Eyeon Fusion now Black Magic Fusion 7.5 is out, light version free, No OSX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Helge Tjelta
Eyeon Fusion now Black Magic Fusion 7.5 is out, light version free, No OSX
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:52:11 am
Last Edited By Helge Tjelta on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:18:11 pm

For bigger setup the pricetag is $995

Still, windows only... we'll just have to wait...

Helge

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: Eyeon Fusion now Black Magic Fusion 7.5 is out, FREE !!!!
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:10:49 am

[Helge Tjelta] "Still, windows only... we'll just have to wait..."

Darn. Take those exclamation points of the post title then. ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:48:09 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:39:42 pm

Said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO: “Now, with the free version of Fusion, everyone from individual artists to the biggest studios can create Hollywood caliber visual effects and motion graphics!"

That's so true. All you need is access to free software and you're instantly a Hollywood standard visual effects artist.

You've got to love democratisation.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:04:56 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Said Grant Petty, Blackmagic Design CEO: “Now, with the free version of Fusion, everyone from individual artists to the biggest studios can create Hollywood caliber visual effects and motion graphics!" That's so true. All you need is access to free software and you're instantly a Hollywood standard visual effects artist. You've got to love democratisation."

An awful lot of people are about to realize just how convenient layer-based compositing/design is.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:08:02 pm

[Walter Soyka] "An awful lot of people are about to realize just how convenient layer-based compositing/design is."

Haha - yes, indeed.

But how easy they will find it is perhaps another question.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: Eyeon Fusion now Black Magic Fusion 7.5 is out, light version free, No OSX
on Nov 10, 2014 at 12:32:46 pm

When I started working with Fusion it looked something like this (albeit in colour):

I say, bring back those crazy tiles!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 10, 2014 at 3:53:43 pm

Great timing. Today I nearly managed to use Resolve as a total finishing tool for a simple short film but came up short on a simple focus effect on a shot. I am hoping that there will be some sort of dynamic link style integration between Fusion and Resolve in the future so I am downloading and diving in. I have a 4k green screen job in a few months with integrated animation so time to learn some skills.

Windows - no problem. Will I be a Hollywood grade VFX artist by the weeks end? Hardly expect the tools to make up for experience and skill but thank you Blackmagic for making it easier to expand my toolset and skills.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:13:03 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:25:26 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Will I be a Hollywood grade VFX artist by the weeks end? Hardly expect the tools to make up for experience and skill but thank you Blackmagic for making it easier to expand my toolset and skills."

If Mr Petty were to buy ProTools and release it for free next week, you might be just a little hacked off if he suggested that ownership of the application was all you needed to become a top flight audio engineer.

I know that's not exactly what he's saying here about Fusion but he sure as hell is letting the implication dangle ...

To elaborate on that point a bit:

There's owning the software.

There's knowing how to operate the software.

There's knowing how to get results with the software.

And there's knowing how to get great results with the software.

The distance from the first step to the last is very considerable in some disciplines - audio is one and VFX is another. Editing considerably less so, I'd say, but nonetheless the journey from step one to step four is still not a hop, skip and a jump.

Does the cheapness of today's software perhaps disguise some of this?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 10, 2014 at 4:44:58 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "The distance from the first step to the last is very considerable in some disciplines - audio is one and VFX is another. Editing considerably less so, I'd say, but nonetheless the journey from step one to step four is still not a hop, skip and a jump.

Does the cheapness of today's software perhaps disguise some of this?"

Well said! There is much more that goes into post-production than we sometimes realize. I often wonder how people react when they see how much Motion offers, how much power and potential it has for a very low price of admission.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:06:30 pm

I totally understand your point. My whole career has been based on getting results from tools like Fairlight FCP Suite and now Resolve. Frankly I dont really care if powerful tools are cheap enough that there is a greater access and democratisation because that doesnt impact on any advantage I may have from 30 years of experience on previous more expensive tools.

