FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X Time Savers

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
FCP X Time Savers
on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:03:30 pm

Greetings everyone!

One of the great things about FCP X and Motion is the ability to publish a custom transition, effect, or generator. Some of these I like to call "essentials" as they can save time, or otherwise make for a better workflow.

One of these essentials would be a fade in / out effect. Very simple to do and takes under a minute. Just select effect from the welcome screen, duration and all those initial settings can be safely ignored, you will then see a group and a layer named "effect source", which is nothing more then a drop zone. On the group level the fade in / out behavior was applied. From there, the only parameters needing to be published are the fade in and fade out parameters. Right after that, just simply publish out the effect.

Apply the effect to a clip in the timeline and you can fade up and down from any opacity you choose, all without keyframes.

Would love to hear from others on what they find to be useful time savers. Have a great day everyone!

P.S. Will be working on a texture overlay effect this week.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: FCP X Time Savers
on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:13:27 pm

Publishing the strobe effect. I did that a long time ago. Just an effect we had in 7 that was lost in X.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:37:34 pm

This is why I would also consider Motion as an essential and as a path of opportunity. Sure, a few things are missing in FCP X but being able to create something from scratch in Motion makes up for that. On occasion, there really is no need to buy plug-ins, guess that makes it a money saver as well. To me Motion feels like a solid investment, zero risk and excellent returns.

I see lemons in life as lemonade or a 4 door gas guzzling clunker that could fall apart on me at any moment. I prefer lemonade.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:58:34 pm

OT, but I've never felt the need for fade in/out in X. Don't we have that covered by just pressing cmd+T? How are you using it?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:23:25 pm

I occasionally use soft light overlays from Rampant Design Tools either as a transition or to add some flare to a clip. I often prefer the light leak to fade in at the beginning and out at the end, sometimes to an opacity of between 40% and 60% based on the look.

I could possibly use Command T as you described but having a pop-up menu with a selected duration kind of saves on mouse clicks. You do, however, have a valid point. Another aspect would be having to select the transition on either side then click Control D to change the duration. With the effect added to the clip, just head over to the inspector and choose the duration from the rig published from Motion. In the event that I decide not to do the fade on either side, just simply turn off the effect. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:32:07 pm

One bummer with all these great modifying and publishing is that there isn't any report, aside from Intelligent Assistance's Producer's Best Friend, listing what effects are needed and/or used in a project. So swapping projects and consolidating projects is a bit of a pain. For example if you create templates in motion and use them in the timeline, and then complete a project and consolidate it with all it's used media, these templates don't get consolidated. They'd be completely missing on another's machine. They should be stored within the project or in a user selectable folder outside of the user>movies folder. As I've suggested before this should be a line item in the Library Media inspector. Right there with renders and proxies and media, etc. Should be a location for Motion Projects. The minute you put a custom effect or template in your sequence, it should be copied (aliased) to this place. Then during consolidation it would be treated like any other media.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:53:14 pm

[Bret Williams] "One bummer with all these great modifying and publishing is that there isn't any report, "

Spherico makes a few donation ware tools to help out with both listing and moving effects/templates.

http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:56:02 pm

These look great! I'm archiving a project right now and will give them a look.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:57:14 pm

I like how you have turned in to a super hero, by the way.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:00:24 pm

My son was Darth Vader for Halloween so I figured I should be Lord Sidious/Palpatine. In person you can see the wrinkles are coming in nicely.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:12:00 pm

[Bret Williams] "so I figured I should be Lord Sidious/Palpatine."

Ah! I thought maybe David Dunne:

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:18:21 pm

Ahhhh. Remember when Shamalan made good movies?

I always thought your avatar looked a little like...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:27:02 pm

[Bret Williams] "Ahhhh. Remember when Shamalan made good movies?"

I do not mind Mr Night's movies. I think they are sometimes too weird for people. Of course, After Earth doesn't count.

[Bret Williams] "I always thought your avatar looked a little like..."

Ha! I wish my dear ole pooch could host comedy bits. I keep asking him if he'd like to edit for me, but he just looks up, and wonders if there's more food around.

The avatar doesn't do him much justice, he looks like this:

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:39:45 am

Those ears man! What kind of a pup? Pit? Boxer? Mutant?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:50:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "Those ears man! What kind of a pup? Pit? Boxer? Mutant?"

He's a pit mutant with silly ears.

We got him from the pound, so we don't know his early history.

