FORUMS: list search recent posts

I recommend everyone watch the entire SuperMeet "sneak"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Roth Weiss
I recommend everyone watch the entire SuperMeet "sneak"
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:49:38 am

To all of my fellow FCP Cows who, like me, got their news about Final Cut X live via blogs or on Twitter, or who've only read the reports after the fact, I highly recommend you look around and find one of the available video records of complete Apple Sneek Peek from the Vegas SuperMeet. You owe it to yourself to actually listen to the presenters themselves, especially if you're one of those whose feeling depressed or disgruntled.

Personally, I was initially very uncertain, even worried, after all the live blogs and Tweets I'd read. However, after listening to the entire presentation on video, my entire outlook has changed.

I think there were many things lost in translation in those live Twitter feeds and blogs, and in the subsequent articles I read as well. The presenters dropped loads of subtle hints, and made lots of subtle references to an entire range of things that are coming later in X, that were mentioned nowhere else. And trust me, I read almost every word, by nearly every person reporting from NAB.

What I heard when watching the complete video of the "sneak peek" made me feel much more secure, and I began to think that we are in the hands of some very bright guys who really do get it, and who know exactly what we do, and who know what they're doing. I'm much more relaxed about the whole thing now, and I'm actually looking forward cutting my first project on X.

While I suspect the road ahead ironing out the kinks is gonna be bitch, I'll be one of those doing it. And, I have a feeling that a year from now most of us are simply going to be doing our work and wondering what all the fuss was about.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
Re: I recommend everyone watch the entire SuperMeet "sneak"
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:07:42 am

Hey David!

Now that 24 hours have passed since the sneak peek, i have realised 2 things.

If i think of present i should be very happy with the new release. 64 bit application, No rendering, nice interface, better audio features & blah blah blah.

But when i think about future of this application, 2 things bother me.

1. Price has gone down to $ 299. So effectively the worth of each license has gone down & application has become more dispensible to apple's plans.

2. This was touted to be a ground breaking application. It is not. Apple has simply caught up with Adobe & Avid. This is normally not their style. They are always 2 steps ahead of their competitors with every new invention.

Having said all this, there is still a lot to be found about FCP X. Lets just hope that apple has held back a big & nice surprise for all of us FCP editors!

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:49:11 am

I think you're going to be surprised in the coming months as you see and hear more. Mean while let me address the two things that you say bother you.

[Sohrab Sandhu] "1. Price has gone down to $ 299. So effectively the worth of each license has gone down & application has become more dispensible to apple's plans."

2 million users X $299 = $600 million cash via the app store - that's not chump change, and it will far exceed whatever the development costs are.

[Sohrab Sandhu] "2. This was touted to be a ground breaking application. It is not. Apple has simply caught up with Adobe & Avid. This is normally not their style. They are always 2 steps ahead of their competitors with every new invention."

They showed very little in their 45-minute sneak, we know almost nothing at this point. I don't think your concern is valid at this point and you need to wait and see what X really has in store before you label it.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Alex Hawkins
on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:48:35 am

David I too found watching the whole presentation much more enlightening and am looking forward to trying X out. On the whole I am much less worried than I was 24 hours ago.

I can, though, never get over the crowds reaction to every little new thing that is demoed. All the ooohs and the aaahs are just a bit too much for me when I am eating my lunch at the same time and the standing ovation when the price was mentioned was enough to make me choke on my apple. . .ahem!

Alex Hawkins
Canberra, Australia

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:23:59 am

[Sohrab Sandhu] "1. Price has gone down to $ 299. So effectively the worth of each license has gone down & application has become more dispensible to apple's plans."
Remember all those people saying "the top of the range dodecacore Mac Pro is really cool, but I don't have anything that will use all that power"? Now they do. Apple's going to sell truckloads of those towers. All to run a $300 app.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:29:30 pm

Yes FCP is $299. Previously the entire suite (FCP, DVDSP, Motion, Soundtrack, Compressor, Color) was $1000. 6 applications for $1000 versus 1 for $300. Simple division; the price has gone up!

Scott Davis
View Scott Davis's profile on LinkedIn

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:02:20 pm

[Scott Davis]Yes FCP is $299. Previously the entire suite (FCP, DVDSP, Motion, Soundtrack, Compressor, Color) was $1000. 6 applications for $1000 versus 1 for $300. Simple division; the price has gone up!

Well, LOL, yes. But my feeling is that Color, Soundtrack and at least a bit of Motion is in there now. So maybe we are getting "them all" for $299 all combined into 1, like a mini-Smoke/Flint/etc. We will see.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:34:55 pm

[Scott Davis] "Yes FCP is $299. Previously the entire suite (FCP, DVDSP, Motion, Soundtrack, Compressor, Color) was $1000. 6 applications for $1000 versus 1 for $300. Simple division; the price has gone up!
"

Heh.

You also have to consider that the App Store has no upgrade pricing. Yeah, FCP X is $299. But FCP 11 (or whatever they call it) will probably be another $299, even for existing owners. So all they've done is lower the initial purchase price... which will probably result in more customers on the FCP upgrade treadmill, which is just as profitable as it used to be. It's pretty clear that FCP is going to make more money for Apple, not less, as a consequence of this approach to pricing. There's not much cause to worry about it becoming a less important product to the company.

