FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Anyone know who put together the John Lewis Penguin spot?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Harlan
OT: Anyone know who put together the John Lewis Penguin spot?
on Nov 28, 2014 at 5:10:13 pm

Anyone know who put together the John Lewis Penguin spot? Its seriously good work on all fronts:

Anyone know who put together the John Lewis Penguin spot?

http://cutepuppylove.me/2014/11/07/this-is-the-best-commercial-of-the-seaso...

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: OT: Anyone know who put together the John Lewis Penguin spot?
on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:04:47 pm

It is a fabulous ad. Wonderful to have the luxury of 90 seconds - and even better when every frame is used to such excellent effect.

Adweek has this breakdown on who's responsible.

CREDITS
Client: John Lewis
Project: Monty's Christmas
Marketing Director: Craig Inglis
Creative Agency: adam&eveDDB
Executive Creative Directors: Ben Priest, Emer Stamp, Ben Tollett
Copywriter: Daniel Fisher
Art Director: Richard Brim
Planner: David Golding
Managing Director: Tammy Einav
Business Director: Sarah Coleman
Account Director: Caroline Grayson
Joint Heads of Integrated Production: Matt Craigie, Cave Ellson
Digital Producers: Joseph Walker, Olivier Guitton, Agne Acute
Media Agency: Manning Gottleib, OMD
Media Planner: James Parnum
Production Company: Blink Productions
Director: Dougal Wilson
Producer: Ewen Brown
Executive Producer: James Studholme
Production Manager: Ellie Britton
First Assistant Director: Jim Cole
Director of Photography: Joost Van Gelder
Steadicam: Paul Edwards
Art Director: Andy Kelly
Visual Effects: MPC
Visual Effects Supervisor, Computer Graphics Lead: Diarmid Harrison Murray
Visual Effects Supervisor, 2-D: Tom Harding
2-D Creative Director, Shoot Supervisor: Bill McNamara
Lead Animator: Tim Van Hussen
Visual Effects Executive Producer: Julie Evans
Visual Effects Producer: Sarah Walsh
Grade: MPC
Colorist: Jean-Clement Soret
Editor: Joe Guest, Final Cut
Soundtrack: "Real Love"
Artist: Tom Odell
Illustrator: N/A
Audio Postproduction: Factory Studios
Sound: Anthony Moore, Neil Johnson
Digital Production: Stink Digital, Supergoober

As noted, the Editor is Joe Guest - and it specifies Final Cut - but not whether it's Legacy or X.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:14:20 pm

Thank you I needed to see that today :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:52:20 pm

Oops, Looks like my Edited on Final Cut comment was a presumption.

It appears that Joe Guest, the editor - is represented by an editors group called (drumroll) Final Cut.

This does not appear to have anything to do with the tool used for the editing at all.

Sorry.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:36:19 am

I don't care WHAT he edited it on... that spot brought a tear to my eye!

Great job!

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Nov 29, 2014 at 1:04:19 am

They're in london. It was not FCP.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 2:27:54 am

Curious as to why you say that. The Honda spot was out of London. The BBC is using X extensively for news. Sports like the Tour de France coverage out of London is cut on X. So what's your source for that contention?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:15:18 am

[Bill Davis] "Curious as to why you say that"

Without intending any judgments about the relative worth of any products or their appropriateness to the task, and as unpopular as it is to say, there's simply not any debate about the most present of the NLEs to have a presence in this kind of post, in houses like this.

"We use Avid Media Composer. A few of the editors use Final Cut Pro, but our main system is Avid."

This is from an interview with one of Final Cut's 28 editors in 4 offices (London, NY, LA and Amsterdam), James Rosen, at Art of the Guillotine, and posted on Final Cut's website.

Do note that that sentence is the ENTIRETY of the conversation on the subject, so even as I highly recommend reading it, don't be disappointed if there's not much in the way of actual debate. LOL

I recommend poking around their whole site, too. Terrific, terrific work, both in the many news stories about awards they've won, and on the profile pages for each of the editors.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:42:21 pm

Yes, Tim.

But the comment I was addressing was "They're in London, so it was not FCP"

Which clearly implies that "nobody" serious in London cuts on FCP.

Which is demonstrably false.

Remember the forum title here. This thread could not possibly be more "on topic."

(as is your addition to it via the AOTG link)

; )

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 29, 2014 at 5:12:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "This thread could not possibly be more "on topic.""

I hope I didn't imply that this is off topic! It's absolutely ON topic!

On any of a dozen different topics. :-) But certainly this one.

And while I stick by my point about Media Composer being the "most" present of NLEs with a presence, I certainly agree with you that X in particular has a presence. I think over time, it will have a greater presence than FCP did.

The problem with FCP is that it didn't offer anything fundamentally different. It simply didn't move the needle enough for people in this slice of the market to change what they were doing.