It looked someone had his ears taped up (like a doberman) but they were never cropped.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:08:33 pm

Nice. I had a pit mutant that was just found walking around by someone. She was named Sprocket and looked like the little rascals pit.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 7, 2014 at 12:25:04 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Nov 7, 2014 at 3:35:53 am

[Bret Williams] "and looked like the little rascals pit."

Nice one!

Funny enough, I mention that fact often (Petey was a pit), and it's a great icebreaker for people who are unnecessarily scared of pit mutants.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 8, 2014 at 9:25:36 pm

Bad tempered bully breeds are the result of human stupidity. Period.

I did a video for PetSmart years ago about the ugly realities of inner city dogfighting. These dogs are typically MADE. Not born. Period.

One comment I heard that stuck with me was: "You take the nicest dog in the world, chain him in the backyard and spend a week tossing hand grenades back there - and you'll wind up with a very different dog."

The people who breed to fight? It's THEIR insanity. Not the dogs.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:12:20 pm

Would be an interesting poker match against him. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:45:01 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 5, 2014 at 4:46:16 pm

And for the likely large group of non-X editors who lurk here to learn and who don't have any real "hands on" experience with X,...

While it's true that there's no true round-tripping between X and it's the $49 add on Motion 5 - there is quite a bit of linkage between them. In X if you option click on any of the transitions, you discover that they're really just published Motion templates, and they'll open into the Motion app for tweeting or revision.

From Motion, you can revise them at will, then re-"publish" existing (or newly created) motion files - so that they show up inside X via the Titles or Transitions browser.

A nice aspect of this is that whoever created the Motion file can enable or disable access to individual file attributes in a way that allows, for example, a Title designer to lock-off aspects of an overall design - perhaps to conform to a corporate stylebook - yet sill allow the editor access to changing other aspects such as text content or graphic element colors.

I think a lot of current X users needlessly pass by Motion work, but it's a pretty amazing program who's price totally belies it's capabilities.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:13:42 pm

[Bill Davis] "While it's true that there's no true round-tripping between X and it's the $49 add on Motion 5 - there is quite a bit of linkage between them. In X if you option click on any of the transitions, you discover that they're really just published Motion templates, and they'll open into the Motion app for tweeting or revision."

I think there are a few transitions that will not open up in Motion but most will. Cannot recall at the moment which ones they are.

[Bill Davis] "From Motion, you can revise them at will, then re-"publish" existing (or newly created) motion files - so that they show up inside X via the Titles or Transitions browser.

A nice aspect of this is that whoever created the Motion file can enable or disable access to individual file attributes in a way that allows, for example, a Title designer to lock-off aspects of an overall design - perhaps to conform to a corporate stylebook - yet sill allow the editor access to changing other aspects such as text content or graphic element colors."

Completely agree here and the ones I publish were designed to save time and prevent from constantly fiddling with settings. I just publish a few parameters and only ones that are necessary, otherwise minutes of twiddling turn into hours. :-)

[Bill Davis] "I think a lot of current X users needlessly pass by Motion work, but it's a pretty amazing program who's price totally belies it's capabilities."

I love to think of Motion as an investment and not another "purchase" for this reason. It offers so much for such a small amount of money.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 5, 2014 at 5:56:57 pm

[David Mathis] "I think there are a few transitions that will not open up in Motion but most will. Cannot recall at the moment which ones they are."

Most the ones that operate in 3D space (like Swap and Mosaic), nearly the entire Wipes category, and the basic ones like Dissolve and Fade to Color. That isn't to say, some of those can't be recreated in Motion and published, but there are certainly some that were hard coded into FCPX.

As far as Motion templates go, there are a few that I go back to often.

The adjustment layer is a really good, useful effect. Published as a title, it sits atop of your project as a connected clip allowing you to apply color effects and looks to your edit without having to do it to each clip individually. Can also be used to mask off your frame.

Speaking of masking, I built my own personal mask that conforms to various Academy specs like 1,85, 2.33, etc. to mimic certain frame resolutions.

Also, until recently, FCPX didn't have a blur effect so I built one. Mine's still better since you can change shapes between oval (for faces) and rectangle (for objects like license plates and signs. It's also adjustable as a blur or mosaic depending on which you prefer, has a "guide" mode that allows you to see the edge of the effect when you have things like feathering applied, and it has on screen controls for animating the mask.

As far as straight time savers in FCPX, most people are unaware that you can save color corrections as a "look" that you can apply later to other clips as or in other projects.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 5, 2014 at 6:20:10 pm

[Andy Neil] "As far as straight time savers in FCPX, most people are unaware that you can save color corrections as a "look" that you can apply later to other clips as or in other projects."

