FORUMS: list search recent posts

It's Alive!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
It's Alive!!
on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:09:26 am

Clip Exporter that is. There was some lament that it had been abandoned a while ago. It's no longer free, but if you need this workflow to, uh, work, it's worth a look... Discuss. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: It's Alive!!
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:58:28 pm

It looks pretty cool. I just wish it could write new XMLs pointing to the new footage so that more information could be translated.

I guess, with X's better linking system, you could go through the trim steps, and then relink the sequence to new (truncated) material and send an XML from there. I wonder if that would work?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:04:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It looks pretty cool. I just wish it could write new XMLs pointing to the new footage so that more information could be translated.

I guess, with X's better linking system, you could go through the trim steps, and then relink the sequence to new (truncated) material and send an XML from there. I wonder if that would work?
"

Try it! ;-) Honestly, it seems like the developer is open to ideas, I'd email him. It seems like it's about one step away from being able to do a true "consolidation" of an X project, at least the video and source audio. If it could write a new project XML for the trimmed clips it'd be awesome. You can already kind of consolidate audio with X2Pro-> logic->fcpxml->FCP X. But audio isn't really a big deal as it takes up way less space... picture though...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:13:00 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Try it! ;-)"

Ah, there's a demo. Good!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:37:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "you could go through the trim steps, and then relink the sequence"

I pretty sure that X won't relink to a source that is shorter than the original clip i.e. has any major difference compared to the original clip it is referencing, no. Unfortunately, unlike 7, it just plain won't relink, period, instead of just complaining along the lines of "I'll do it, but proceed at your own risk!". Definitely something that needs to be changed.

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:46:41 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I pretty sure that X won't relink to a source that is shorter than the original clip i.e. has any major difference compared to the original clip it is referencing, no. Unfortunately, unlike 7, it just plain won't relink, period, instead of just complaining along the lines of "I'll do it, but proceed at your own risk!". Definitely something that needs to be changed."

Honestly, I think you're wrong here. As long as the TC spans the clip, you can relink.

From the manual, bold emphasis mine:

"In Final Cut Pro, clips represent your media, but they are not the media files themselves. Final Cut Pro keeps track of the links between clips and media files automatically. However, there are times when you need to manually relink clips to media files.

One common scenario that requires relinking is when files are altered or re-created outside of your copy of Final Cut Pro. For example, if you send files out for color correction, you may need to relink the clips in your event to the color-corrected versions of the files when you receive them.

Another case requiring manual relinking is missing media files. For example, if you move or rename externally linked files in the Finder, or you move an event or a project to a different location, you need to relink the event or project clips (which appear as red frames with yellow alert triangles) to the files.

In either case, manually relinking connects the clips in Final Cut Pro to the correct files on your hard disk. Metadata in the relinked clips remains unchanged.

The new (relinked) files can have a different resolution and codec than the original files, but they must be the same media type. (In other words, you can’t relink a video clip to an audio file.) Relinked files must also have the same frame rate and similar audio channels as the original files.

The new (relinked) files can also be trimmed versions of the original files, but they must be long enough to cover all the clips that refer to the files.

When you relink clips to media files on your hard disk, all instances of the clips in the current library (including those in other projects or events) are updated to link to the new media files. In other words, if you used a clip in multiple projects or events, each of those projects and events is relinked to the new media file.

Note: You cannot undo the Relink Files command."

I can't get the demo of ClipExporter to work or else I'd try it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 11, 2014 at 7:55:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Honestly, I think you're wrong here."

Like I said, "I'm pretty sure", not that I'm certain.

[Jeremy Garchow] "As long as the TC spans the clip, you can relink.[…] must be long enough to cover all the clips that refer to the files"

I have no idea how I can have e.g. a TC reading 10 mins. if it's in fact just 2 mins. long. Give it a try once you get it working and let us know. :)

I just know that I'm currently having the classic issue of not even being able to relink the actual original files of a project because they supposedly are somehow different... what the exact difference is is apparently a secret only FCP knows. :/

- RK

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 11, 2014 at 8:19:00 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I have no idea how I can have e.g. a TC reading 10 mins. if it's in fact just 2 mins. long. Give it a try once you get it working and let us know. :) "

I can't get the exporter to work. I guess I will try a little later.

Still, it'd be nice to be able to have an XML at the end of it to be able to easily reimport to X and have things in tact, like positions/effects/stuff.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Nov 12, 2014 at 3:06:37 am

I use ClipExporter constantly for exporting QT refs for use in SoundBite. ClipExporter 2.0 has deprecated QT ref support due to the switch to AV Foundation so I will be staying with the older version for now.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 12, 2014 at 6:52:29 pm

If it can act like the old Media Manager (but actually work) this would be very useful for moving big doco projects from X to Resolve etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]