(Anyway, the two big reasons Apple is in such a niche market in the first place is that a) it helps sell expensive hardware and b) I think Apple gets legitimately excited about making tools that world-class creative types use to do interesting things. Both of those motivations would still be there even if they gave the app away for free.)

Digital Workflow/Colorist
Nice Dissolve Digital Cinema

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:01:51 pm

[Sohrab Sandhu]1.Price has gone down to $ 299. So effectively the worth of each license has gone down & application has become more dispensible to apple's plans.

This makes absolutely no difference for current FCP users, unless you're afraid of more competition. For Apple it means more users which will translate into more developments for us current users.

[Sohrab Sandhu] 2. This was touted to be a ground breaking application. It is not. Apple has simply caught up with Adobe & Avid. This is normally not their style. They are always 2 steps ahead of their competitors with every new invention.

It was a sneak peek. You don't know all yet. Besides just based on what was already shown how can you say they are just playing catch up? On the 64bit front sure. But does Premiere have power windows withing the application? Does even Media Composer? Do PP CS5 or MC5.5 offer any of the new timeline features that FCP X does? That alone will speed up editing in a huge way. There are several new and innovative features that they don't offer either. When you think it's all for $299 makes me think if Avid or Adobe will ever sell another Mac copy of their programs. Apple is just re-inventing the way to edit video and I have the feeling that in the near future Avid and Adobe will be playing catch up and changing their old way to the new way.
Now as we don't know all yet, it can still all go south obviously. But I agree with David. After I watched the videos I was MUCH more relaxed. At the moment it's looking up rather than down.

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:43:17 pm

I don't think Apple have re-invented how we edit but if the moving timeline thing with tracks hopping out of the way works and doesn't have any nasty caveats it will be a marvelous step forwards and they look to have sorted grouping out in a clever and clean fashion. It does look more than just catch-up and having used Premiere for a couple of jobs, which it did ok, it still just edits in the same way everything else does, it's benefit was using any daft format you can think of, which Avid quickly did as has FCP, weather we think it is sensible or not is another thing. I think it looks more Pro than it has in all previous versions and I don't really care if it costs more to buy all the apps separately.

Anyone at NAB managed to drag any info about Color out of the Apple people who must be just standing around waiting to answer our burning questions? Is it going to be released new at the same time as FCPX? I presume it has been upgraded of course!!!! (that would not be a good thought!)

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 14, 2011 at 1:52:24 pm

Did you watch the video demo or were there?
By looking at it, I'm not sure we have Color as a stand alone application anymore. I could be wrong. But the color correction part of FCP-X looked a lot like it can do what Color does. I think they may have fused Color into FCP-X. Let's see.

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:05:34 pm

I only watched the vids, but form what I could see of the colour correction it's not in any way a replacement for Color, it matches both PPro and Avid's in-App. CC'ing but that isn't really anything more than FCP already offer, ok it is a bit it's not a finishing program, unless they accept that Resolve will fully take that over in the same way that Nuke surpassed Shakes usefulness. Perhaps that is not a bad move, if it means that FCPX, XI, XII etc. will be supported more enthusiastically. I was told that BM have said they are hoping to release a roundtrip with FCP and Resolve so perhaps they knew something a while ago.

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:15:34 pm

Well, it's too early to say if all of Color's functionality has been integrated, but it's definitely is not the old FCP cc tools. Didn't you see power windows in there?

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:25:06 pm

Yeah, I have to admit it looks a lot more powerful than any of the old CC tools. Damned mean of Apple, toying with us by showing FCP but nothing more, makes me feel like a I am 8 and I think I know what I am getting for Christmas but it's still days away.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:14:51 pm

Hi
How long has QT X been out, yet FCP 7 still needs QT 7?
Appleinsider carried a story last year that it might be 2013 before everything in the new versions are sorted...
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/30/troubled_development_2011_lau...

That delay could be a reason why FCP X is priced as it is - it could be a while before we get the full 64-bit-all-the-rest (though an interim version may appear later this year).

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:22:47 pm

Interesting... but is FCP X build on or around Quicktime?
Beside of the fact that the story from Appleinsider is rumor. NOt sure if I should even consider this as possibility

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:36:10 pm

Hi
Rumor? Of course.
Here's the rest of the quote - and the reason the complexity might delay things...
"...all applications forming the suite will not be indepedent as currently, but integrated inside a single super-application. The main interface will be using the concept of rooms, where each room represents a step in the post-production workflow associated to each application."
http://www.hardmac.com/news/2009/10/19/more-information-on-forthcoming-fina...

Whilst Color might be completely rolled in to FCP X, surely there is additional need for Motion/Shake/AE compositing, and a ProTools equivalent, so there has to be more, surely?

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:13:41 am

I had the same experience when watching the complete presentation.
People are just scared for change and the look of imovie which is not.
The reality is that fcp7 was old code. They couldnt just fix that and except to be stable.
People also react like they cant use fcp7 anymore. If you have a macpro with fcp7
Dont worry!! It will run for much years to come!!
Go watch the presentation!!!!

Return to posts index

Eric Susch
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:05:42 am

Wow!