But because of the shrinking margins and higher rate of tech turnover, software tools need to be getting cheaper as hardware has over that time. My dabblings with software like Fusion will be entirely limited to my comfort level and skills. I see it as the logical integrated tool with Resolve to make it a finishing tool. My main game is sound post and grade/ finishing for docos so most of Fusion will be of little application but titling, a bit of roto here and there and some keying will be useful. Sure I could continue with Ae or Motion but frankly I am looking for integration to keep things neat. The logic of staying node based now that I am getting used to that with Resolve is also compelling.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:18:18 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 10, 2014 at 6:34:58 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Frankly I dont really care if powerful tools are cheap enough that there is a greater access and democratisation because that doesnt impact on any advantage I may have from 30 years of experience on previous more expensive tools."

I think that was really my point, not so well expressed. You can't buy your 30 years experience off the shelf, but there does seem to be a growing perception (or maybe it's just the internet?) that owning the right tools is pretty much all you need to worry about. And there's been quite a bit of that kind of stuff right here on this forum recently, or indeed since its inception ...

(I bet you could have created a great mix on Soundtrack Pro - you don't need Fairlight ...)

Fusion is an outstanding tool and has been for a very long time and I'm delighted on the one hand that it's finally getting its day in the sun.

However, it would be a crying shame if this ruthless offering damaged the viability of The Foundry - that would be in nobody's interests, but there's a distinct chance that it might.

And more importantly, it seems to me that yet again new entrants to the field of VFX are going to get caught up in the need to be using Fusion, rather than actually learning the craft from the ground up - just as we saw with Resolve. The more complex the tool you throw yourself into, the more you're going to be wrestling with the complexities of the tool (which are not inconsiderable in this case), rather than getting to grips with the techniques which will enable you to create great work.

Obvious, I know, but I think it's a point worth making ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 10, 2014 at 7:38:24 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Fusion is an outstanding tool and has been for a very long time and I'm delighted on the one hand that it's finally getting its day in the sun.

However, it would be a crying shame if this ruthless offering damaged the viability of The Foundry - that would be in nobody's interests, but there's a distinct chance that it might."

What could be even more disruptive would be if there is some type of integration between Fusion and Resolve just as what Motion has to offer for Final Cut Pro X users -- namely transitions, even effects. Of course these could be a bit more complex due the the node structure and some high-end capabilities.

I agree with you all the way on what impact this might have on The Foundry and its offerings. Too early to tell and since Fusion is Windows only at the moment, not going to draw any conclusions at this point.

This could also disrupt Autodesk Smoke should Fusion get integrated into Resolve, but that is not likely anytime soon. For now, just a game of watch and wait. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 5:29:06 pm

[David Mathis] "I often wonder how people react when they see how much Motion offers, how much power and potential it has for a very low price of admission."

Interestingly, I happen to know that they are quite excited when they see what can be done even with something as apparently simple as Motion.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:54:31 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:57:47 pm

I'm sensing some misguided bitterness here. :D

I'm just curious to see if (and how) Black Magic of all people are even able to decently cater to and support an app like that. I don't think it will work out for the BETTER for Fusion, but we'll see...!

It certainly shows what direction they're going and what their underlying intentions (most likely) are. Seemingly the new ALL FREE high-end NLE suite maker? Not sure how that could pan out in the long run. Hmmmm...

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:55:59 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I'm sensing some misguided bitterness here. :D

I'm just curious to see if (and how) Black Magic of all people are even able to decently cater to and support an app like that. I don't think it will work out for the BETTER for Fusion, but we'll see...!

It certainly shows what direction they're going and what their underlying intentions (most likely) are. Seemingly the new ALL FREE high-end NLE maker. Not sure how that could pan out in the long run. Hmmmm..."

What on earth are you talking about? I can't make any sense out of that whatsoever.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 10, 2014 at 8:57:17 pm

Then ignore it?

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:01:26 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Then ignore it?"

Sounds like a good plan.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:21:26 pm

No plans to jump the FCP X and Motion boat just yet. For the time being both are viable tools, just wish Motion would get more attention, it can be developed further.

Watching the history of Resolve, many improvements but not a viable NLE replacement at this point. That can change, however, and it is certainly heading in the right direction.

