FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX vs PPro CC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
martin dugard
FCPX vs PPro CC
on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:12:55 pm

Hello,

There has been a long thread here in July 2013 about FCPX vs PPro.
As an artist, I need a NLE software to edit my videos and I used to use misty PPro (CS5 and 6) and a bit of FC7. When PCPX was launched, many moved to PPro (or Avid). I am right know in the process of deciding which software I'm going to invest in - hence use for at least the 5 next years. As such, I'd love to her your point of view on the FCPX vs PPro CC debate. Since the original thread, FCPX has improved greatly ... so what is the status now and your advice?
- is FCPX now stable, strong and advisable?
- did the production industry really moved away from FCP towards PP - or did they ,ove back to FCP? Is the production world still mainly FCP?
- are there any reasons why I should go PPro rather than FCP? (e.g. the fact that Apple's commitment may be weaker than Adobe - see Aperture, Apple other Pro software bing trashed°

Ideally I m inclined to go for FCPX but I'd love your point of view

Thank you very much for your help

MdG

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
Re: FCPX vs PPro CC
on Oct 27, 2014 at 7:33:39 pm

We come from FCP7 and have found Premiere to be the perfect replacement. And wirh the latest integration with Speedgrade, it feels like what FCP and Color should have been.

Have tried FCPX but it ****ed up a project because of re-link issues. Will not trust it on a real job, but it does offer an intuitive approach to editing. But I do prefer tracks. Also we work on the same projects from different suites, and Apple makes this too complicated.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 27, 2014 at 8:00:19 pm

[martin dugard] "- is FCPX now stable, strong and advisable?"

It is very stable, very few crashes on my system. One thing is you don't have to worry about saving your work every few minutes, each time you quit out of the application and go back in, everything is as you left it at the time the quit was made. I believe you can have other versions by doing something called as project snap shot (not sure of the correct term here).

It is strong in many ways but there are two things that I would like to see improved -- ability to key frame color correction and bring back "Send To Motion" that was available in earlier versions. If you need more powerful color correction then you might want to consider Resolve as part of the tool set. Depending on what your needs are, you can go with the full (paid) version, or the Lite version which is free. I think most can get by with the Lite version. Beyond that, either version will allow you take a camera raw file and transcode to something like ProRes to edit in FCP X then ship back when time to color grade. Process is very easy.

I also recommend adding Motion in the mix. You can build your own transitions, generators, effects or titles then publish those out for use in FCP X later on. Most of this stuff can be done within a couple of minutes or so, depending on the complexity.

[martin dugard] "- did the production industry really moved away from FCP towards PP - or did they ,ove back to FCP? Is the production world still mainly FCP?"

Some have moved on to Premiere Pro others to Avid for a wide variety of reasons. The integration between Premiere Pro and After Effects is very solid. I think part of the decision making is based primarily around workflow needs. Some part of the production industry is migrating to FCP X as well. I was reluctant to jump on the FCP X bandwagon a few years ago but the software is becoming very useful now. One of the main reasons I jumped on board is because I feel the software is faster, more fluid and fun to use, especially because it is possible to easily build a custom effect in Motion. Just my take on it.

[martin dugard] "- are there any reasons why I should go PPro rather than FCP? (e.g. the fact that Apple's commitment may be weaker than Adobe - see Aperture, Apple other Pro software bing trashed°"

None that I can really think of. There is still the stigma that FCP X is still a "toy" and not meant for professional use, though on a much smaller basis since the initial release which led to all sorts of emotions.

At some point every editing software has gone through a tough phase of one kind or another. I remember when Premiere was considered a toy, it has improved over the years. Avid has fallen out of favor for various reasons, gained some market share back.

I hope this helps and look forward to what others have to say.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Blackmagic Cinema Camera | FCP X | Motion 5 | Compressor 4 | Resolve 11

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:09:45 pm

Both are excellent professional NLEs. There is no "Premiere vs FCP X" just like there is no Avid vs Premiere and so on. We have completely switched to FCP X from FCP7 (16 seats in Brussels and 10 seats in Paris) without any regrets. FCP X is perfectly stable and since 10.1 it works very well in collaborative workflows. As it is now all the major NLEs are viable options for any kind of work.