*IF* one is inclined to change -- and I continue to believe that this is almost entirely a matter of psychological makeup, rather than age, objective evaluation of features, etc. -- X is the one that'll make people reassess their next move.

FCP was never ever ever gonna do that beyond a small handful of cases, MOST of which I think were driven by the "not Avid"-ness of the thing. X offers advantages that FCP never did, which is why FCP never got the traction in reality that many people here seem to think it did, and why I think X has a better shot.

Which is my characteristically long-winded way of agreeing with you that "if London, then Media Composer" doesn't fly...but the assumption that Avid is in any way done or dying in places and jobs like this doesn't fly either. Hence my language that it's the "most" present of the ones (plural) that have a presence.

And agreeing with others on thread -- there's a reason why their website contains one sentence on the subject, and only in an interview reposted from another site. It's not an issue in the context of the company's creative approaches.

But here? Very much on topic. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:41:38 pm

[Tim Wilson] "The problem with FCP is that it didn't offer anything fundamentally different. It simply didn't move the needle enough for people in this slice of the market to change what they were doing. "

Agree wholeheartedly, Tim, with nearly everything you wrote.

Except the above small point.

I still think X does offer something fundamentally different. The fundamental change Apple understood was the movement of metadata away from the peripheral of editorial and into the CORE of the entire software approach - and (and this is critical) allowing the EDITOR control of it.

This can't be overstated because it's what enables the entire web-centric video model to operate. Yes, the other A's "do" metadata as well. But not inside the software and directly at the users fingertips in the same fashion. They weren't ever built to let the user edit in BOTH the visual and metadata realms naturally and organically in one space. Only X was re-coded to do precisely that.

And combining both visual, audio AND "metadata management editing" directly inside one program IS a change in what editors have historically done that is TOTALLY worth changing for, IMO.

I was just watching Michael Cioni's (Lightiron, LA) LACPUG presentation from last month. I'll find and post a link to it on the forum later. He talks about how fundamental metadata gathering and manipulation changes production efficiency. He did this talk AFTER his shop did the post on Gone Girl via Premier as well as the post on FOCUS via X. So he's the guy in the deepest trench needing to make all this work. THIS type of metadata centric thinking was, IMO, the underlying reasons for most of the changes in the FCP X re-build. Move metadata out of the periphery - where it's traditionally lived - and bolt it directly INSIDE the editorial workflow.

FWIW.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:54:51 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Tim Wilson] "The problem with FCP is that it didn't offer anything fundamentally different. It simply didn't move the needle enough for people in this slice of the market to change what they were doing. "

Agree wholeheartedly, Tim, with nearly everything you wrote.

Except the above small point. "

I think he's talking about FCP Classic, not FCP X

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 7:03:28 pm

[Steve Connor] "Except the above small point. "

I think he's talking about FCP Classic, not FCP X"

Ah,

I try not to think about FCP Legacy anymore. Way much pain from the last time I had to open it up and help a new client with the transition to X. Legacy feels so frustrating and constrained to me now. But that's me. Others continue to love it and I get that.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 29, 2014 at 11:53:08 am

[Mark Raudonis] "I don't care WHAT he edited it on... that spot brought a tear to my eye!"

Exactly. Quite honestly, any of us could have cut this in iMovie. When I say that, I mean "technically" cut it. It's a bunch of clean cuts in a row (with a dip to black added for good measure). But, it's HOW those cuts were designed and paced that makes the magic. The NLE had nothing to do with this. It's the editor and the skill of storytelling.

A very cute spot.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:38:52 pm

Agree with Scott that the "creative editorial" had to do with pace and rhythm as well as selection of the boy's performance (facial) to create the emotional storyline of the piece. But, as you can see from the AdWeek credits, this was like a mini-VFX type feature, so most likely lots of roundtrip with different phases of VFX, such as where the penguin was going to be in each of the shots during that creative editorial. It may have even started off as a moving rectangle that gets animated, etc. All of these objects need to be managed and accounted for during "creative" editorial. Even a film like Gravity that ended up having 156 edits. But that does not include the editing and timing of all the layers and events that led up to the shots that resulted in 156 edits. Each production works with the talent and tools that best serve their needs, and again it shows that there is not one tool that does it all.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:59:24 pm

There's also the presumption that working on a spot with a production budget if £1,000,000 (in support of a media budget six times that) the editorial tool would need to be fully professional. I only posted the original comment because I thought the Final Cut reference might speak to the continuing false impression that X is not being taken seriously for high end editorial work. As noted, I got fooled by the editorial shops name. So at the end of the day, it's left as what it is. Extremely high level collaborative work done by highly qualified professionals who have been given all the resources they need to do the best work that they are capable of.

Worth celebrating for what it is.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]