FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adam Lisagor on FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Richards
Adam Lisagor on FCPX
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:45:30 pm

http://lonelysandwich.com/post/7033868135/fcp-the-new-class

Mind you, Adam's stock in trade is making web videos that promote things like iPhone apps or new websites and so on. He shoots DSLR. He's the guy all the broadcast cutters look down their noses at as if he isn't a professional editor, the kind of guy the angry mob here says FCPX is supposedly built for. If he doesn't represent the archetypal "new media pro user" I don't know who does.

His opinions may surprise you.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: Adam Lisagor on FCPX
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:02:06 pm

Unfortunately, it''s not "bold"...

The inclusion of features that may be too soon for the market is "bold" while keeping the old ones intact...marketing it as a replacement to FC at Superlies...er, supermeet, you know, a place for pros, not the Jetsons, getting your proxies to write up articles like "FCX doesn't leave the pros behind" et al, is completely...oh whats the word, not bold, um.. > disingenuous...

They blew it, and I hate using the term but, blew it - by epic proportions...

Thanks for posting it, but I had to disagree...

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:24:28 pm

"Bold" does not mean good (though it is all too often heaped as praise, that isn't the definition of the word). Bold is often foolhardy. Whatever you think of FCPX, the way Apple went about releasing it was certainly "bold, careless and ham-fisted".

I posted the article because it read to me like even the guys FCPX is supposedly perfect for think this was badly handled.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:58:58 pm

yes I read it that way too. he makes an almost weirdly interesting projection about a future incarnation of the FCPX brain existing also at the content consumption end as well - assembling content elements on the fly - (maybe speciously) references the motion publishing as a proto example of the video publishing mechanism he's on about? that's sort of crazy and interesting. And well, he's pretty noticeably critical of apple overall, both in terms of execution, timing (too early with a completely unfinished product) And kind of ends up wondering where exactly apple's heads at lately, ala the fading Steve..
be interesting to see what gruber has to say. He seems to know one or two people at apple. I'm hoping he won't just run PR defence for them.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45:54 pm

[Andrew Richards] ""Bold" does not mean good (though it is all too often heaped as praise, that isn't the definition of the word)."

Well, I think he isn't exactly saying some of what is in there isn't bold..to me, none of it is lol

But I got what he was saying, which is why I appreciated you posting it and why I only had a slight irk at the over use of "bold" lately to describe this pile...it's not always a good thing, and he skirts that line there. I'm just way over the line, the line is so far from me it's just a dot...

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:22:39 pm

Jamie, what exactly did you disagree with? I would have thought you would have agreed with Mr. Lisagor's position that Apple is not concerned about how professionals perceive their new product.

I think the point of the article was to just trying to make sense of Apple's mysterious motivation behind FCPX's design and release.

Thanks for posting, Andrew -- this was an interesting read with a unique perspective I hadn't considered before.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:21:00 pm

who cares what Apple thinks or does? They have about 5 more years as a viable company, IMO. Jobs does not seem like he'll last much longer, and without him, they'll go down the tubes.

Return to posts index

Adam Lisagor
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:54:33 pm

I'm honored that you'd link to my post, Andy.

One correction I'm inclined to make: I haven't shot on DSLR for a number of months now. These days, it's Alexa more often than not, and RED before that. And I've begun doing work specifically for broadcast TV for some of my bigger clients. But my roots are in DSLR web videomaking, so your point is taken. Prior to the current incarnation of my career, I was editing commercials for broadcast using Final Cut Pro. So I come to this debate from a little bit more of a pro perspective than you may have thought.

Again, I really do appreciate your reading and then sharing my post. I remain cautiously optimistic.

And the guy at the end of the thread who says Apple has five more years left in business: you're amazing. Can I hire you as a consultant?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 30, 2011 at 12:02:12 am

Adam,

I apologize for mischaracterizing your career. I only know your work from the excellent web spots you've done and Put This On. You're most gracious. I too am cautiously optimistic.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:09:03 am

Heeeeeeeeeere's Adam!

http://5by5.tv/talkshow/49

:-)

---