As a professional you seriously test the different options yourself and then you decide what works best for your particular workflow. You also should test Avid, which is still an industry standard. In the next months we will be setting up a 20-seat FCP X SAN for broadcast work in Denmark, but we will still keep the existing Avid ISIS bays for specific jobs. You might find that one NLE fits you better than another, or you might even find you want to use more than one NLE depending on the job you want to do. That's entirely up to yourself, what I say or what others say on the internet is irrelevant.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:40:37 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "As a professional you seriously test the different options yourself and then you decide what works best for your particular workflow. You also should test Avid, which is still an industry standard."

This right here is the best advice you can receive. You need to determine what works for you. If you're a freelancer, you should try to learn all three.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Oct 27, 2014 at 9:29:51 pm

I work in both. Right now I've been in Premiere exclusively for the last couple of months. I've finished projects in both, organized in both, lost projects due to corruption in both, recovered from corruption in both, crashed in both, and gotten paid using both. I miss features and short cuts from whichever one I'm not using, and I both hate tracks and find them very useful at times.

I personally strongly prefer FCPX. For me the 2 most important functions in editing are organizing footage and arranging it. FCPX is faster and more efficient at both of these tasks. I don't do a lot of animation and I use neither for serious color correction or audio work.

I primarily do documentary style. I also get a lot of multicam footage, which FCPX is a lot better at.

I would prefer premiere if I had a less powerful system, or I was going to use a lot of After Effects. I would strongly consider it for projects with lots of compositing/green screen work. Otherwise I would use FCPX, even for collaborative projects.

I don't have a good memory for complicated keyboard shortcut combos. I find I am able to use the mouse less with FCPX.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

martin dugard
on Oct 27, 2014 at 10:56:23 pm

Thank you al for your very informative answers. Just a quick thing if I have projects made inside PPro CS6, I suppose there is no way to open hem up inside FCP X... or is there a magical work around?

Thanks again

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:10:28 pm

[martin dugard] "Just a quick thing if I have projects made inside PPro CS6, I suppose there is no way to open hem up inside FCP X... or is there a magical work around?"

It might be possible to export an XML out of Premiere Pro, bring that into Resolve Lite (free version) then export an XML for Final Cut Pro X. If so, it is a very easy process.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:35:07 pm

The one thing I would caution is that with "optimized media" (however you'd like to define that), FCP X does not seem as responsive to a fast editor as does PPro on anything other than the latest iMac or MacPro "tube". It does have a tendency to get "sticky" after a couple of hours due to RAM leaks and requires multiple restarts during the course of the day to gain back responsiveness. That's less an issue with PPro and almost never an issue with Media Composer. YMMV.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:05:42 am

I'm all over a wide range of FCP X boards and this does NOT seem a universal experience across the very wide swath of X editors or projects, Oliver.

It very well be taking place inside a particular strata, a media approach, a type of specific network or inside a type of workflow, but I know lots and lots of X editors who cut on stuff with lots of content and appear not to face this. For instance, the recent features on the TED productionr trial that ended up with that team choosing X over Premier - or the similar assessment at BBC News also had no reports of X having bouts of slowdown and constant reboot requirements. I doubt those decisions would have gone the way they did if this was a constant thing.

Not saying there are no issues. NLEs always have issues. Just saying any such appear to be similar to anecdotal word we get right here on the Cow about people having workflow issues with AVID, Vegas, or any other NLE.

Right now I'm watching very closely the rollout of Yosemite across the FCP X communities, and it appears to be even more stable than Mavericks,. How will that fundamental change affect PProCC stability. Hopefully, not at all. Perhaps it will improve some things and stress others. Only time tells.

My 2cents, anyway.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:31:24 am

[Bill Davis] "
Not saying there are no issues. NLEs always have issues. Just saying any such appear to be similar to anecdotal word we get right here on the Cow about people having workflow issues with AVID, Vegas, or any other NLE.