I took your advice David and I watched videos of the sneak peek. I was very, very impressed with what I saw. Audio tracks that move out of the way, tagging only a small range in a clip, dragable audio fade-in/out, trimming while being able to see the hidden parts of the clips... I have to say the presentation reminded me of Larry's demo of edit 6.0 at the discreet edit NAB meeting from back in the day. (IIRC You were arrested at that meeting ;-)

Seeing FCP X actually work in the live demo gives you a lot more information that any text description. Of course this was just a short demo of what I'm sure are the coolest new features and the real question is how it will work day to day. Some of the hype made me a little nervous like "You won't ever have to worry about going out of sync ever again!" Really? But that type of reality distortion field is to be expected in any Apple presentation. There's still some big questions too like integration with Motion, can you have multiple timelines, etc.

Overall though I'm just blown away. I'm really looking forward to upgrading and trying it out. I'm sure it will be a grind to get used to it at first and there will be bugs (it's essentially version 1.0 after all) but I'm game.

Here's the second part of the video I watched in case anyone else is interested. It's the part with the live demo.

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:01:11 am

I agree David, the more I see the more I like it. I've always liked working in the timeline in a very organic way - my Fast 601/Silver had this functionality (though nowhere near as comprehensive) and I loved it - it ran rings around Avid and FCP at the time. This is like that on steroids. I for one am VERY exited about this, and I reckon we'll all be wondering how the hell we put up with those old fashioned timelines in a year or so.

I'll definitely be an 'early adopter'!

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:26:30 am

David,

I agree. Anyone who has devoted any time to editing footage professionally will see that APPLE has included things that will also advance the art of the editing craft itself. From what I am seeing this is a very considered rethink of editing craft.

My main complaint with most NLE's has always been that they were quick to ad bells and whistles but not so quick to make the process of breaking down footage and assembling shots simpler.

Advancing this art and making it creative and flexible is new.

AVID is a good editor, FCP was a miniversion of AVID which merged into a suite of apps, I see premiere as a copy of the Apple Suite with some extra horsepower, but the new FCP will make the craft of editing simpler.

I can not wait to get my hands on it. I am all for simpler, easier, smoother. I don't want keyframes getting in the way of my creative choices. The trimming they demonstrated alone is enough for me to buy the new app.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:29:50 am

+1 - I watched this yesterday and felt a lot more reassured. I still don't understand why Apple didn't release this properly themselves. I know it's a 'sneak peek' and we have Larry Jordan saying there's more to come, but this was a room with 1700 people in, and this ships in June - so only 2 months away. This better be near complete.

I get the feeling this is something I'm going to be running on a test system and laptop for a while before it goes anywhere near my broadcast kits - even assuming my third party hardware and plugins all work with it in June, which I doubt. Randy Ubilos stating that it's beta and he hopes it doesn't crash made me nervous - unless we are to believe they showed at earlier version that hid a lot of features they don't want to announce now. But if that's the case - why? You only get one chance to make a first impression...

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:43:59 pm

[Ben Holmes] "I get the feeling this is something I'm going to be running on a test system and laptop for a while before it goes anywhere near my broadcast kits - even assuming my third party hardware and plugins all work with it in June, which I doubt."

I suspect we'll be hammering at X from lots of directions. However, the fact that it's new code should make it much easier for the architects and developers to make necessary fixes without working around old roadblocks.

As I said before, the X development team at Apple have to be expecting an initial barrage of fixes and feature requests in the first few weeks and months. So, we here at the Cow need to be prepared to feed them good information so they know they can look to us for help and not just criticism.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:47:56 am

Hi

This looks amazing, it is a whole new looking app. and it looks to work in a whole new way, wonderful, I like learning new things if the reward is good. It looks to have taken some of the good bits from other apps. like SoundtrackPro and if that app has died because of that then personally I am happy, I used STP because audio in FCP was really rather naff and STP did manage "send & return" most of the time but this is great. Now, if they have made a roundtrip to Logic work well then things will get interesting.

The original write ups of the demo said that Color looked to have gone but that demo merely shows that Apple have made colour correction a different and much better beast from within FCP. I now have good hopes for Color and if they have unified the GUI to the same look then they have made the best choice, might even make Motion feel more usable.

I also reckon that the $299 is just for FCPX and the other Apps will be priced separately.

Hope that all the other Apps. have had the same upgrade. When's the next demo? I want to know what they look like now!

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:48:46 am

Your right I had the same feeling, and now I really want it and try it out!
For some reason I feel [from what I have seen] the new FCP X is leaning toward a Smoke like software.
Not just editing but finishing it one app.

Also if there is going to be a next Motion then its going to be a kicker...

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:30:29 pm

[Andree Franks] "Your right I had the same feeling, and now I really want it and try it out!
For some reason I feel [from what I have seen] the new FCP X is leaning toward a Smoke like software.
Not just editing but finishing it one app."