Something that I completely forgot about. For those that have LUT Utility and Resolve, you can save looks from Resolve and send them over to FCP X. Pretty straightforward workflow. What would be nice to see is custom built effects from Motion translate over to Resolve as well.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their thoughts and perspective here. This is why the COW is awesome! Feedback is always appreciated whether positive or constructive criticism.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 5, 2014 at 9:20:22 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 5, 2014 at 10:12:21 pm

[Andy Neil] "Speaking of masking, I built my own personal mask that conforms to various Academy specs like 1,85, 2.33, etc. to mimic certain frame resolutions."

I'm sure yours is great, Andy, but the amazing Alex Gollner released the mother of all matte plug-ins:

http://blog.alex4d.com/2011/07/22/fcpx-widescreen-matte/

Very nice!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 12:40:41 am

[Bret Williams] "Publishing the strobe effect."

Funny you mention the Strobe effect, I've been meaning to ask this question for a few weeks now:

I see on cable news where they use a few frame transition between talking head quotes which is enough to show that a cut has been made between two different thoughts, but not long enough to cut off any audio between the two shots in an awkward way. I've seen this done with the Strobe or Flash transition, but my FCPX version strobes the whole frame whereas on the news, the strobe is merely on the subject and the background remains the same.

1. Can this transition be modified in Motion to make it like the cable news version?

2. What other transitions are typically used for this kind of very quick cut that leaves the audio intact and is not too visually jarring?

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 6, 2014 at 12:59:58 am

[Dave Gage] "whereas on the news, the strobe is merely on the subject and the background remains the same. "

Maybe because the BG is keyed in, so there are 2 sources. Strobe the talent, not the key.?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:25:04 am

The strobe effect I'm talking about would better be named stutter. When applied to footage it makes it appear that it was shot at a lower frame rate and therefore a more stuttered look. Quick way to give smooth video a more artsy film cadence look or even a more stuttered, almost like it was shot as individual photos, look.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:28:39 am

[Charlie Austin] "Maybe because the BG is keyed in, so there are 2 sources."

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it very well. These are clips of speeches of talking heads like Pres Obama that get cut at end of sentences or even mid-sentence. There is only one source, the original clip. It's a very quick flash that happens between words, not the whole screen, just the subject.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 4:41:42 am

I've never seen that. I see blooms and flashes all the time. Never seen it not affect the background. You'd have to mask off the talent and I don't see that happening.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:43:44 am
Last Edited By Dave Gage on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:48:04 am

[Bret Williams] "
I've never seen that. I see blooms and flashes all the time. Never seen it not affect the background."

I'll see if I can hunt down an example. It's clearly a very simple transition, possibly one that just blooms or flashes the center of the frame.

If I don't get this particular type transition happening, what would work for a quick non-intrusive transition between sentences? I've tried tons of things the last couple of years and have not been very happy with anything. Most transitions for this purpose are either much too much or too little which is why I like the quick flash look.

(By the way, your hood was brought up earlier. My first thought was the Green Arrow hood look a la the new CW "Arrow" show.)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:46:05 am

Sounds like you're talking more about a lens flare with a blend mode.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 7:53:33 am
Last Edited By Dave Gage on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:02:31 am

[Bret Williams] "Sounds like you're talking more about a lens flare with a blend mode."

I don't think so. Here's the best I could find in about a 20 minute search-
http://video.foxnews.com/v/3877306671001/tahmooressi-i-gladly-took-prison-b...

It's at about 11 seconds in. It's not the best example (and a bit of a strange clip), but the first I could find. I did a freeze-frame and then screenshot and it appears that the "flash" is only affecting the highlights of the frame.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Neil McClure
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:54:05 am

Here in PAL land one of the annoying issues with the inbuilt fcpx templates is that they are all in NTSC frame rates i.e. 29.97 fps. Often thats not an issue, just speeds up the transition by a couple of frames. But sometimes it does matter. When I have adapted the effects I've had to convert them to ,motn files, alter them with mFPSconverter, change them back to .moti files etc etc...pain in the butt. Of course apple could care less...

FCPx I Motion 5 I Adobe CS5 I XDCAM EX1 I http://www.mcmm.com.au

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:22:54 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 6, 2014 at 11:23:52 am

[Dave Gage] "It's at about 11 seconds in."

