FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why new final cut X is so RESTRICTIVE with connected clips? I DO NOT SEE ANY BENEFIT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jb yong
Why new final cut X is so RESTRICTIVE with connected clips? I DO NOT SEE ANY BENEFIT
on Nov 10, 2014 at 7:34:06 pm

I am coming from final cut 7 and I have no idea why new final cut X is so restrictive in having primary storyline and connected clips. I loved how in FC7 all clips were independent in timeline and gave you freedom to move and organize your clips however you wanted.
Now I have to take extra steps or jump through hoops to move clips around becaused they are connected to primary storyline. Like I have to create secondary storylines. Really??
I do not see any benefit to connected clips except that it automatically follows primary storyline when you move clip around - which most of time I do not want it to do. We should be able to turn this off because I do not see any benefit to connected clips with primary storyline.

FCX is dictating how we organize clips on timeline which is way more restrictive than FC7. This is just wrong.
Also bring back enable tracks. Why in the world did they remove tracks. Tracks work and is easier to visualize and organize clips in timeline. Like if I wanted to disable audio or video for a track it was just one click in FC7. Now there are extra steps in FCX They should enable this for people who are use to tracks.

They should really talk scold to whoever mad scientist who wanted to make FCX more restrictive than FC7 and impose their workflow on everyone else.

I like magnetic timeline where you can move clips around and other clips will automatically move to make room for it. This save time.
So can we disable connected clips and let us enable tracks just like better easier to use FC7.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Why new final cut X is so RESTRICTIVE with connected clips? I DO NOT SEE ANY BENEFIT
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:34:38 pm

There's actually an override connections command you can use if you wanted to move primary clips withouth the connected ones.

FCPX is simply a different software than FCP7. Trying to use it like a traditional NLE will not get you very far.
Most that have actually masterd the magnetic timeline find it to be faster and more flexible than working with fixed tracks, especially since you don't need to keep your tracks organized during editing, in order have a good overview of the sound. Exporting audio with roles is faster.

Now, there still are several things that need improving, and certain workflows work better with other NLEs. But that has always been the case with editing software.

You should check out tutorials by lynda.com, Ripple Training or Larry Jordan to get you started.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Why new final cut X is so RESTRICTIVE with connected clips? I DO NOT SEE ANY BENEFIT
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:40:22 pm

This rant sounds like every track-based editor on Day 2 of trying to learn FCPX on their own.

Andy

PS: Hold down the tilde/grave key (~) when swapping clips in the primary storyline to freeze connected clips in place.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:44:29 pm
Last Edited By Paul Figgiani on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:46:15 pm

This video explains it.

-paul.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:46:39 pm

[Andy Neil] "This rant sounds like every track-based editor on Day 2 of trying to learn FCPX on their own."

I was butting heads with the new timeline at first, mainly because I did not understand it. Some time, practice and patience has paid off. Really do not miss tracks at all now, though my personal preference is to work with audio in traditional tracks. Video, not so much. Feels a bit awkward using tracks now. In all honesty, X makes editing fun again. At least from my perspective.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:02:04 pm

[David Mathis] "my personal preference is to work with audio in traditional tracks"

If you think about it, getting rid of tracks in a DAW would also make zero sense in comparison. Audio follows a completely different paradigm where something such as the primary story line would make for no advantage whatsoever, since there is no such thing. As opposed to video.

- RK

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:28:01 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "If you think about it, getting rid of tracks in a DAW would also make zero sense in comparison. Audio follows a completely different paradigm where something such as the primary story line would make for no advantage whatsoever, since there is no such thing. As opposed to video."

Nonsense. Audio and video are both time-based media and can both be treated similarly in terms of multi-channel representation in a 2D GUI. For example, consider multi-channel video installations, where there may be any number of simultaneous video streams presented at once. There is no "primary/secondary" relationship is such work. There are many other examples as well.

The Primary/Secondary paradigm in FCPX is a simplification that echoes A/B editing and it brings benefits to many workflows. But many of us treat video like audio on the timeline, which is why many of us like tracks.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Nov 12, 2014 at 9:42:07 pm

[David Lawrence] "... tracks."

Once the audio is located in its particular place in time (whether by putting dialogue on A1 and A2 or by using Roles), the timeline interface has served its purpose and we move on to mixing audio. I realize some picture editors mix audio in the timeline. I would urge folks to stop doing that.