Linear floating point processing is certainly leaning in that direction. The open question is support for non-MOV file formats, like R3D or DPX -- whether it's there out of the box, and if it's not, what kind of extensibility is possible.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:51:34 am

Nice ! Good idea to actually listen to the presenters. Beats the hysterical screeching, gun-jumping and over-analysing that's been going on here and across teh interweb

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Apr 14, 2011 at 12:45:58 pm

As Job said: Awesome.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 2:14:01 pm

sort of awesome - there are problems -

are you limited to a single project, it kind of looks like it - can you tab timelines?
with no track designations, how do OMFs work?
can we still slide and trim clips directly in the timeline, or do we have to enter that incredibly OTT AB editing mode?
with no clip viewer, how does multiclip work?
where do we set in and out points prior to stamping to the timeline? are we stuck using a yellow selection square? (i can't believe they didn't address that in the demo)
Clips automatically swapping around each other looks insane - my edit is not a jenga puzzle, that has to be turnoffable.
with only a single smart cursor, in other words with the tool palette, and the other states of the cursor (blade, slip, roll) gone, does this mean i have to jump into the AB trim mode all the time?
why is there an entire menu designated "share" and is anyone else freaked out by that?
why are they listing as key benefits auto tools to compensate for shoddy audio and bad camera shake? these are prosumer solutions, is this a prosumer product? What about all the facilities that invested vast amount of money in transitioning to FCP?
Can we look forward to red eye reduction being the next headline feature?

blech.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:01:02 pm

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "Clips automatically swapping around each other looks insane - my edit is not a jenga puzzle, that has to be turnoffable."

I suspect it's likely that Magnetic Timeline can be toggled off with a key, like snapping on the timeline in FCP 7.

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "with only a single smart cursor, in other words with the tool palette, and the other states of the cursor (blade, slip, roll) gone, does this mean i have to jump into the AB trim mode all the time?"

I have no specific information about Apple's approach, but you could do all of this very smoothly with modifier keys. Position the cursor just to the left of a clip boundary, and you'd get the ripple tool by default, but hit the option key and you'd get the roll tool. Position the cursor over the middle of a clip and you'd get the selection tool, hold option for the slip tool.

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "why is there an entire menu designated "share" and is anyone else freaked out by that?"

Not especially. If it's like the Share command in FCP 7, it's for generating all sorts of useful Internet deliverables and also provides access to Compressor presets. That's not just 'prosumer' functionality.

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "why are they listing as key benefits auto tools to compensate for shoddy audio and bad camera shake? these are prosumer solutions, is this a prosumer product?"

Audio glitches and camera shake are the exclusive domain of amateur productions. I see them all the time on indie features. Yes, hopefully on a feature you've got better approaches to fixing these things than FCP's automated tools -- but typically those approaches don't come into play until after your edit is locked. So even on features, there's value in FCP X's automatic footage-fixing capabilities -- it should make offline edits feel a little more polished, which eliminates distractions and lets you send around higher quality rough cuts.

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:05:05 pm

Lot of questions, but no facts at all.

Blech

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:09:35 pm

I have to admit something.

I rarely use the clip viewer now. in V 7. I'm dragging stuff direct to the timeline and trimming it there most of the time. Maybe I'm ahead of my time, based on FCPX:-)

I used to drive an Edit*6 back in the day before autodescreet took it out to the backwoods and shot it in the head for no reason... and man that was a sweet and responsive interface. I remember that I could re-name unnamed clips right in the timeline as I was working with them, and Edit* would rememebr what the clip was and where it lived no matere what I typed or re-typed there. And I really, really liked that. That, and the charcoal flavored skin of the GUI.

good times........

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:21:29 pm

okedoke - say what about this use scenario - you've got a ten minute interview recorded, you've got a rough paper edit of quotes and you're spooling through to find that section where she backs up an earlier point, you're going to splice that baby into a 10-15 minute corporate edit -

how is that happening in FCP X? I'm looking at filmstrip, how do I playback filmstrip? how do I set an out, jkl back for sentence start and set an in? In all states of the browser as shown in the screencaps, whether it's tiles, list view with one filmstrip, or all film strip, I don't see how I'm doing one of the most basic required tasks - I mean I can't go dumping ten minutes on the timeline every time i want to pull a quote.

they had ample opportunity to show setting in and out points in a clip viewer - but from the video the clip viewer is definitely collapsed into the canvas, and I've looked long at those screenshots - I don't see any set in point buttons anywhere on that editing system, all I see are imovie filmstrips and yellow bounding boxes - if this is really how it is - apple are completely out of their minds.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:19:52 pm

The video is now viewed in the canvas window while you scrub on the filmstrip clips, I would imagine JKL works on the keyboard as would i and o, speculation I know but I'm sure Apple wouldn't change that

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:24:24 pm

Aindreas maybe you want to watch the demo one more time.
From the first look (nobody has seen a full functional Demonstration of FCPX) the viewer is in the Timeline and Canvas.
So breaking up a clip in sub-clips should be no different as now. Also it was mention you can drive Final Cut Pro X fully with a Keyboard... which I do today. So I can imagine a in and out to timeline function "should" exist.

On the magnetic timeline doesn't Velocity already have this function?

Return to posts index

Fredy Schwerdtner
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:31:57 pm

I agree with you David.
I'm crazy to start working with X. I've heard people saying: " If Apple doesn't change this or that I will change for another NLE software" ... .
I don't want to do it and by the things that I saw in the video and in the "between the lines" of the speaches, I will not have to do it.

MacBook Pro 17"
2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
(2) External HD LaCieMac (400/800 FW and USB)with 500GB -(2) USB External HD Western Digital (in cases) with 750GB
OS X 10.6.5
Final Cut Studio "3"

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:30:28 pm

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "why are they listing as key benefits auto tools to compensate for shoddy audio and bad camera shake? these are prosumer solutions, is this a prosumer product? What about all the facilities that invested vast amount of money in transitioning to FCP?"

Aindreas,

It's easy to jump to conclusions when shown so little. Our minds attempt to fill in the blanks and we begin to associate missing and often irrelevant information into something that seems logical and satisfies our desire for resolution.