Yes, that's a simple BLOOM transition. Available by default in FCP.

If, as in that case, there is a lot of darker areas in the image, it will APPEAR to only apply to part of the picture, but it obviously is being applied to the entire frame. Only the effect, as you noted yourself, is most prominent in the lighter ares, to which e.g. his face belongs.

- RK

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:53:52 pm

so, can I soften the edges on a crop in FCPX yet? ;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:55:42 pm

Sure. You always could. If you built it yourself in Motion.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 6, 2014 at 2:01:43 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Nov 6, 2014 at 2:02:03 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "so, can I soften the edges on a crop in FCPX yet? ;-)"

Here's a popular free effect that I made a while back that does some useful cropping stuff including soft edges and a lot more:

Download link:

http://tokyo-uk.com/fcpxeffects/freedownloads/TKY_SuperCrop.zip

Or you could make it yourself, as Robin says.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 6, 2014 at 2:40:25 pm

That's perfect, Simon. Thank you.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:14:59 pm

Thanks, really nice effect. Been trying to figure out how to feather each side in a different amount. Sure it is something super simple that I am overlooking.

One thing I have been trying to do is publish a levels effect from Motion into FCP X. Was able to build sliders for the lift, gamma and gain for each color channel, though it took a few minutes setting up rigs. Now if I could only figure how to add saturation for the lift, gamma and gain controls. Sometimes that color box feels kind of awkward to me.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Nov 6, 2014 at 5:35:26 pm

[David Mathis] "Been trying to figure out how to feather each side in a different amount. Sure it is something super simple that I am overlooking.
"

You just have to think outside the box a little. You can do it with 4 individual masks or shapes that represent the sides of the crop. Since each "side" is it's own mask or shape, it can have it's own feather amount.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:04:21 pm

Geez AE only got variable feathering a little over a year ago. And premiere didn't have the ability to feather the crop tool until CS6. Not sure what their excuse was. X has always had an effect called crop and feather ( or is it mask and feather?). It's just not the obvious crop tool effect. Should be able to get creative.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:33:01 pm

[Bret Williams] "Not sure what their excuse was. X has always had an effect called crop and feather ( or is it mask and feather?). It's just not the obvious crop tool effect. Should be able to get creative."

X has a tool called Crop and Feather but you can only feather the whole crop uniformly - that's why my TKY SuperCrop effect (above) is so superior to Apple's offering. Not to mention that you can crop using onscreen controls for each edge, etc. which is simply not catered for at all by Apple.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:45:41 pm

I'm confident it kicks Apple's tools a... Just was pointing out that X wasn't as completely useless as the OP alleged.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:50:56 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "which is simply not catered for at all by Apple"

Seems a bit of a contradiction in terms, seeing that you used an Apple tool to remedy the problem, no? :D

I'd say that's what Motion is for. For giving you the tool to fill any gaps you might have. Hooray for Apple. ;)

Not sure what you could do if you had similar issues with PPro or Avid if not some 3rd party had a solution ready and waiting... my guess: nothing.

- RK

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:02:39 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Seems a bit of a contradiction in terms, seeing that you used an Apple tool to remedy the problem, no? :D"

Calm down for just one moment, would you, Robin?

I'm a massive fan of Motion as you may just be able to gather from my YouTube channel of free tutorials for it.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:05:19 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:06:23 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Calm down"

Huh??

I clearly not the one in need of that, thanks. :-D

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:52:32 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "that's why my TKY SuperCrop effect (above) is so superior to Apple's offering. Not to mention that you can crop using onscreen controls for each edge, etc. which is simply not catered for at all by Apple."

Having played with it for a bit now, I agree. Far superior. Thanks again.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:22:10 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Having played with it for a bit now, I agree. Far superior. Thanks again."

Thanks, Scott.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:24:07 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Yes, that's a simple BLOOM transition. Available by default in FCP."

Okay, I see it now. I incorrectly thought this was a "flash" as it looks like a camera flash to me.

I don't like the way it looks by default in FCPX and there are no controls for it in the Inspector. I own, but have never used Motion. Do you know if there are other control parameters that could be applied to the transition in Motion? It would be nice to at least be able to control the amount of "bloom" and size and location, etc.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 6, 2014 at 8:31:09 pm

[Dave Gage] "Do you know if there are other control parameters that could be applied to the transition in Motion?"

Yepp.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Nov 6, 2014 at 9:43:15 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Yepp."

Robin,

I appreciate that, I can figure it out from here. That appears to be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]