Premiere has a wonderful mixer full of sends, FX, busses and that's really where Audio will sound its best -- being mixed in the mixer. Here is my shoutout to Premiere's Dynamic's effect (audio): WooHoo! It is very powerful. Moving on...Audition is simply magic. I cannot over state that: Magic--I am really referring to the Spectral Frequency Display (SFD). Again: WooHoo Magic!

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 12, 2014 at 10:53:51 pm

[Richard Herd] "Premiere has a wonderful mixer full of sends, FX, busses and that's really where Audio will sound its best -- being mixed in the mixer. Here is my shoutout to Premiere's Dynamic's effect (audio): WooHoo! It is very powerful. Moving on...Audition is simply magic. I cannot over state that: Magic--I am really referring to the Spectral Frequency Display (SFD). Again: WooHoo Magic!"

Yes! Especially Audition's Spectral Frequency Display... I mean painting out noise with a brush??? Crazy Magic!

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:49:28 pm

Agreed. Slow down, do the training and learn "create storylines"....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:55:56 pm

[jb yong] "I like magnetic timeline where you can move clips around and other clips will automatically move to make room for it. This save time.
So can we disable connected clips and let us enable tracks just like better easier to use FC7.
"

But here's the thing, you CANNOT have a magnetic timeline with FCP7 style tracks. If you did, the point of tracks would be completely undermined, with clips bouncing from track to track.

A track is a kind of analogue metadata, in the same way as a bin was in FCP7. While I admit the solution isn't complete, in the end I believe Roles will perform the same function in the timeline that keywords and Smart Collections do in an Event.

But Roles tagging needs improvement- here's some recent thoughts from my blog,

http://disproportionatepictures.blogspot.ca/2014/10/roles-redux-part1.html

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:08:04 am

How timely... Some hack just had an article on this topic posted on the cow. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:09:58 am

[Charlie Austin] "Some hack just had an article on this topic posted on the cow."

Standard Click-bait.

10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE THE MAGNETIC TIMELINE. NUMBER 7 WILL SHOCK YOU!!!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:12:34 am

[Andy Neil] "Standard Click-bait.

10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE THE MAGNETIC TIMELINE. NUMBER 7 WILL SHOCK YOU!!!
"

Crap! Why didn't I think of that?!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 11, 2014 at 3:17:34 pm

[Andy Neil] "10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD LOVE THE MAGNETIC TIMELINE. NUMBER 7 WILL SHOCK YOU!!!"

7. The FCPX timeline may be frustrating, at times even painful, but no more painful that jamming a fork into an AC outlet (try it now).

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 3:43:43 pm

[Gary Huff] "7. The FCPX timeline may be frustrating, at times even painful, but no more painful that jamming a fork into an AC outlet (try it now)"

AC!? phi it's only 110 volts, not painful at all! :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:17:16 pm

You want pain? Try going back to edit on Premier. I gotta do that soon for a client and I am dreading it!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:25:30 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "You want pain? Try going back to edit on Premier. I gotta do that soon for a client and I am dreading it!"

CS6 I understand. In two mini-docs (7-8 minutes) right now in Premiere CC 2014, and it's quite a wonderful experience.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 11, 2014 at 9:54:41 pm

[Gary Huff] "CS6 I understand. In two mini-docs (7-8 minutes) right now in Premiere CC 2014, and it's quite a wonderful experience."

I'll second that!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:26:13 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "You want pain? Try going back to edit on Premier. I gotta do that soon for a client and I am dreading it!"

It's not bad. When I'm in Pr I keep X open with the same media. Finding stuff in X and then quickly locating it in Pr is much faster than trying to find stuff in Pr alone.. ;-)

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:17:35 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Finding stuff in X and then quickly locating it in Pr is much faster than trying to find stuff in Pr alone.. ;-)"

Agreed. FCPX is the best logging tool ever. It's a great accessory for cutting in Premiere ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:28:01 pm

[David Lawrence] "[Charlie Austin] "Finding stuff in X and then quickly locating it in Pr is much faster than trying to find stuff in Pr alone.. ;-)"

Agreed. FCPX is the best logging tool ever. It's a great accessory for cutting in Premiere ;)
"

It's not just the logging, but the ability to "visually" audition stuff. And, although we clearly disagree here, X is better to cut in too. ;-p But, if you're forced to use Pr, you definitely need a copy of FCP X running in tandem to speed everything up. For what it does, it's a pretty good deal for a Pr plugin. :-)

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Nov 11, 2014 at 6:38:00 pm

[Charlie Austin] "For what it does, it's a pretty good deal for a Pr plugin. :-)"

Yep! Along with Xto7 it's a great way to organize! :D

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]