Right now I'm watching very closely the rollout of Yosemite across the FCP X communities, and it appears to be even more stable than Mavericks,. How will that fundamental change affect PProCC stability. Hopefully, not at all. Perhaps it will improve some things and stress others. Only time tells."

My experience has been very positive running FCP X on Yosemite. It launches much faster and is much more stable. None of that cancelling background task message when exiting out, unless there was some rendering taking place.

Occasional split second beach ball upon launching Motion, but not 5 to 10 seconds of it like under Mavericks. Still the occasional unexpected quit but not very often.

Resolve seems to launch faster but real time performance still bit of a lag. Must be time for a new Mac Pro with extra beefy performance.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Blackmagic Cinema Camera | FCP X | Motion 5 | Compressor 4 | Resolve 11

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:41:03 am

[Bill Davis] "It very well be taking place inside a particular strata, a media approach, a type of specific network or inside a type of workflow, but I know lots and lots of X editors who cut on stuff with lots of content and appear not to face this. "

As I said, YMMV. If you scan through various threads here, there are plenty of folks experiencing the same issues. I happen to have hit it again this past week. 2011 12-core Mac Pro, 32GB RAM, ATI5870 card. 1,000 clips - mainly ProRes - on a SAN. About 3TB of media total for a 2min. piece.

When I'm rocking' and rollin' in the edit - slam a few clips to the timeline and back it up to play through, I expect the darn video to play. I don't expect it to freeze, stutter, etc. Usually, it takes a couple of attempts to back up the timeline and play through it. That's what X does for me on virtually every project and every machine I've used it on. Note that the same condition on the same hardware as a matter of fact, did not do this on FCP 7.

For me, X has a lot of wonderful features, but top timeline performance isn't one of them. But I'm a keyboard editor and try not to rely on the mouse to operate the software, so I have very little tolerance for this stuff. Especially after 3 years in the wild.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:37:37 am

[Bill Davis] "I'm all over a wide range of FCP X boards and this does NOT seem a universal experience across the very wide swath of X editors or projects, Oliver."

It is with me. I totally know what Oliver is talking about. From working in both Premiere and FCPX recently, I tend to use Premiere to start off new projects as it's more stable at this point.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:59:53 am

[Loren Risker] "I also get a lot of multicam footage, which FCPX is a lot better at."

Loren,

In what way(s) do you find X a lot better than PPro when it comes to multicam?

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:06:52 am

Fewer clicks/keystrokes to set up and use.

I have had excellent results in throwing a bunch of different clips, even mismatched framerates/cameras and getting a perfectly set up multicam automatically. My first editing job was logging and setting slate markers for FCP5. Never again!

I like the multicam viewer a lot better in FCPX.

I like how it edits in the timeline.

And I'm not sure how premiere handles this off the top of my head, but I like how you can make adjustments to the multicam at any time and it carries through all the edits.

Mostly, I find it's just faster to go from unsynced footage to camera switching in the timeline with fewer keystrokes. Unless it has been significantly improved in the latest CC version.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:31:55 am

[Loren Risker] "And I'm not sure how premiere handles this off the top of my head, but I like how you can make adjustments to the multicam at any time and it carries through all the edits.

Mostly, I find it's just faster to go from unsynced footage to camera switching in the timeline with fewer keystrokes. Unless it has been significantly improved in the latest CC version."

What version of PPro did you last use multicam in? I didn't use it in CS6 (PPro version 6) but in CC 2013 and CC 2014 making a multicam is dead simple. Highlight all the clips you need, right click, select Make Multicam, pick your settings (sync by TC, Audio, etc.,) and away you go. I'll do 200-300 pieces of media at a time (3 camera shoot plus second system sound) and PPro will sync up a 5-6 hour shoot day in 15 minutes or so. I also mix and match various frame rates and frame without a problem.

Multicam in PPro is a nested sequence so you can make adjustments to it at any time and those adjustments will carry through all the edits too.

I haven't used X but it sounds like PPro and X handle multicam in a very similar fashion. Much quicker and user friendly than creating Multicam in FCP Legacy and Avid.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 27, 2014 at 11:35:10 pm

This is now becoming a thing, isn't it.

