FORUMS: list search recent posts

Meta: forum pagination.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Meta: forum pagination.
on Nov 13, 2014 at 4:16:20 pm

I try to check old posts I've made to see if there are responses or follow up points to address. But for a while now I've run into really odd pagination issues. Sometimes, the display is collapsed down to as few as a dozen entries. (the current page 5 history i see here in X or not, for example)

In the Creative Cloud The Debate forum by comparison, I get hundreds and hundreds of thread entries on each page

Is this just something in my cache?

On my slowest chairside ipad, it's a minor hassle to have to page back over and over to check the activity on threads.

It's not a huge deal, just curious.

Is this just me?

BTW, I was going to email this just to Tim, but couldn't quickly find a direct link on the masthead page. Admin feel free to move if this is too off topic. Thanks.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Meta: forum pagination.
on Nov 13, 2014 at 5:09:56 pm

I think you need to mess with the "view" settings under the forum title?

Perhaps you want to view as thread instead of topic, and extend the viewing time out from 4 days to longer?

You can also sort by "unanswered".

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:23:54 am

Thanks Jeremy.

I had a feeling it might be user error. It was just weird that it only seems to happen here. Must be the traffic pattern here verses the default settings I never bothered to mess with. I'll look deeper when I get time. Thanks for the tips!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2014 at 2:57:46 am

[Bill Davis] "Must be the traffic pattern here verses the default settings I never bothered to mess with.

I do think this forum defaults to a lower number listing of posts due to all the traffic it had back in the hey days of this debate.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:16:34 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I do think this forum defaults to a lower number listing of posts due to all the traffic it had back in the hey days of this debate"

I strongly disagree. Debate!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:26:04 am

:)

What I meant was, this forum defaults to a 4 day view. Some forums defaults to more available days (like 30).

Lower default means higher traffic, generally.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:29:37 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "
What I meant was, this forum defaults to a 4 day view."

Yah. I get it every couple of months where the forum seems to forget my settings. I tend to use "1 WeeK" and "Topic", but it forgets sometimes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 14, 2014 at 3:31:19 am

I'm a topic person as well.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 14, 2014 at 6:55:59 am

Sorry for the delay replying guys. I saw "meta" in the subject line, and assumed it was some new-fangled FCPX depravity. I normally loves me some depravity, but I didn't smell actual blood, so I decided to re-read the Old Dogs thread instead...because, given the choice, I'm always going to choose blood AND depravity.

Others here have surmised the thing, which is that we have a default temporal frame for viewing that's set on a per-forum basis. Thanks for pointing out that the windows for the two Debate forums needed revisiting.

Two additional notes:

-- While I've taken a best-guess stab at what might work for most people in our default, you can set your own per-forum preferences, using the "VIEW" pop-up just above the post index. These kinds of choices are persistent whenever you're logged in.

-- For this forum in particular, I HIGHLY recommend setting the View Posts by Thread pop-up to "View posts by Newest."

A thread like our old friend Old Dogs will drop off the front page at some point, but it's obviously still got a few tricks left in it. Especially when somebody responds to a post somewhere in the middle of a thread like that, it's incredibly easy to miss it. Sorting by new posts makes it much easier to keep up.

Just a suggestion, but those pop-up options came into being after we got member requests for them. They default to the configurations that reflect our heritage site organization, but the options are considerably more flexible than that.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 16, 2014 at 12:53:19 am

[Tim Wilson] "-- For this forum in particular, I HIGHLY recommend setting the View Posts by Thread pop-up to "View posts by Newest.""

Tim,

Is there any way to add an option for:
"View Posts by Topics (most recently updated at the top)"

So, it's basically a cross between the view you mentioned and the topic view and then whichever topics has been most recently updated are at the top with the most recent update number 1. This is the way most forums these days seem to be set up.

I like the fact that you give the users a choice as of how to view, but I think it's missing this one choice. I typically view this forum and other Cow forums by topic and spanning a week, but I do miss out any new posts from longer than a week. If this new view is doable, then even a topic from a month back would pop to the top with a new post in it.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 21, 2014 at 3:12:52 am

So Dave, I passed your comment along to our IT Director, who took a stab at it. I think it looks great, but I'd love to hear what you think.

His name for it is "View posts by Topic (Date Updated)," which is the third one down.

How'd we do?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 21, 2014 at 6:34:45 am

This looks really nice to my eye. I'm changing to it and will give it a trial run. Thanks IT!

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Nov 21, 2014 at 6:42:00 am

Sorry, that should be "Abraham." :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 21, 2014 at 6:54:39 am

I like the new option, Tim. I've always wondered though why the COW doesn't force chronological order in all of the threads. I think this is the only forum I go to where a new post can appear in the middle of a thread as opposed to always appearing at the end.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 21, 2014 at 5:16:43 pm

Great. Then specifically, thanks Abraham. Your work is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 22, 2014 at 6:28:44 am

[Tim Wilson] "So Dave, I passed your comment along to our IT Director, who took a stab at it. I think it looks great, but I'd love to hear what you think.

His name for it is "View posts by Topic (Date Updated)," which is the third one down.

How'd we do?"

Tim,

That's great! I hadn't been here for 2 days. This thread got buried on page two of topics. I typically don't go to page two, but I was looking specifically for this topic. When I read the thread, I came back and chose the newly created view, this post came up on the first page so it's doing what it should. It's very cool that you can do the programming changes in-house.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2014 at 10:45:49 pm

This update, the sort by "Date updated" is really very useful. It brings up old threads that people must have searched, found, and then responded to. This is great as it keeps the conversations going, and allows the updating of information to those older posts for future searches. Nice work.

I do see one problem. New posts don't seem to appear at the top, and it is only when when someone responds does the post jump to the top.

Happy Holidays!

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]