FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Giant Offload

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Red Giant Offload
on Oct 20, 2014 at 9:55:31 pm

Found this to be interesting and love the humor in this video.

http://www.fcp.co/hardware-and-software/1523-offload-the-simple-application...

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Blackmagic Cinema Camera | FCP X | Motion 5 | Compressor 4 | Resolve 11

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
Re: Red Giant Offload
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:21:57 am

I downloaded a trial version. This looks like a great program. Love the simplicity of it.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 21, 2014 at 3:45:28 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "I downloaded a trial version. This looks like a great program. Love the simplicity of it."

How is this different from Shotput Pro, which is what we use now?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:22:41 pm

[Herb Sevush] "How is this different from Shotput Pro, which is what we use now?"

At first glance, it appears to be different in a few crucial ways.

It is read once, write once, Shotput Pro is read once, write many.

It only allows 2 destinations, Shotput Pro offers more than two.

I do like the simplicity of it, though.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 21, 2014 at 9:08:16 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 21, 2014 at 1:30:57 pm

Not too sure how *FCP* users actually need this, seeing that they can make camera archives from within FCP and "capture" from the archive. Boom, you already have two copies.

And if you, like me, have a Time Machine backup of the disk holding the archives you even have three.

Superb promo either way.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:07:46 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Not too sure how *FCP* users actually need this, seeing that they can make camera archives from within FCP and "capture" from the archive. Boom, you already have two copies."

I wish you the best in your campaign.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:15:03 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Oct 21, 2014 at 12:18:01 pm

The point of it is more for location work than for FCP users. But, I like to manage and control my media outside of the NLE. So, I definitely would use it long before I would do camera archives inside FCP X. That's an inherently closed system.

As for PProCC users, they also have Prelude, which can do the same thing, along with create selects and string outs.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 21, 2014 at 1:22:57 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 21, 2014 at 1:31:46 pm

[Oliver Peters] "That's an inherently closed system."

??
How is it "closed"? It's even less closed than e.g. creating simple disk images. A simple right-click on the Mac and you have full access to its contents and under windows it shows up as a regular folder. Best part (for me), too, is that if favorited you have quick and immediate access to it as the source via the import window (as if it were the original) should you need to use "Reimport from Camera/Card".

And I'm not saying the app is useless per se, I just don't see myself spending money on redundant functionality that FCP already has. And if I needed additional/other checksummed camera media backups, I could get that for free with Resolve 11 for example. Or get Shotput Pro or Auto Transfer from Digital Rebellion and get added automation and oodles of other functionality, even if they are more expensive. Great app I'm sure, just saying there are alternatives and have been for a while.

But the biggest irony of course being that if this kind of functionality didn't exist already in FCP, but elsewhere (i.e. the other way around) the pundits would be all over it with the usual "I have to buy a bunch of extra stuff!" meme. But this way, anything additional that is in fact redundant is of course suddenly redundantly BETTER. :-D It's hilarious.

Whatever. To each his own, right? ;)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Oct 21, 2014 at 4:44:51 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "How is it "closed"? It's even less closed than e.g. creating simple disk images."

FCPx is OSX only. ShotPut Pro and Offload are both cross-platform.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:19:59 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 21, 2014 at 5:40:03 pm

Again, I'm merely referring to the case where someone is in fact using FCP X in general, yes. And like I said, the actual archives are fully accessible on both platforms, whether FCP X is installed or not. That it's not necessarily the most ideal one-size-fits-all on-set DIT solution is a given, yes. Just saying, since I know from experience that only extremely few X users even know the option exists or know how to use it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:51:40 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Just saying, since I know from experience that only extremely few X users even know the option exists or know how to use it."

Or even care.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:34:53 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Just saying, since I know from experience that only extremely few X users even know the option exists or know how to use it."
[Oliver Peters] "Or even care."

I agree to both.

Finally all available solutions on the Mac use the same underlying "hdutil" and add an interface to it, and some batch functions (like a second copy or verification)

Using a virgin OS installation you can use Disk Utility since decades.