I suspect that you and anyone else who have already formed conclusions from what they saw on Tuesday are simply filling the blanks with their own versions of reality.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 3:36:51 pm

almost certainly right there David - if you think I'm freaking out here - you should have seen me on my facebook page yesterday - i was like groucho marx doing the circledance on the floor...

everything you say there is true, and really, as long as I knew I could invoke a separate clip viewer and re-specify tracks for locking, GFX, black bars or whatever, I could go with it pretty happily - also there's the advanced selection tools, de-magnetising the track, oh wait: i'm freaking out again...

Return to posts index

Tim O'Grady
on Apr 14, 2011 at 4:45:38 pm

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "why are they listing as key benefits auto tools to compensate for shoddy audio and bad camera shake?"

This comment, repeated by more than a few on these forums in the last few days, is starting to bother me more than others. I'd really like to see the raw footage from people like Aindreas, which judging from their comments, is shot so perfectly as to never need grading or correction. I'll assume as well that the audio they get never needs sweetening or adjusting because it's always perfectly recorded on location. It was stated early on that the auto tools in FCX are nondestructive, so why wouldn't you at least see what this feature can do to speed up your workflow before calling it a prosumer, iMove feature? And why are people assuming that these features are not customizable? What proof do they have that they are going to be stuck with one way of editing or one workflow?
To answer your question: they listed these features because they wanted to impress upon people the powerful new engine running FCX. In short, they're showing off, they're bragging, and if you could see past the hysteria perpetuated by you and others on these forums you might just be a little impressed by the potential of the product.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:17:20 pm

no sure tim - of course, I really appreciate hum and pop coming in from STP - its great to sweeten scratch VO's -
and I've had to stabilise plenty of shots in my day - I still tend to wander off into AE for that which is silly.. as for the grading thing -

the raw footage from people like Aindreas, which judging from their comments, is shot so perfectly as to never need grading or correction.
that seems a little bit of a straw man to me - i take colour correction pretty seriously, and it's something I consider at picture lock - I've graded HD station Idents shot from coptors in the the Colour Finesse that comes free with AE - I'm not a tool snob, and I actually like nothing more then really getting in and fixing a ton of shots in the three way before walloping into looks - that's a nice day - what is not feasible, professionally, is hosing all the clips with auto balance and auto contrast at ingest - that's not a goer as its going to mask my ability to analyse the kinds of issues that might be in the various interior exterior set ups. I just don't think it's a professional thing to offer me.

but even that's not my point anyway - my point is the tenor of the conversation from apple - I've been working broadcast and corporate for fifteen years now and I don't know anyone who would allow colour correction, stabilisation and auto categorisation to get blasted on all clips at input - again with face detection - sure in theory it sounds kind of nice and in terms of IV's maybe its good - but what if you have a two person IV where the b-roll is going from individual reacts to wides to hands - are those bits all going to get sent to different smart tag locations? Given that i couldn't really rely on it not to have unintended consequences, I'd have no option but to turn all that stuff off and set about carefully assembling and tagging my own bins as I always do. Moreover I would argue that the process of viewing naming and tagging bins is essential to the editing process. It is not a mind numbing chore - it is your first apprehension of the footage, and I make strong initial decisions from my first takes. Ingesting and assembling bins by hand has intrinsic worth.

Ultimately If the updates are going to keep adding 'let me do that for you' features, am I just keep finding myself struggling to avoid prosumer tools messing with me, then maybe the product is being pointed at another category? one that rhymes with drosumer?

I'm not even saying there is no worth to the features - but that kind of conversation Apple is having now is different from say - 'all filters have been recoded for full 32 bit float, legacy filters are easily transcoded, FCP 7 projects are compatible and compressor has been completely recoded to allow use of all cores'

as to the products potential - sure - and in conversation I've said that this is maybe like osx 10.2 or something - and I jump on at 10.4 - it ultimately depends on how many mission critical features have survived the new coding, and apple's commitment to rounding out the feature base.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:23:24 pm

Aindreas,

Your assumptions are just that, "assumptions," and are in most cases they appear to be clearly based on your fears of those things you don't and can't possibly know.

Let me give a precise example of what I'm referring to... The Las Vegas "sneak" was shown on a single monitor. Is Chicken Little running all over pronouncing "the sky is falling...," and is CL declaring unequivocally that FCX has to be a single monitor solution, because he saw only one with his own eyes, or because he didn't see a second monitor with his own eyes?

The answer is, of course not... One expensive Barco projector was donated, not two, and the guys from Apple showed off their single monitor arrangement accordingly.

My point is, you can make assumptions all day long about what you didn't see, but those assumption are what your brain is making up to fill the gaps. Whether that has anything to do with reality is a whole different story.

Do you understand what I'm saying?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:26:47 pm

yes indeed sorry - I should really just stick to freaking out on twitter and FB with my fellow editor types in london, although they all think I'm losing the plot a tiny bit too.

Right now I'm this guy:

Return to posts index

Martin Curtis
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:55:16 pm

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] " I don't know anyone who would allow colour correction, stabilisation and auto categorisation to get blasted on all clips at input "
I think that FCP X does an analysis of the clips on ingestion, so they are ready for correction. I've used stabilisation on FCP and that analysis bit takes a long time so anything that speeds that up is a Good Thing.