There definitely used to be quite a few who would try X for a while - not at all fully adapt to it - and leave it for Premier, AVID or back to stick with FCP Legacy. But it surprises me how many do that, and then look back at the thing they left, and start feeling real regret and actually start missing what's unique about X.

This group has seen that play out more than a few times.

Not all, of course - but that seductive idea of settling down with a better version of their first real NLE romance -one that kinda sorta stills feels like their long desired FCP Legacy 8 - really warms their hearts. So much that they're often OK with swallowing any uncomfortableness around the fact that the new date just won't do a tradirional committment, but rather insists that any relationship now entails a monthly forever allowance or she leaves and takes all her stuff with her (at least unless you start paying again.) And that's simply not negotiable.

And there's gorgeous little X out there, that once odd goofy and charming date that seemed maybe a bit too weird a while ago, now blossoming into a real stunner - and that folks are saying is not just light hearted and - well - FUN to hang with, but smart and efficient and flexible and seems totally happy with a nice mid priced get to know you date in the beginning, then never seems to need you to pony up to keep the relationship going thereafter.

Yep, she's culturally a bit different. Not so safe or standard. And you will have to adapt. But she comes out of an amazing family that's very, very accomplished, but one that takes risks and always seems to be figuring stuff ahead of the pack.

So what do you want? Safer choice? There's one of those available. More risk with more potential reward? There's a path toward that too.

Take your pick.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:40:15 am

Oi vey...

anthropomorphic

subjective

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:39:38 am

Dennis, which definition best applies here?

Subjective:
1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective ).
2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual:
3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.

Personally, I think it's N°3, do you? :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:34:49 am

I had the pleasure today of editing on both X and Premier today. For me, the speed, tools and theory of X is way better. Just my "subjective" opinion. ;-)

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 28, 2014 at 3:49:35 am

We cut 9 hours of a 5 camera multicam over the last 3 days on Yosemite without a hitch! Loving X!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:28:34 am

Yeah having used both extensively for quite a while I prefer FCPX to CC in almost every way. But if you're a heavy Photoshop and AE user then you already have Premiere so you're probably good to go.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

martin dugard
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:54:46 am

I was told in FCP7 days that basically the whole movie industry was on FCP& (damn me, I was a pC user at that time - sorry) did things change with FCPX? Now that FCPX is more robust is FCP still the heavy weight or did it loose a lot of share to PP? I suppose there is no hard data but what is your feel on that?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:31:23 pm

[martin dugard] "I was told in FCP7 days that basically the whole movie industry was on FCP"

You were lied to.

The "Hollywood" movie business was and continues to be largely an Avid stronghold. The documentary and lower budget indie world has been a mix - with a lot of FCP 1-7 all over the place. Internationally more of a mix, however most feature film editors in the UK and Europe (that are working at the upper end studio level) are also on Avid.

This is a niche, of course, so it doesn't correctly reflect the total numbers.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:53:35 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This is a niche, of course, so it doesn't correctly reflect the total numbers."

Which plays into my previous point. How are obscure, general numbers relevant? We have no clue what level of experience he has (if any), let alone in which area of production. There is and never will be one best solution. Ever. Freelance? Employed? Those and a bazillion other factors play into the (imho futile) "which is best" question, which, again, no one can answer for anyone else.

- RK

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:44:44 pm

Dennis,

Yes

And very much Yes.

This is a discussion forum. To the best of my knowledge, the two idioms (well, 3 including your Yiddish!) have always been, not just allowable in forums, but kinda expected.

That's the point of it being an open forum.

(I do kinda wish I'd had time to insert an really good automobile analogy or perhaps a haiku - but was a bit pressed for time.)

I've had to shrug off lots of criticism in forums over the years (much well deserved.) I suspect a corporate personage at Adobes level can easily do the same.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 28, 2014 at 7:47:22 pm

[Bill Davis] "perhaps a haiku"

The debate rages
Albeit with some less rage
Beyde zayn nitslekh

Oi gevalt, nu?
Mishegoss iz meshuggah
Gei ga zinta hait

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:30:08 pm

Item 797 on my lifetime bucket list (contemplate a haiku in Yiddish) at last crossed off.