I created a free app a decade ago to copy cam cards safely, make a checksum and create an .iso backup. Latter is nice to have cause to can write this backup to a card again which will be accepted by the camera. In several cases a camera can repair bad clips.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/copyCards/copyCards.dmg

The other option to work with movie clips at all is my VirtualCameraCard (free as well). It's tailored for FCP X's import options. Some times people got long clips from somewhere and only portions of the clips are needed (though these portions could be unknown). Working with managed files always the whole clip would be imported and the portions have to be figured out after import.
Creating a virtual card with these files allows to make selections already on import. You can use it to make a backup of the clips (similar to a camera archive) or just as a quick workaround for the missing options in FCP X's import. Quick means that the virtual card also can use sym-links. Not recommended for long term projects.
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/X-Files/VirtualCameraCard.dmg

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:16:20 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 22, 2014 at 12:30:44 pm

[Andreas Kiel] "Some times people got long clips from somewhere and only portions of the clips are needed (though these portions could be unknown). Working with managed files always the whole clip would be imported and the portions have to be figured out after import."

If by "managed files" you mean when coming from a harddisk/the Finder, then yes, you're not able to make a selection. Coming from a card/archive you can of course even make multiple selections on a single clip to be imported individually (something I'm pretty sure no other NLE on the market offers btw).

But I suspect the logic behind that may well be that if the footage is on your/a disk locally already, it would seem redundant if you only import a section of the whole thing, since the amount of generated data (given that you can use "the leave in place" option) stays the same. Making a selection would require a copy (of just that portion) therefore generating more (basically unnecessary) data.

Nonetheless, yet another interesting app, thanks. :)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 8:30:16 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:06:50 am

[Oliver Peters] "Or even care."

Of course. That's a given. Not everyone needs every feature. No revelation there. But those same people will give just as much (or little) a hoot about this app, too.

- RK

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:48:59 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "I just don't see myself spending money on redundant functionality that FCP already has."

Kind of like me and MC8. I just won't use MC enough to make the $300 a year worth it. And FCPX does most of what MC can do and alot more even better. Horses for courses.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 22, 2014 at 1:11:31 pm

This is a meh for me. Unless it has rewrapping capabilities I'm not interested. I would love to have a video transfer utility to work outside for FCP X for a few reasons: have my own naming convention, not have to spend time creating a new library and event, have more stringent checksum verification, be able to work in FCP X while importing without grinding it to a halt.

Unfortunately outside of Adobe Prelude I don't see any offerings that would be able to rewrap the files for use in FCP X. Sorry I'm not paying for CC just to have access to Prelude.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:10:03 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:35:08 pm

[Brett Sherman] "have my own naming convention"

What more than at the Finder level and/or automated batch renaming in FCP do you need? Just curious.

[Brett Sherman] "not have to spend time creating a new library and event"

Really? We're already down to saving a keystroke and a few seconds of time?? :-D

[Brett Sherman] "while importing without grinding it to a halt"

Haven't personally seen this. Ever. Especially since FCP in fact stops any and all import activity when you do anything else. So I don't see how that could in any way affect overall performance.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:28:35 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Brett Sherman] "have my own naming convention"
What more than at the Finder level and/or automated batch renaming in FCP do you need? Just curious."

I do this too. I like the ARRI naming convention Cam-Card-Clip-Date, such as A001_C001_141022_RMN. The latter is a unique identifier. Let's say you have a 5D clip labelled MVI_7190, you might change that to 5D001_C001_141022_7190. This would stand for "5D camera", "card 1", "clip 1", "shot Oct.22, 2014", plus the original clip number. If you are working with production job numbers, you could also embed a reel ID using a job number and consecutive card, like 2098C001 through 2098C999. Plus TC, too. So embed TC as well.

For me, QtChange and Better Rename are standard utilities.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:59:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "For me, QtChange and Better Rename are standard utilities."

For me, a simple Automator script saved as a system service (available via right-click in the Finder) does the trick.

- RK

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:37:50 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "For me, a simple Automator script saved as a system service (available via right-click in the Finder) does the trick."

That won't add TC or embed a reel ID if needed.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 9:03:11 pm

If needed, there are other options, yes.

- RK

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 22, 2014 at 4:34:11 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "What more than at the Finder level and/or automated batch renaming in FCP do you need? Just curious."