"People detection" for FCP X didn't quite sound like person detection by face, but that would be handy.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:31:28 pm

i know - you're right - I presume its just counting heads -
its just that it's been a joyful season in london watching FCP mushroom into existence all over the place - basically I really don't want that to go away because post facilities get scared off.

In a perfect world this software wins on a photoshop scale level - where it ramps from basic use scenarios cleanly through to the top end, then I'll like, never have to learn another editing system again, said the lazy man hopefully.

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:23:11 am

[ Aindreas O Gallchoir]"Ultimately If the updates are going to keep adding 'let me do that for you' features, am I just keep finding myself struggling to avoid prosumer tools messing with me, then maybe the product is being pointed at another category? one that rhymes with drosumer?"

Oh please!!!
Stop it already. It's starting to hurt!
The auto stuff is there IF YOU WANT TO USE IT! You don't have to. If you want do it the hard way or if the auto stuff can't fix it well enough, just turn it off!

What is it with all the unfounded negative stuff? Is this coming from insecurity because the application is now more affordable and more people can compete with you or what?

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:29:05 am

I still don't understand what is wrong with a auto color balance?
If a Camera can do it why not NLR software?? Besides if your footage balanced correctly shouldn't FCPX recognize this?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:30:39 am

Get ready for the pain - I freakout like, all the way down this thread, and I would say I'm not freaking out on the price, I'm freaking out because I have a propensity to go headless chicken...

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:41:35 am

Oh God! Bring out the shrink. :D

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 15, 2011 at 10:06:23 am

[Adam Claude Jones] "Oh God! Bring out the shrink. :D"

Shrink Wrap Version you say? Cripes, I heard they were only going to supply FCPX via the App Store now. Ah wait, that means I'll have to download it onto my iPhone, Sync it to my laptop, then transfer it to the Main Machine, stop me if I am getting things wrong here please. This is going to take a long, long time. Think I'll scrap it all and go with Vegas, I read a quote of a blog somewhere that said it could do everything that FCP XXI wouldn't even hope to do and all on a platform that met every dead line it made, ate bugs for breakfast (might only be a rumour about senior execs.) and never, ever, ever released a piece of software before they new it would work perfectly.

Eh, what was the number of your shrink?

Roland

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:48:53 pm

[Roland Manuel] "I heard they were only going to supply FCPX via the App Store now. Ah wait, that means I'll have to download it onto my iPhone, Sync it to my laptop, then transfer it to the Main Machine, stop me if I am getting things wrong here please. "

this is a joke right? you know the app store comes with osx like itunes or mail?

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:10:44 pm

[Andree Franks] "[Roland Manuel] "I heard they were only going to supply FCPX via the App Store now. Ah wait, that means I'll have to download it onto my iPhone, Sync it to my laptop, then transfer it to the Main Machine, stop me if I am getting things wrong here please. "

this is a joke right? you know the app store comes with osx like itunes or mail?"

I'm sorry, yes it is a joke, well I hope is anyway. Perhaps a bit too dry for everyones frazzled nerves. I apologise, next time I will include the smiley face thing if I can find it.

Roland

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:26:17 pm

[Tim O'Grady] "they listed these features because they wanted to impress upon people the powerful new engine running FCX."

This is such an important point. The feature set for FCPX is certainly important to us today, but its potential is important for us tomorrow.

Technology has changed a lot since FCP's early development 13-15 years ago, and I think most of the items on the standard list of criticisms of FCP7 can be attributed to its legacy architecture. Making a clean break from that older and limited infrastructure to meet our needs now makes a lot of sense. And there's a bonus -- no more KG Core errors!

While I still have some reservations about FCPX being a 1.0 product -- I am trying to withhold judgment until I use it -- I am really encouraged to see 64-bit development, the use of Open CL and Grand Central, and the implementation of real color management, a floating-point color system, and resolution independence. A version of FCP8 based on the same core as v7 wouldn't have made table stakes in 2011, but the features shown in the demo imply a fantastic platform to continue to build on.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike Petty
on Apr 14, 2011 at 5:38:18 pm

Some random thoughts on all of the sturm and drang about FCP X...

I think it looks pretty interesting. I suspect I'll feel the same way about the other software in the suite when it hits the bricks. Will I have have to do a lot of relearning? Sure. Will it cost me time and money ramping up and relearning? Yep. Business is business...what are you gonna do? I've got computers and software in my storage space that I spent a fortune on that is outdated and useless (don't even get me going on cameras, lights, etc). That is life in the big city. Figure it out. Adapt. Evolve. Donate. Write Off.

A thought about the event...

What you saw the other night was what we used to call "State Streeting". I was in marketing for a massively huge consumer products company in Chicago back when we cut our commercials with razor blades, grease pencils, white gloves and movieolas. When we wanted to get a feel for a product, concept or an ad or any other marketing proposition we would mock up a concept board (like an ad) or draw a storyboard, run it downstairs to State Street and show it to people walking by.

Another name was Disaster Check. It was just to make sure we were not full of our own crap and that the product development was fundamentally sound. That the consumer "got it". There was always more development to be done but this just helped keep us on track.

