FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wow, Honda, wow. Really cool use of X.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Wow, Honda, wow. Really cool use of X.
on Oct 30, 2014 at 5:14:30 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Oct 30, 2014 at 5:21:38 pm

Thomas Grove Carter who apparently edited this for Honda on X just posted it in another group.

Talk about adapting editing to the new web delivery realities brilliantly.

Here's a quote.
"Fcpx was a dream to cut this with. Such a fantastic tool which benefited me in so many ways I hadn't anticipated. Detailed write up coming soon."

Can't wait to see his workflow.

http://www.hondatheotherside.com

And here I thought the R key was just for Range...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Wow, Honda, wow. Really cool use of X.
on Oct 30, 2014 at 10:19:45 pm

Very cool. :-) Be interesting to read the write up... where's he posting?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 30, 2014 at 10:40:55 pm

Right now back channel, Charlie. But I suspect that since he's London based, his follow up may show up initially on Peter Wiggins site. I've got a ton of questions about how the web team made sure the web switch could be so fast and flawless - I'll follow up if and when more is posted. I felt it was OK to point it out for discussion here since the actual video is public and up on YouTube.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Oct 31, 2014 at 12:10:24 pm

I too am interested in hearing how this was encoded with very fast switch between video streams for YouTube.

Michael

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Nov 1, 2014 at 3:25:01 am

Brilliant!

Cut on X? Bonus.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Nov 1, 2014 at 12:11:39 pm

If the editor does post a detailed write-up, please post that link here. Thanks!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Nov 2, 2014 at 2:01:11 pm

The storyline looks wild as well:

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 2, 2014 at 5:36:01 pm

Very cool use of the timeline. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 2, 2014 at 9:32:12 pm

Wow again. Perfectly sensible. From cursory inspection, the audio material for the dark side story go above the primary - while the audio tracks for the light side story go down. That must have made things bunch easier to work with since there would be "adjacent" tracks for each of the two threads instead of having to visually pick corresponding audio tracks out of an all on the bottom complex stack.

Talk about intuitive.

Nice going X - and to the editor for seeing that bit of potential.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 3, 2014 at 2:44:49 am

Sounds more like something that had to be done because he couldn't dedicate tracks 1-6 to the good and tracks 7-12 to the bad.

But where are you guys seeing all this? From the link you gave Bill all I get is a very basic 20 sec commercial that cuts between night and day with the letter R. Is there something else everyone is gushing about? This could have been cut on anything. I must be missing some longer version or something?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:02:17 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:25:27 am

Bret,

Jari's post above has a small screen shot of the editors storyline. In it, you can see how the editor was able to keep the audio mix adjacent to the attendant visual track by working both above and below the storyline.

It's kinda hard to argue that it's more efficient to have to mouse down 15 tracks to target a SFX keyed to a visual above the storyline, rather than just moving to the audio one track up - which is what X allows by not constraining audio to tracks below and video to tracks above.

Nobody's saying this is the only way or that you can't get the same result in a track based system. Clearly you could.. But it's pretty obvious that X allows the editor to group audio and video in a more intuitive above and below the line arrangement for something like this two part creation. That's all.

BTW, I was chatting with Alex Gollner earlier tonight and he's doing some copy proofreading on Mr. Carters workflow breakdown article and it should be posted within 24-48 hours. I'll post a link when it goes up for those who are interested (unless someone from Europe beats me to it, which would be cool.) The point isn't who posts first, but to get the word out for those who want to read about how this was done. It's been really fun learning about this so far.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:18:16 am

[Bret Williams] "Sounds more like something that had to be done because he couldn't dedicate tracks 1-6 to the good and tracks 7-12 to the bad. "

Yes. Of course. :-/

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 3, 2014 at 4:51:11 am

[Bret Williams] "But where are you guys seeing all this? From the link you gave Bill all I get is a very basic 20 sec commercial that cuts between night and day with the letter R. Is there something else everyone is gushing about? This could have been cut on anything. I must be missing some longer version or something?"

Watch on a desktop, not mobile.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Nov 2, 2014 at 11:54:32 am

That is indeed a really well done commercial. The parallel story line and live switching provides an interesting element.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 2, 2014 at 1:04:30 pm

No matter what NLE was used, this is an awesome ad. What a feat of production.

I love the sound design. Both music tracks are decidedly different and fit each side, but they also work well together.

Plus, the costumes and characters are all intriguing.

I've watched this like 30 times since Bill posted it, and it's different every time. This is a lot of fun.

I now want to go to Croatia, drive a Honda, and work undercover.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 2, 2014 at 7:28:19 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "No matter what NLE was used, this is an awesome ad. What a feat of production. "

Agreed! Very cool concept, and super execution. I'd love to know about the streaming.

Also, I'd like to know about the car. Looks inside and out like a CRZ with a back seat. I'd love one of those. My only occasional regret with my CRZ are the two seats.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:13:16 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:15:13 am

Chris,

Bad news. The red hero concept car (and the crushed car on the transport passing!) are 3d wireframe effects replacement shots and don't really exist. At least according to my source.

I remember a Harpers Magazine headline from maybe 30 years ago that read "the end of photography as proof of anything." clearly with CGI that's true today of every pixel in any medium we'll ever see for the rest of our lives.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:23:51 am

But its a concept car, right? So they might build it. Its basically an extended CRZ. I'm pretty sure the engine sounds are CRZ. Night is Sport Mode. Day is regular.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 3, 2014 at 6:29:31 am

I think it was described as a concept car. So likely. They would have has to have pretty exacting 3d CAD files to comp that. So I suspect you are right. Since you are a fan, I sure hope it makes it to market for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]