Yes Finder level names. Because we use AVCHD as one of our cameras I will have hundreds of Clip #1's. For my needs I need serialized names where you can search for that particular file.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Really? We're already down to saving a keystroke and a few seconds of time?? :-D"

Because we are storing our projects on a NAS server it is much more involved than that. We have to create a sparse bundle, we have to create a library file, we have to create an event, we have to create a media folder, we have to set the library media location settings. All of these need to have the same exact name. I'd estimate it takes at least 5 minutes to do all this. And also for many of these shoots we don't actually need the library file since it may be used with other material in an overarching project.

[Robin S. Kurz] "FCP in fact stops any and all import activity when you do anything else. So I don't see how that could in any way affect overall performance."

That's my point, often I want it to continue import while working.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 22, 2014 at 6:34:34 pm

[Brett Sherman] "For my needs I need serialized names where you can search for that particular file."

See the various solutions above.

[Brett Sherman] "We have to create a sparse bundle, we have to create a library file, we have to create an event..."

You could of course simply use "template" libraries etc. for that and duplicate as needed. Whereby I don't get the need for sparse bundles to begin with.

[Brett Sherman] "That's my point, often I want it to continue import while working."

Sorry, but that makes no sense. It doesn't copy while working, therefore no performance hit. But you want it to copy but without a performance hit. Hmmm... sounds like the cake and eating thing to me. If that were feasible, I'd say they'd have done it. Aside from not having to wait for it to finish before being able to start working anyway.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:41:54 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "
See the various solutions above."

You'd have to import clips into a library in FCP X. Close FCP X. Delete the library. Rename the clips in the Finder. Open FCP X. Create a new library. Import the clips with the new filenames. That's not an elegant solution.

[Robin S. Kurz] "Whereby I don't get the need for sparse bundles to begin with."

If you worked off a NAS you would. :)

[Robin S. Kurz] " Hmmm... sounds like the cake and eating thing to me. If that were feasible, I'd say they'd have done it."

To clarify. What I mean is the import grinds to a halt. I have to stop working for the import to continue. There are times I'd rather live with a performance hit and import at the same time. With a card transfer utility, you'd only lose some disk access speed when working concurrently.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 8:13:11 am

[Brett Sherman] "You'd have to import clips into a library in FCP X. Close FCP X..."

Oh well, if that's what you need... I simply use metadata and FCP's batch renaming if actually needed, since Finder names are completely irrelevant to me. The organization within FCP is what's key for me.

[Brett Sherman] "If you worked off a NAS you would."

I do.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 23, 2014 at 12:15:50 pm

"since Finder names are completely irrelevant to me"

Weird. Finder media names are among the most important things in all of my workflows.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2014 at 1:53:54 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Finder media names are among the most important things in all of my workflows."

Horses for courses as they say. File names in the context of FCP X is the least relevant metadata information I can think of. And if I actually needed different names for organizational reasons, I always have FCP's batch renaming. If there's anything I do in the Finder first, then it's prep using folders and/or Finder tags which I then import as keywords. At the very latest at that point is when the original file names become most irrelevant for me, yes. The names can't tell me anything I don't already know and at the same time can't show me an abundance of other things I do need to know, no matter the nomenclature. So I don't bother.

- RK

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:16:18 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Horses for courses as they say. File names in the context of FCP X is the least relevant metadata information I can think of."

The issue comes in when you have to hand off a sequence to someone else for effects, grading, etc. Depending on the interchange format, it is often critical that the media file names, NOT clip names are correct and useful. Unique file names, valid TC and reel IDs are what many applications fall back on, regardless of what these are called in FCP X.

A second function is what happens when you need to revisit media 5 or more years later? You may have moved on to another NLE or the versions are no longer compatible. If the media file names make sense and are properly organized at the finder level, then this becomes a lot easier.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 23, 2014 at 3:32:45 pm

[Oliver Peters] "A second function is what happens when you need to revisit media 5 or more years later?"

But this is FCPX he's talking about and Apple has decreed that no one needs to worry about 5 year old projects or backwards compatibility. In Appleland the future is now and the past is never. Plus he can always boot up the latest iteration of X, because one thing we also know is that Apple never kills off applications.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:11:41 pm

Not in terms of translatable databasing.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]