That's what Tuesday night (and the selected editor preview a month or so ago) was. Apple "State Streeted" FCP (and FCP only). That's why there was no Q&A. Why do your think Schiller was there? This was not a product intro. He just wanted to get a feel for things. I'll wager he may have been thinking..."Looks like maybe 70% love it...and if 30% hate it and threaten to abandon the brand? OK I can live with that since the real market for my brand is the middle (which thanks to DSLRs and the incredible demand for online content) is freaking exploding. I'll keep enough high profile users like Murch and the Coen Brothers around to keep my brands cred. Don't want to use FCP anymore and feel like we've somehow screwed you? Fine. See ya. Flame me on the boards all you want. Mazel Tov" Cynical? Sure. But at the end of the day...business is business.

FCP (and I suspect FCS in some new form) will sell like hotcakes and Apple will also sell a ton of computers (including more than a few to new Adobe and Avid fans) . I own Apple Stock. I am smiling.

On a similar subject...

Apple may not do focus groups per se...but now WE know which of all of the whiners around here would demand "faster horses".

Another thought...

The word professional is sure being thrown around a lot in relative to editing software and it seems to me there sure are a heck of a lot of people with a pretty narrow definition of that word. And by narrow I mean the mooks who think if you are not THEIR kind of pro then you must be an amateur. I don't do what a lot of you do but I make a pretty damn good living at it. My clients pay me a lot to make films for them. I am a professional. Period. Geography, your equipment or the fact that your work shows up in different places than mine does not make you any more or less of a pro than me.

And speaking of my clients, not one has ever asked how much my software costs...because they don't give a rat's ass. All they care about is the effectiveness of the films and how much it costs to produce them. $299. Great. My margins just improved.

Thanks for letting me rant...I had some time while my job was rendering. HA!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 14, 2011 at 7:02:41 pm

From what I saw at the demo (all of it). I have to say that what I am most impressed with is the magnetic timeline and the metadata integration.

They took the point of view that the timeline is an editors "canvas" that is where we spend out time. and they built in tools (like auditioning) that mean I do not have to spend time versioning. I can version in the timeline.

I love the waveforms and the audio functionality and I am guessing that if they built it from the ground up OMF and XML are really well integrated (especially with all of that keyword and metadata integration).

I really want to get my hands on it. I think it will be liberating. They took trimming and seem to have advanced it to a new level by letting us see more of the footage. This means that we will spend less time playing back in a trim window and jumping in and out of "modes" a big fat time waster.

I also think they have not unleashed all of the power yet, but based on what I saw there is not really any other NLE that has this kind of timeline power. NOT AVID and not PREMIERE and NOT FCP 7.

We are in for great new times.

To those people want to call it iMovie, talk to Logic owners. They NEW logic interface really streamlined workflow. A week or two in this new software and we will be rocking it.

IN terms of "Professional". I'm the professional not the software application.

Peace.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:08:17 pm

I reviewed the presentation again per David's recommendation. This time my reaction is that the application (at this point) is half-baked, and still has a long way to go before it will be ready for prime time.

For example. did anyone notice any transitions on the timeline? We know there has to be transitions, but my guess is that they, along with many other features, are simply not (stably) implemented at this point in time.

I think Apple probably made a mistake showing product this early, and I'm guessing that a June release is far too optimistic. I'm thinking more like a year from now, unless they release a buggy mess.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:35:59 pm

I saw transitions on the timeline. He put in a couple of Cross-fades.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:45:44 pm

they did actually implement transitions on the b-roll "second story" grouping towards the end there.

I've been watching the french guy's video of the demo half the day - here's one thing that got me - when he's scrubbing for the skid splash bits and assigning them to the tags - when the canvas temporarily becomes the viewer - the temporary clip viewer doesn't seem to get its own scrubber, its just the visual output for the scrubbing you're doing on the filmstrips - I guess what i'm wondering is -
is scrubbing outside the timeline confined to the filmstrip? when the canvas becomes the clip viewer - why wouldn't i get a timeline strip under it to scrub and set/shift in and out points on.. annnd I'm going headless chicken again.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 14, 2011 at 8:58:06 pm

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "when the canvas temporarily becomes the viewer - the temporary clip viewer doesn't seem to get its own scrubber, its just the visual output for the scrubbing you're doing on the filmstrips"
Hi
Isn't that what has always happened - on old Premiere 3-6 then FCP? The video output to the (single) broadcast video monitor shows a view of whatever you are playing/scrubbing in the interface?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 9:04:33 pm

yessss - but you know what I mean - this all useless wittering on my part - I'm just basically curious if scrubbing material outside the timeline is restricted to the filmstrips - they're awfully small - what if its ten odd minutes of interview material - is that going to be broken up over ten or twenty small film strip cells - almost certainly not I suppose, I just haven't seen anything but that as a solution from the demo..

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:33:06 am

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "annnd I'm going headless chicken again."

I think you're better off logging off and coming back on June 9th before you have a heart attack with all the ungrounded assumptions this thing is trigging on you. :D

Return to posts index

Adam Claude Jones
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:39:49 am

[Eric Jurgenson ] "I think Apple probably made a mistake showing product this early, and I'm guessing that a June release is far too optimistic. I'm thinking more like a year from now, unless they release a buggy mess."

First of all they actually showed transitions on the demo.

