FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressor 4 transcodes GoPro 3+ Black Footage with freeze frames??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Huang
Compressor 4 transcodes GoPro 3+ Black Footage with freeze frames??
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:04:07 am

I've received a final batch of GoPro Hero 3+ Black footage (1080p, 23.98) for a documentary, and I'm trying to transcode to an editable format.

Traditionally I've done Apple ProRes Proxy for offline editing.

However, for the first time, without any prior changes in my system, when I previewed the file in Compressor 4's Preview window, every third frame freezes! Previous batches of GoPro footage from production still transcode just fine, just something about this last batch is making Compressor wonky.

I did check my Compressor settings. Frame rate is set to current, and frame controls are off. I did try to force the frame rate, but that didn't resolve the issue.

The raw files seem and play just fine, and transocded offline variants don't have the freeze frame glitch when I transcode in QT7, MPEG Streamclip, and Adobe CS6 Media Encoder. It's only in Compressor 3, and 4, that the file is somehow interpretted and transcribed incorrectly so that the end result has the freeze frames.

I've tried clearing Compressor preferences, updating ProApps Codecs to 1.0.5, reinstalling Compressor 4 and QT7.6.6, and so far no luck. I'd love to use the other mentioned programs, but Compressor is currently the only one fast enough to process the huge amount of footage I have in the timeframe I need.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm all out of ideas!

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
Re: Compressor 4 transcodes GoPro 3+ Black Footage with freeze frames??
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:20:22 pm

Have you thought about using GoPro's CineForm Studio? http://gopro.com/support/cineform-studio-software-support

While I don't really like the software, it's what I've been using to pre-process any GoPro footage into ProRes before using it in either FCP X or PrPro.

TBH I've never used it for ProRes Proxy, but I can't imagine it'd be much different.

Is there a reason you don't want to import the GoPro .MP4s directly into X and use the Proxy option therein?

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Anthony Huang
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:45:35 am

I have used GoPro Studio, but it's a time-intensive solution. I'm looking for a solution where I can bring the raw straight into a transcoding program to output for edit immediately.

I haven't however tried FCP X. That's mostly because the post house I'm at is using FCP 7. But I can give that shot!

Is there anything I can do in Compressor settings to alleviate this? It really sounds like an issue with the way the .mp4 wrapper is written, but even then i've tried to batch save out the files in MPEG Streamclip with new .mp4 or .mov wrappers, and still no luck.

Has anyone used any other transcoding programs that hasn't been listed yet?

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 28, 2014 at 1:56:06 pm

My bad, I assumed due to the sub-forum, we were talking about X.

I've found over time, I've used Compressor 4 less and less as much of what I need I can do in X and I like Media Encoder better for all batch work that doesn't require frame-rate changes.

Since you mentioned you don't get this glitch with Media Encoder; can you use it to create the Proxies you want?

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Anthony Huang
on Oct 28, 2014 at 6:31:20 pm

I'm sorry, I figured since I initially had this issue in Compressor 4, and 4 was part of the new X release, I'd just post here.

Media Encoder does work (with some Googling to restore Quicktime Move formats instead of just the default .flv and H.264 settings), but it's really slow bringing clips in (my batches are about 200 clips each), and it doesn't seem to utilize all cores the way Compressor does (when I setup QMaster). It actually seems to be a little slower than MPEG Streamclip :(

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Oct 30, 2014 at 12:37:38 am

Hi Anthony,

I was wondering if your GoPro Hero 3+ was updated to the latest firmware? I heard about some issues with early firmware on that model.

Regardless, you should report this to Apple on their Compressor feedback page.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/compressor.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]