With respects to Fusion, why there is no support plan, as in the past, is a bit curious. Fusion is a deep and complex piece of software. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for an annual support plan. Still watching and waiting to see what develops. I think for now that Fusion will remain as a separate application as it should. Would love to hear from others.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:05:59 pm

[David Mathis] "With respects to Fusion, why there is no support plan, as in the past, is a bit curious. Fusion is a deep and complex piece of software. I am willing to pay a reasonable fee for an annual support plan."

I'm starting to think that's just BMDs DNA (release first, fix second, support third). Then again support is expensive, so maybe they need to get those Fusion Studio seats way up before they can offer a real support plan?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:03:01 pm

So, just out of curiosity. Is anyone here (besides Michael, Simon and Walter) considering giving Fusion a try? If so, what are you expecting to use it for; compositing, motion graphics, VFX, a blend of all three? What other software are you hoping to replace or extend with Fusion?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:16:36 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:17:04 pm

[Shawn Miller] "what are you expecting to use it for"

I've used it for years exclusively for VFX since it's a compositor at its core, no doubt. Can't see using it for motion graphics, since that's certainly not one of it's strengths in comparison to others imho. If tight integration with Resolve is introduced (which I think is a given) I can see myself using it in that context i.e. for possible touch-ups of visuals etc. But I personally don't see it as a replacement for Motion in the context of FCP. I'd say it all depends on what they end up doing with it in terms of I/O possibilities. Who knows what (new) avenues may open up. But first they have to make it available for OS X in general for any of that to come into consideration. :)

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:32:24 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I've used it for years exclusively for VFX since it's a compositor at its core, no doubt. Can't see using it for motion graphics, since that's certainly not one of it's strengths in comparison to others imho. If tight integration with Resolve is introduced (which I think is a given) I can see myself using it in that context i.e. for possible touch-ups of visuals etc."

You can't have used it very extensively if the only use you can think of for it is touch-up.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:59:19 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] " But I personally don't see it as a replacement for Motion in the context of FCP. I'd say it all depends on what they end up doing with it in terms of I/O possibilities. Who knows what (new) avenues may open up. But first they have to make it available for OS X in general for any of that to come into consideration. :)"

Understandable. So you're doing mostly motion graphics and editing these days, I take it. Are you doing any 3D "stuff" that might make Fusion more helpful? Also, does Fusion not run in Bootcamp? I'm completely ignorant of OSX, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 11, 2014 at 1:47:14 am

[Robin S. Kurz] " Can't see using it for motion graphics, since that's certainly not one of it's strengths in comparison to others imho."

Here's a bunch of motion graphics work that the Fusion community put together, counting down the days to the Fusion 7 preview webinar last year. These are all part-time, labor-of-love projects, most representing just a couple hours of work:

Dunn Lewis in particular has done some nice mograph work with Fusion, much of which would be very challenging to replicate in Ae or Motion, even with third-party plugins:

While I'd agree that nodal tools can be quite cumbersome for longer animations, Fusion does have some real strengths for shot-based mograph work: a well-integrated 3D workspace, a respectable set of creative tools including geometry and replication tools, and fast GPU-driven interactivity for rapid iteration.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 11, 2014 at 4:07:47 am

[Walter Soyka] "While I'd agree that nodal tools can be quite cumbersome for longer animations, Fusion does have some real strengths for shot-based mograph work: a well-integrated 3D workspace, a respectable set of creative tools including geometry and replication tools, and fast GPU-driven interactivity for rapid iteration."

These are all great things to have in a motion graphics tool, Walter. I've been using Cinema 4D more and more for those very reasons (admittedly, mostly for the replicators). Along that line, I'm really excited to see how the combination of AE, Fusion and Cinema 4D will open new design and animation possibilities for me. I think Fusion could really help to round out the toolsets of a lot of motion graphics artists.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 11, 2014 at 3:53:49 pm

Like I said, in comparison. I'm not saying it can't do great stuff in general. I meant more along the lines of "everyday stuff". As you say, for smaller things like that it's, FOR ME, just way too cumbersome and having to render out each time in a big minus for my usual workflow also. As a standalone it's superb, no doubt.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 10, 2014 at 9:27:51 pm

I notice that the free version doesn't seem to include optical flow retiming which seems like quite a big omission - not a deal-breaker, but you'd really want to have it if you were getting serious with the application.