Tonight I will sleep easy.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:26:21 pm

[Bill Davis] "Yep, she's culturally a bit different. Not so safe or standard. And you will have to adapt. But she comes out of an amazing family that's very, very accomplished, but one that takes risks and always seems to be figuring stuff ahead of the pack.

So what do you want? Safer choice? There's one of those available. More risk with more potential reward? There's a path toward that too.

Take your pick.

; )
"

Or just date both

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 28, 2014 at 4:35:18 pm

[Steve Connor] "Or just date both"

Date both? I didn't take you for a godless heathen, polygamist, Steve. ;)

If people start dating both then what are the "one daters" supposed to do with all the straw man arguments, false dichotomies and confirmation bias they've stockpiled over the years? Won't somebody think of the children!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 5:50:01 pm

Put them up on ebay?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 28, 2014 at 6:06:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "Put them up on ebay?"

Possibly. What about renting them out so I get monthly revenue instead of just a one-time payment?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 28, 2014 at 6:41:19 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "What about renting them out so I get monthly revenue instead of just a one-time payment?"

Works for me, as long as you ship useful updates to your straw man arguments, false dichotomies and confirmation biases three or four times a year.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 29, 2014 at 12:58:44 am

[Walter Soyka] "Works for me, as long as you ship useful updates to your straw man arguments, false dichotomies and confirmation biases three or four times a year."

That sounds like a lot of work. I was really hoping people would just rent what I currently have forever with me out adding anything new. Well, back to the drawing board...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 28, 2014 at 9:42:34 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:48:05 am

[martin dugard] "many moved to PPro (or Avid)."

To this day I am waiting for that to be substantiated in any way. Based on nothing but hearsay and anecdotal "evidence" at best imho. There is no factual data that I am familiar with that could back that up. I'm sure some moved here, others there (as they always have btw, depending on their needs) others not at all.

I don't understand the question or its practical relevance either. In the end, the only person that can in fact tell you if FCP X (or any other NLE) is for you, is... you. There is a 30 day, fully functional trial of every major NLE. Learning the basics and seeing which "clicks" with you only costs you some time. No judgement is better than actual objective judgement. If I were to tell you that FCP or PPro or Avid or Vegas or iMovie was the best NLE on the planet, bar none... how could you possibly know that that is true (for you) either way otherwise?

[martin dugard] "Is the production world still mainly FCP?"

No idea how anyone is going to verify that for you either way. The only question is which NLE is in any way relevant to you in the context of your market and clients. Therefore you're asking all the wrong questions imho. Any and all NLEs have their strengths and weaknesses. The question isn't which those are, but which are in any way relevant to you and your work. And I'm guessing no one here knows that other than you.

[martin dugard] "are there any reasons why I should go PPro rather than FCP?"

You tell us. The relevant variables for answering that question one way or the other are massive. I personally favor making decisions based on personal needs and actual experience. I prefer not to have others dictate it to me or rely on (rarely unbiased) personal opinion, other than maybe in the context of my own.

- RK

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 28, 2014 at 12:23:02 pm

I might be hanging myself with this post but I'll add my looney anyway.
I teach basic FCPX and Premiere Pro at local college.
It always baffles me when not even a day in, the students are already cutting in FCPX at a decent pace.
The program is so friendly and doesnt require the "walking on glass" approach like PPro does.
Maybe its my (in)ability to teach but Im sure other instructors can chime in.
Now of course, this could be way off topic.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 28, 2014 at 2:16:39 pm

[Eric Santiago] "It always baffles me when not even a day in, the students are already cutting in FCPX at a decent pace."

I see the exact same thing (we switched from FCP7 to X). In fact, I brought another professor down to watch the students work, and he was as amazed as I was to see how natural X is to them. Way way better than Legacy, as far as rate of learning is concerned.

Most of my students who were on Premiere coming in have now switched over to X. After Effects and Photoshop still rule, of course, but X is working far better than I could have ever expected. MHO, of course.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 28, 2014 at 10:39:27 pm

No doubt that FCP X is a solid editor but I prefer keyframing in Resolve, keyframing has never been a strong point with X, same goes with trimming. Just my honest opinion.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 29, 2014 at 12:10:59 am

I can see that David, but the overall efficiencies in X over Resolve still make it a better platform for me, IMHO. I just can't get R11 to run right on a new, tricked out MBP. I think that might be a settings error on my part somewhere.

