David Mathis
Hit Film 3, looks interesting
on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:47:09 am

http://hitfilm.com/blog/announcing-hitfilm-3-pro/

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Hit Film 3, looks interesting
on Oct 28, 2014 at 9:51:24 am

Still wondering who is actually using this, where and for what. Would love to hear why, too.

- RK

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:54:20 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Still wondering who is actually using this, where and for what. Would love to hear why, too."
If you require special effects with 3D objects placed into the scene, this is a nice piece of software to do that. Some of the new features like camera projection, particles and 3D objects are already available as plug-ins for FCP X from Pixel Film Studios and Boris FX so it becomes less interesting when you can achieve the same result without leaving FCP X.

I have HitFilm 2 Ultimate (I bought in during the kickstarter project) and it's stand-alone and separate so I don't really use it much. If they made HitFilm 3 an FCP X plug-in (which it sound like they might be doing), that would make it more interesting. Of course if you have no need to add 3D objects and such into your videos then there is no need for you to use software like this.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 11:08:19 am

[John Rofrano] "if you have no need to add 3D objects and such into your videos"

I actually do every so often. In which case I use mObject. It would seem to me that one could put together more or less the same functionality, only for much less. Will be interested to see if this actually gains any mentionable traction. Would admittedly be very surprised if it did, considering the competition. And if it doesn't in fact open up, then I see little chance, yes.

- RK

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:29:35 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I actually do every so often. In which case I use mObject. It would seem to me that one could put together more or less the same functionality, only for much less."
Thanks for the pointer to mObject. I was just looking to purchase FCPX3D MODEL from Pixel Film Studios because they are having a 25% off sale. It seems to be a lot cheaper than mObject but I'm going check out mObject as well. Thanks! :)

~jr

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:55:56 pm

[John Rofrano] "I was just looking to purchase FCPX3D MODEL from Pixel Film Studios"

First off, there is no comparison between the two. PFS's 3D plugin is not only exponentially more limited than mObject, it's also exponentially slower and doesn't support things such as drop zones (which are absolutely brilliant in mObject), lights in Motion, shadows and more and their renderer is definitely in a completely different league also.

Secondly, PFS was caught red-handed plagiarising MotionVFX's plugins in the most painfully blatant way possible a while back. And if you go through their offerings you'll notice that a large amount of their plugins came out just days or weeks of pretty much the exact same (but again much better) plugin that MotionVFX had released previously. Hmmmm...

So, for me, there's no way they're ever making a dime off of me. And I find their "all prices always slashed" nonsense rather lame, aside from the above. I feel taken for an idiot in more ways than one.

But to each their own of course, but with mObject you're most definitely getting every cent worth and more.

- RK

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Oct 31, 2014 at 2:21:25 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Secondly, PFS was caught red-handed plagiarising MotionVFX's plugins in the most painfully blatant way possible a while back."
Wow, I didn't realize that had happened. Doesn't give me a good feeing about Pixel Film Studio's plug-ins anymore. Thanks for the heads-up!

~jr

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2014 at 5:12:53 pm

I remember the great dust particle swindle: MotionVFX released some HD files of dust particles under different conditions, and were able to demonstrate that the new competitor's product that went online shortly afterwards had just copied and scaled/repositioned Motion VFX's files, by showing how the particles were absolutely identical in several scenes. There's no way in natural physics that you could get the exact same patters of random dust particles by independent shoots. The competitor threw one of their employees/contractors under the bus and pulled the product, but it was a huge scandal for weeks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:34:37 am

[Mark Suszko] "The competitor threw one of their employees/contractors under the bus and pulled the product, but it was a huge scandal for weeks."
I guess the question is who do you believe? It is plausible that an employee didn't know or perhaps did know and was cutting corners to get a product out the door and it wasn't the intent of Pixel Film Studios as a company to infringe on MotionVFX's work. It's also plausible that they did and just got caught.

I'm a software developer myself and I have lead software development teams, and I remember several occasions where the software did not do what I thought it was doing due to an employee not following what they were asked. On the other hand, I have had my work copied by others and sold cheaper and it's no fun.

I was introduced to Pixel Films Studio from their iOS app. Then I bought a few of their plug-ins to do Projection, Environments, and a Toolkit and I have found them to be good for the price. I paid a lot more for a projection tool for After Effects and I was so happy to find one for Motion. I don't like their sales tactics that everything is always on sale and I would hate to give business to a company that steals intellectual property, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since they pulled the product and tried to make things right.

~jr

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:12:33 pm

Just add to Robin's comments below- Pixel Film Studio's plugins are ALWAYS being marked off as "ON SALE". They've never been offered at the "non-discounted" price.

mObject is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:00:12 pm

motionVFX's stuff is just slick. Makes you realize that Motion is every bit as capable as AE. Especially when paired with Motionvfx's own plugins!

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:13:07 pm

[Bret Williams] "motionVFX's stuff is just slick. Makes you realize that Motion is every bit as capable as AE. Especially when paired with Motionvfx's own plugins!"

Agree to disagree! I think AE still does quite a few things that Motion is incapable of, or doesn't do well. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:16:54 pm

[Bret Williams] "Makes you realize that Motion is every bit as capable as AE. "

I'd agree that Ae and Motion are both capable -- but not necessarily at the same things.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:31:58 pm

Good point. And you're probably correct. But as for making cool motion graphics like you see on all the template houses, they're pretty on par. And of course the rigging / publishing engine is just way beyond AE. But I'm sure that's where AE is headed on it's next big yearly release in 2015.

I'm still pretty new to Motion, but I keep discovering things I thought AE was better at but then Motion surprises me.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:07:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "Good point. And you're probably correct. But as for making cool motion graphics like you see on all the template houses, they're pretty on par. And of course the rigging / publishing engine is just way beyond AE."

One of the main reasons I use Motion is to create a title sequence, transition or what I like to refer as "essentials". One example is building a fade in / out effect to avoid keyframes with a pop-up widget (whatever it is called) followed by publishing the rig and effect. Did one for a 30 FPS and another for 24 FPS, very easy. Took about a minute or two to complete. Motion is just super duper awesome!

Return to posts index

Julian Smith
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:46:33 pm

The plug-ins that originally in the HitFilm Plugins released earlier this year are being included in HFP3.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:37:41 pm

Excellent. I assume that the new version will install plug-ins in to FCP X but not sure. If so, looks like a very good value.

Return to posts index

Julian Smith
on Oct 28, 2014 at 11:49:37 pm

From what I read from the small amount of info, the plug-ins can be used in FCPX

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 31, 2014 at 11:56:34 am

[Bret Williams] "Makes you realize that Motion is every bit as capable as AE."

I wouldn't exactly go that far. Neither replaces the other for certain tasks. But I'm also pretty sure that at least 80% of the people are only using AE merely because they're told that's the thing to be using (and there are far more resources for learning AE out there unfortunately) and are doing things that could easily be done far more efficiently in Motion. The things that Motion is not or less good at are near exclusively in the very high-end areas that only the least of people need. So at least up to a certain point that's surely true. Especially in the context of an NLE, where you'll be doing more titling and maybe occasional motion graphics and smaller effects. Things that Motion does even better and easier than AE in some respects.

But I'd say in general AE is definitely best for PPro users and Motion for FCP X users in terms of integration either way.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 31, 2014 at 12:05:10 pm

Well said.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]