Oh well, what's another $995?! It's still amazingly good value at that price.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Nov 10, 2014 at 10:19:57 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I notice that the free version doesn't seem to include optical flow retiming which seems like quite a big omission - not a deal-breaker, but you'd really want to have it if you were getting serious with the application."

Yeah, I was a little bummed about that. But maybe that's the strategy; hold back that one big feature that independent artists might REALLY want, in order to make the Studio edition more attractive? I'm actually surprised that they included the Primatte Keyer and their Ultra Keyer in the free version.. well, that and about half the features found in the "light" version... I'm not sure BMD knows what "light" means. With it's current feature set, I think they should have charged something... $299.00, maybe (with fewer features)? :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 10, 2014 at 11:24:13 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I notice that the free version doesn't seem to include optical flow retiming which seems like quite a big omission - not a deal-breaker, but you'd really want to have it if you were getting serious with the application."

And yet optical flow is in the free version of Resolve. If they get it to integrate with Resolve then I am more than happy to stump up the $995. I did for Resolve but that was by buying one of their 4k cameras.

I am hovering over CC subscription and milking CS6 for the relatively simple features that I need for finishing docos so if I can get my head around Fusion and if it integrates elegantly with Resolve then I have a comfortable finish tool that exceeds my requirements. I will always prefer to sub out VFX and graphic design elements but I do need an extension of Resolve's toolset so it looks exciting to me at this stage. It might be a case of just going for the Photoshop CC subscription for my stills work.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 11, 2014 at 12:56:39 am

[Shawn Miller] "So, just out of curiosity. Is anyone here (besides Michael, Simon and Walter) considering giving Fusion a try? If so, what are you expecting to use it for; compositing, motion graphics, VFX, a blend of all three? What other software are you hoping to replace or extend with Fusion?"

Going to give it a try, went with the free version on my Windows laptop. Waiting for the OS X version to come about, just a waiting game for now.

I would never use a node based compositor for motion graphics. For more complex green screen work, Fusion would be a better option. Motion and After Effects still have their place. Motion is too much of an investment for me to walk away from. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Grant Petty talks about Fusion for OS X
on Nov 11, 2014 at 1:03:55 am

Not sure if anyone posted this here yet but Grant Petty posted in the Blackmagic forum about Fusion for Mac as well as doing other things and doubling their engineering team.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=29406#p178950

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Grant Petty talks about Fusion for OS X
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:11:18 am

Excellent news in there. Look forward to when it does become available for Mac, hoping for a release at the end of this year but will just have to wait.

While my work does not require a powerful program such as Fusion, going to look at it to process still images. A node based approach might be a bit much but look forward to a more powerful, flexible way of doing things. I am certainly excited by the news.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 12, 2014 at 5:51:00 pm

David, I had the same epiphany when I dropped a psd file in and saw how it split the layers into nodes. It made me think that the may be unique ways to further manipulate some work started in photoshop and so for my next part of the learning curve I might play with stills.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 18, 2014 at 1:07:26 am

[Michael Gissing] "It made me think that the may be unique ways to further manipulate some work started in photoshop and so for my next part of the learning curve I might play with stills."

Pretty much how I am going to learn the software as well. Another aspect I am considering is processing a photo in Fusion because of the node based approach which will make some tasks either more efficient or easier. That photo would be part of a title sequence but will handle the remainder of the work in Motion. The photo would be used a background and brought in as a single layer.

Also, considering doing stop motion animation and plan to use Fusion to remove any unwanted objects (should they show up) as well as cleaning up as necessary.

Will not completely replace Motion with Fusion but will use it for more complex workflows (as necessary) along with enhancing photos (as described above) for a title sequence. Just waiting for the Mac OS X version.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]