FORUMS: list search recent posts

So, what did you say to the new Apple FCPX survey?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
So, what did you say to the new Apple FCPX survey?
on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:37:39 pm

Just got mine a few minutes ago. Good for another debate, eh?

;-)

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: So, what did you say to the new Apple FCPX survey?
on Nov 22, 2014 at 12:08:31 am

I said that I would love to be able to turn timeline magnetism off, as with Avid and sync locks. And that I found it very annoying that Command Z does not always undo the last action but seems to pick and choose what it will undo and what it will not.

Tim

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 22, 2014 at 4:17:35 am

The feature I requested was a Master Audio Bus so that you could add a Brick Wall Limiter or a Compressor to the overall audio mix and make sure that the audio was broadcast safe. You need the same thing for video (a Maser Video Bus) to add plug-ins that affect the overall look or keep video broadcast safe as well. This is one of the things I miss in FCP X that Sony Vegas Pro has. Mixing audio is the weak spot for me in FCP X.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 22, 2014 at 10:45:36 am

I asked for a Send To Motion and added a request for customizable and re-usable workspace layouts

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 23, 2014 at 3:37:51 am

Same here and keyframing for color correction.

Also, asked for tracks to be brought back! ;-)

When life gives me lemons, there are two ways I look at it: As lemonade or a gas guzzling clunker that could fall apart on me at any moment. I prefer lemonade.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Nov 23, 2014 at 11:05:18 am

[David Mathis] "Same here and keyframing for color correction. "
Darn, I forgot to ask for S-Curves. How on earth can you color correct without S-Curves?!?!

Someone who hasn't taken the survey yet please ask for S-Curves to adjust luminance/gamma. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 23, 2014 at 12:32:46 pm

Yes, CC keyframes!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Nov 23, 2014 at 4:03:26 pm

Performance, performance, performance!! I think I could honestly live without a single feature upgrade if I could be promised a world in which every time I clicked a clip in the browser, highlighted a clip in the timeline, did anything there was the .5 second delay (or longer as the memory leaks wear on in a day). It's crazy going back to an old fcp7 or avid project and having the interface mostly always instantly respond. Sounds whiney, but it adds up on the sanity depleter!

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 23, 2014 at 5:25:28 pm

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "Performance, performance, performance!! I think I could honestly live without a single feature upgrade if I could be promised a world in which every time I clicked a clip in the browser, highlighted a clip in the timeline, did anything there was the .5 second delay (or longer as the memory leaks wear on in a day). It's crazy going back to an old fcp7 or avid project and having the interface mostly always instantly respond. Sounds whiney, but it adds up on the sanity depleter!"

What system are you using?

Return to posts index

Nicholas Kleczewski
on Nov 23, 2014 at 5:35:26 pm

MPt with 280X, MacBook pro retina, 8 core nMP D700. All the same. It's a UI issue. FCPX is trying to do too much all the time. I've suggested to them they create some sort of performance slider. How much caching of thumbnails, waveforms etc, vs instant UI response. There's times when either are valuable. It got a lot better since 10.1 for sure, I like to think I had some small part in that, Them asking to be involved on a massive 4TB documentary I was editing and getting beach balls of death across the board. But it's still a thing in genetically UI, that barely perceptible delay in actions.

I have found working off a raid getting at least 600 MBs does help significantly. My guess is it's that Quick small file access exchange happening with FCPXs database on every move. But it's still there over time even on an internal nMP project pulling 900+ MBs

Director, Editor, Colorist
http://www.trsociety.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 23, 2014 at 6:11:22 pm

[Nicholas Kleczewski] "MPt with 280X, MacBook pro retina, 8 core nMP D700. All the same. It's a UI issue. FCPX is trying to do too much all the time. I've suggested to them they create some sort of performance slider. "

I find that closing the inspector helps a lot. I think these small delays are due in part, to FCPX finding the associated landing clip, and then displaying all of it's info in the inspector. I have remapped the inspector key to be a toggle (f16).

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 23, 2014 at 6:30:52 pm

[Nicholas Kleczewski] " 8 core nMP D700. All the same. It's a UI issue. FCPX is trying to do too much all the time. I've suggested to them they create some sort of performance slider. How much caching of thumbnails, waveforms etc, vs instant UI response. There's times when either are valuable. It got a lot better since 10.1 for sure, I like to think I had some small part in that, Them asking to be involved on a massive 4TB documentary I was editing and getting beach balls of death across the board. But it's still a thing in genetically UI, that barely perceptible delay in actions.

I have found working off a raid getting at least 600 MBs does help significantly. My guess is it's that Quick small file access exchange happening with FCPXs database on every move. But it's still there over time even on an internal nMP project pulling 900+ MBs"

That's depressing, I was hoping that a new MP would make things a lot better. My experience with a 5K iMac was much better than my 2008 MacPro but the interface was still a bit laggy. I don't see the same lag in PPro CC even on my 2008 MP. I really hope that the next Yosemite based release will make a substantial difference. The new version of iMovie gives me hope as it's interface IS quicker than the previous version.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Nov 28, 2014 at 6:51:08 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I said that I would love to be able to turn timeline magnetism off, as with Avid and sync locks."

Just curious, doesn't position mode do the trick?

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 25, 2014 at 1:59:18 pm

How does one receive this survey?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 25, 2014 at 2:10:55 pm

Not sure, as it was sent to me via e-mail.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Nov 25, 2014 at 8:53:42 pm

[Eric Santiago] "How does one receive this survey?"

I didn't get it either.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:09:12 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Dec 1, 2014 at 5:09:31 am

[Scott Witthaus] "So, what did you say to the new Apple FCPX survey?"

More, please.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]