Second, I think they just didn't have enough time to show more and wanted to show the NEW stuff and the flashy stuff at that.
Apple was never known for missing release dates. It's not RED we are talking about here.
Surely it will have bugs. ALL new software do and surely did FCP7. But to think Apple announced it too early is honestly a foolish thought. They probably have been working on this since FCP6, reason FCS 3 was so lack luster and cheaper and not even called FSC 3. They knew it was just a matter of time. I'm sure they were not early at all. They had it well planned.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:15:23 pm

no fair ball - and when submitting to here - I'm an fcp head who, for instance, only learnt how to deal with multiclips in anger properly in the last three months, i'm that half baked - I'm also not looking to flame a soul but - well basically - brass tacks - if the filmstrip is the new viewer area, and there is no independent clip viewer that exists independently for large frame view jkl and in and out point/mark setting, FCP as a serious tool is in weird and serious jeopardy. And the point about apple is - they may well not care a whit: they're off skating for the five year societal puck.

it may run like a flaming horse into online media and the great new open fields - but as someone pointed out - an apple event is like the federal reserve press conference, what they don't say is as important as what they do say - and this presentation featured only the filmstrip, there was no dedicated clip viewer, there was no way to set in and out points prior to stamping to the timeline, and the omission of all these basic actions from the headline event has to mean something? Apple have to have known these points would be scarifying. You could (nightmarishly) argue that they are bending the entire notion of editing as currently understood (and painfully realised) to appeal to casual new entrants from the consumer software they currently provide.

Return to posts index

Roland Manuel
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:34:51 am

[Aindreas O Gallchoir] "brass tacks - if the filmstrip is the new viewer area, and there is no independent clip viewer that exists independently for large frame view jkl and in and out point/mark setting, FCP as a serious tool is in weird and serious jeopardy"

I didn't see any Plugins on the demo, I can only assume they are not supported anymore.

Seriously I can't see them spending this amount of time and resources only to remove one of the most vital sections. They must have consulted with one or two actual editors at some point and can you see any of them saying "Yeah Steve, you must be a genius, we've never used it anyway". In FCP7 you can shut the clip viewer down if you don't need it for say ... more screen real estate for demonstration of timeline and final screen only!

We can still blame this on Apple though, for not releasing enough information for us, so we have to get a little neurotic about what we have got. Though now I look a little closer, was that a spelling mistake I can see on the GUI, if I drag it into FCP and use a little Sharpening plugin I reckon I can reduce the youtube film grain a little!

:¬) I smile just incase someone takes me too seriously.

Roland

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:04:51 am

[Roland Manuel] "I can only assume"

Always a mistake to assume anything from a beta demo.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:23:17 am

Ha! Yes Roland - quite - the demo film *is* the new zabruder reel...

Return to posts index

Gabe Thorburn
on Apr 15, 2011 at 1:55:28 am

After two days I feel much better about FCP X after learning that there is in-fact a traditional viewer / canvas. And also I heard that Apple will have a way to work in a traditional FCP timeline. I don't have official sources for this, but it makes sense.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:13:23 am

That's good. Seems like they should have mentioned that.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 15, 2011 at 2:58:36 am

Return to posts index

Gabe Thorburn
on Apr 15, 2011 at 3:52:26 am

I was thinking the same thing. If you think of the sneak peak as a presentation of new features only and not an official release presentation then it all makes sense. I don't think they realized how much their presentation would freak people out.

Also, as Larry Jordan pointed out, the purpose of this presentation was to get feedback and to see if we like it or hate it. He said the build of the software he saw at a private meeting in Cupertino two months ago was the same. I'm sure the feedback given in that meeting two months ago was that the traditional way of editing with a viewer/ canvas and with the traditional timeline is important to many users.

We'll see how it looks like when it's released.

Return to posts index

Simon Hustings
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:48:23 am

Thanks for the heads up David!

It certainly looks like a big step forward.. but as ever, it'll be hard to tell until we actually get to drive it ourselves. The magnetic timeline looks interesting as do the timing controls and dynamic waveforms. I've always been a little wary of 1.0 releases though so I think I'm going to stick with cautious optimism for now! (and set aside a mac for testing purposes!)
I will be interested to see how FCP X handles the system architecture. Will it still be hard drive based or will it be project based? The 'Final Cut Pro Documents' folder works well for tape based media, but there was a definite slant in this presentation towards tapless media, which as we all know, never makes it into the Capture Scratch folder. I wonder if FCPX will allow for a more dynamic project based folder/scratch structure where all media from any source will end up in the same location? (Or whatever the user desires)

I also hope Apple are in cahoots with Lynda.com or Larry Jordan etc for the roll out as it would be extremely useful to have access to some decent video tutorials to help us through the early transitional period.

"Is it me or do I spend half my life watching little grey bars turn into little blue bars??"

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 15, 2011 at 7:54:31 am

[Simon Hustings] "I also hope Apple are in cahoots with Lynda.com or Larry Jordan"

Don't know about "cahoots" but its clear that Larry Jordan is a favorite son at the moment, so you should be fine for all your tutorial needs when the time comes.

Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Richard Cardonna
on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:02:24 pm

For the first time I feel compelled to jump ship and dive into apple sphere. I have worked with edit* Avid, Premier, cinegy.. (all great apps).

After seeing the videos of the presentation I got the drift of why so much insecurity on the new app. Inmop its all about change and fear of something new. It looks much more complicated than doing it the current way.

I personally like it and look forward to purchasing it, I would probably need to watch the tutorial about a thousand times but I am sure that I will get it and then breeze through my projects.

RCM

Return to posts index

VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]