That said, I am focusing on X and Resolve going forward over Avid or Premiere...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 29, 2014 at 5:05:40 am

[Scott Witthaus] "[Eric Santiago] "It always baffles me when not even a day in, the students are already cutting in FCPX at a decent pace."

I see the exact same thing (we switched from FCP7 to X)."

Agreed. I teach part-time a couple of classes to high school students. I almost don't have to teach them anything with regard to the basics of editing in FCPX. We can jump into talking about basic editing aesthetics almost immediately.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 30, 2014 at 6:37:23 pm

No doubt that Premiere Pro CC 2014 is the closest too and easiest to transition from FPC 7......it's fast...takes virtually any codec and just plays and edits it without transcoding (i think FCP X does that too)

Really wanted to love FCP X but i come from an audio mixing world where we used the recording keyframe audio mixing in FCP 7 for nice subtle mixes..no rubber banding, range selecting or pen tools.

This doesn't exist in FCP X without exporting the mix and setting roles which is too many extra steps for our work flow.

If X gave us tracks...without having to dig into audio nests and a mixer...they'd win a convert...

in the meantime - loving Premiere Pro - it really is FCP 7 on steroids

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 30, 2014 at 7:16:10 pm

[Andy Field] "(i think FCP X does that too)"

Yes, it does. Even more codecs and with even less fuss according to a Premiere colleague of mine, who is highly envious of the RED, Arri and other integration as far as the built-in LUTs and other options are concerned.

[Andy Field] "where we used the recording keyframe audio mixing in FCP 7"

Something I personally never once did in 10+ years of 7, since it did little more than leave me with an unmanageable mess of keyframes that were impossible to tweak without starting from scratch. Never struck me as an even vaguely efficient workflow. And any and everything else was done in an actual DAW.

[Andy Field] "If X gave us tracks..."

Which it clearly never will, seeing that "roles" are far more flexible and powerful compared to tracks. And if one knows how to use them, they pose just a few clicks more (if any), opening up more options and possibilities than tracks ever could.

- RK

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 31, 2014 at 5:09:16 pm

Robin,

I understand that what we do doesn't work for you...but it doesn't mean it doesn't work for scores of other people...as for X accepting more codecs....I don't think there is one that Premiere doesn't accept that X does. Again glad its working for you....but a great number of people have a tough time molding themselves to the software rather than having the flexibility they like and are used to.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 31, 2014 at 7:41:13 pm

[Andy Field] "Again glad its working for you....but a great number of people have a tough time molding themselves to the software rather than having the flexibility they like and are used to."

Goes both ways Andy. I have a hard time going back to the limitations of Premiere/FCP7 after experiencing the flexibility I have gotten used to with FCPX.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:32:45 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Nov 3, 2014 at 11:33:58 am

[Andy Field] "but it doesn't mean it doesn't work for scores of other people"

I don't recall ever saying that either. I just never met anyone for whom it made sense in those 10+ years.

[Andy Field] "a great number of people have a tough time molding themselves to the software"

You mean RE-molding (i.e. actually learning something new) like the first time you ever learned an NLE or ANY software for that matter? Because I have scores of students that catch on to FCP X and are productive with it exponentially faster than with any other NLE before it. So I guess that's a very relative viewpoint.

And it makes me smile when people play the rather tired "fanboy" card (or variation thereof) when and if they run out of any real arguments. :-D

- RK

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 31, 2014 at 6:25:07 pm

[Andy Field] "If X gave us tracks..."

Why in the hell would they do that?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 31, 2014 at 6:51:46 pm

makes me smile at the defensiveness when anyone dares question FCP X....

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Oct 31, 2014 at 7:42:41 pm

[Andy Field] "makes me smile at the defensiveness when anyone dares question FCP X...."

Goes both ways pretty evenly here too.

I'm just glad we have the choice we do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]