite
2002 Price of A protools suite.

Now we want to take Apple's heads off for bringing in something at 300 bucks that has no where to go but up? That has me scratching my head.

For me, I think it is important to support Apple because they had a big hand in democratizing this whole business. They are not abandoning, they are moving with trends in the business. They were the ones who made it very possible for people who might not have had the means to enter the business and make a great living with their tools. Those barriers are gone and that is a good thing. I don't want to rewind to a time when a few big companies held the keys to post production.

Inexpensive, open and accessable and, as always, looking forward.

I respect all that you do here Walter and the best thing about the COW is that in these times we are able to have open and lively discussions about our indusrty, the tools and the way things are heading. I am trying to take the long view on of this and I continue to appreciate your presence and all that you do for this community.

David

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:38:13 pm

[David Battistella] "Ok. But to be clear, my level of professionalism does not change with the tools I am using."

Not one bit. People pay for your talent, not for the tool you use. I've always said put a lousy editor in a $1 million edit suite and you still have a lousy editor.

[David Battistella] "Rewind about ten years and run the numbers on what that whole set-up you have right now would have cost you in 2001 dollars."

I already wrote at length about that in my blog "Thank You Apple." It's because of Apple's dominance in the market for the past 11 years that all of us are able to enjoy the ability to open our own shops at a much lower cost.

http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2011/06/thank-you-apple/

[David Battistella] "
Now we want to take Apple's heads off for bringing in something at 300 bucks that has no where to go but up? That has me scratching my head."

I've made my points clear in my writings and discussions as to why I am leaving the platform so no need to repeat myself here.

David you and I go way back and you know I very much respect you and what you do. At this juncture we depart ways on the tools we use, but that's pretty much it. You're still going to make incredible projects and I'm going to call on you from time to time for advice.

Quite honestly, if nothing else FCPX is going to create the next generation of editors that we'll all be hiring in a few years......

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:27:56 pm

Thanks Walter

If I was in your situation I would most likely be making the same decision you are making. I might wait a bit longer to see how things play out, but it is great to have all of these choices.

You are a class act. Always have been.

David

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:57:49 pm

[David Battistella] "Very clever. Your pretty loud from a keyboard but I'm sure you wouldn't run your mouths much in a room full of professionals."

I noticed you said "mouths" in replying to Aindreas.
I can't speak for Aindreas, but I can speak for myself.
Anytime, anywhere.
Debate, panel discussion, interview, whatever.
Haven't turned anyone down yet.
And I haven't changed my position, or backed down when speaking 'offline'.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 30, 2011 at 5:47:09 pm

We should have a Skype call.

That would be fun, but not in any spirit of anger, just a discussion.

David

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 30, 2011 at 10:42:26 pm

Haven't done it before. Maybe I am a Luddite!
Can you do a panel discussion on it?
Too bad were aren't closer to NAB.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:08:41 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I... will personally settle for exposed, or frankly, even drawn on fake tracks. Just straight black lines where they think tracks would go, like black marker tights on british ladies in the war. "

LOL!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]