FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: What Professional Black Friday toys are you buying?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
OT: What Professional Black Friday toys are you buying?
on Nov 28, 2014 at 5:06:26 pm

Most people think of Black Friday as a day for consumer shopping. There's lots of stuff for us pros too.

Coming across my emails are.
Mocha Pro 30% off
BorisFX 30% off
Color Grading Central giving alway LUT Utility for FCPX/Motion Free
NewBlueFX 30% off
DigitalJuice various great discounts (membership not required).
Airbox softboxes 15% off
CoreMelt 30% off
B&H Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and pick one of any of 7 Lumix or Olympus lenses $995 (basically lens is free up to $599 value).
Dracast LED2000 marked down to $699 from $1995

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: OT: What Professional Black Friday toys are you buying?
on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:08:25 pm

Toolfarm has a big list of plugins. Some FCPX compatible.

http://www.toolfarm.com/blog/entry/the_black_friday_cyber_monday_2014_sales...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 28, 2014 at 7:53:13 pm

Looking at purchasing an LED light kit from B&H Photo, was hoping Fusion would be available for Mac OS X at the moment, will have to wait.

Looking at the some of the LUT offerings from Color Grading Central as well.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 28, 2014 at 8:12:23 pm

[David Mathis] "Looking at purchasing an LED light kit from B&H Photo"

Anything in particular? I was thinking of iKan ID508 v2 but I'm also looking at DigitalJuice MiniBurst 504. Light weight counts for my portable kit and so far nothing seems liter than the DJ MiniBurst 504 but, alas, it's not one of today's Black Friday options. I'm hoping they'll have it on sale before end of year though. iKan is not on sale either.

Genaray and Bescor are on sale but I have issues with them.

Genaray
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1031518-REG/genaray_spectroled_outfit...

Bescor
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006923-REG/bescor_led_700k_beled_700...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 28, 2014 at 9:51:29 pm

Was looking at Bescor but will consider other options.

Just purchased Rampant Design Tools Flash Transitions and Reflections two days ago.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 29, 2014 at 5:59:49 am

I trialled the Boris Continuum 9 in Resolve. I then bought it with the Black Friday discount. There seems a sudden rush to port plugins to open FX for Resolve. I am also waiting for the 30% discount touted for Red Giant Universe to buy a perpetual license, again as they have ported to Resolve.

I also jumped in and bought Flicker free from Digital Anarchy as they had a Halloween special discount. So suddenly a lot of shortcomings in using Resolve as a finishing tool have been sorted. Flicker free was seriously helpful with a problematic stop motion animation series I was finishing.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 29, 2014 at 12:37:31 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I am also waiting for the 30% discount touted for Red Giant Universe to buy a perpetual license, again as they have ported to Resolve. "

Interesting as I just spotted this. RedGiant year end sale. It's one day only for December 9th.

http://www.redgiant.com/blog/2014/11/26/sale-our-40-off-sale-is-coming-dec-...

Folks – Don’t fall victim to Black Friday or Cyber Monday! Save your money… for just a little while longer.
On December 9, 2014, we are having our Red Giant Year-End Sale. Here’s what you need to know:
40% off everything in the redgiant.com store.
24 Hours Only!
Sale Starts: 12/9/14 – starting at 08:00 AM PST.
Sales ends: 12/10/14 at 08:00 AM PST
The sale discount is for everything in the Red Giant store: Full licenses, upgrades, and academic store (which is already 50% off)
Includes suites and individual products. 40% off EVERYTHING. Really. We mean it.
How to Get 40% off: There will be a coupon code – it will be all over our site. You won’t be able to miss it.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 4:53:45 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I trialled the Boris Continuum 9 in Resolve. I then bought it with the Black Friday discount. There seems a sudden rush to port plugins to open FX for Resolve. I am also waiting for the 30% discount touted for Red Giant Universe to buy a perpetual license, again as they have ported to Resolve."

Was very excited by the news. Just started up the monthly plan again. Hoping there is a way to upgrade to lifetime from rental.

Looking forward to that big sale, no crowds to fight and no two mile long line to wait in.

Side note: Hoping that Fusion for Mac OS X will be out before Christmas, that would be sweet!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:09:40 pm

[David Mathis] "Side note: Hoping that Fusion for Mac OS X will be out before Christmas, that would be sweet!
"

Not a chance, will be lucky if it's next Xmas

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 29, 2014 at 6:30:30 pm

My hunch, we might see a "preview" at NAB with maybe a public beta target date announced.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 29, 2014 at 8:27:02 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Nov 29, 2014 at 8:34:05 pm

That is my prediction as well. Watched a video from August of last year, Fusion could very well be a viable replacement for Photoshop and After Effects. Also, its particle system looks very promising. Will be interesting to see how tightly it becomes integrated with Resolve, could be a game changer. Until then, Final Cut and Motion are a good mix.

What could be interesting in all of this is the impact on Adobe and Avid. Wonder what shift there will be in the dynamics of the market. I sense another great debate.

My game plan is as follows based on the direction Resolve and Fusion take:

Short films, basic motion graphics and promos all done within a Final Cut Pro X, Motion environment. More complex finishing, projects and compositing done with a Resolve and Fusion workflow. Will consider processing stills in either Motion or Fusion based on complexity. Curious to hear what others think.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Nov 29, 2014 at 7:54:08 pm

Epic Dragon, L series glass, some plugins, some G studio Raids and a partridge in a pear tree!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 30, 2014 at 4:38:39 pm

I am going to add this to my list of things to buy:

1. Film effects from Rampant Design Tools
2. Osiris LUT from Color Grading Central
3. Clip chart (whatever it is called) to help balance colors in Resolve from footage from the BMCC

Now if only Fusion was available for OS X . . .

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 30, 2014 at 10:58:04 pm

I can't see Blackmagic taking long to have an OSX version of Fusion. Makes no sense if they intend to integrate it with Resolve which is cross platform.

As a Photoshop replacement I have already discovered I need to deal with the raw image before I can get a still into Fusion. So Lightroom or Photoshop or other software is needed at this stage. I bet Canon and Nikon raw will be an import option in Fusion though. Well I hope so ....Santa???...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 1, 2014 at 6:13:02 pm

Today's "one week only" offer from Vimeo is interesting.
Especially if you expect to spend $200 or more at B&H then this makes the first year of Vimeo Pro free (and you can always cancel after the first year if you're so inclined).

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 9, 2014 at 11:09:40 pm

Just to bump this topic and let people know - the Red Giant 40% of sale is on for one day right now. I just bought Universe Forever license for $240 and happy to have more great plugins in Resolve now.

I feel Resolve is now better as a finishing tool that FCP7 was for my work and the missing link were title tools and plugins so having Boris Continuum and Universe fully functional and Fusion to be integrated makes me happy to have waited. FCP7 and Premiere kept things going but Resolve takes me much further.

On another note I did have a FCPX client and the xml into Resolve was flawless. However he just couldn't get the exported fcpxml back into X. So I am yet to have a flawless round trip with X for picture and audio - sigh.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2014 at 11:19:35 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Just to bump this topic and let people know - the Red Giant 40% of sale is on for one day right now. I just bought Universe Forever license for $240"

As did I. Great tool set and the fact that one "membership" allows for the use in many programs means it'll endure a transition in tool sets as needed.

Heck the "lifetime membership is "almost" like buying FCPX was. No upgrade fees (although Apple, unlike RedGiant) reserves the right to issue a new paid version).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]