FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Timelines in an event, looks like its there but not useable yet.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Goodman
Multiple Timelines in an event, looks like its there but not useable yet.
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:25:32 pm

seeing as you can open a coumpound clip in its own timeline and then tab back and forth between that and the main one, cant see why having two timelines would be that difficult to implment. In fact its already there , we just cant use it :(

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Multiple Timelines in an event, looks like its there but not useable yet.
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:43:07 pm

Compounds behave sort of like nests.

Keep in mind Projects exist in a separate Library from Events. You can use any number of Projects in an Event. You can even version by duplicating a Project just as you would a sequence. Projects can pull media from any Event. The result is you can have any number of Projects pulling media from any number of events. You have nominally an unlimited number of sequences.

This is function of the Relational Database I've mentioned elsewhere.

A Project is a Timeline which includes Primary and Secondary Storylines (if they exist) and Compound clips (if they exist). To say there is one Sequence or Timeline per Project belays a lack of understanding of what a Project is. It's almost as if saying having one sequence per sequence is a limit . . . yet a Project is much more than that.

Projects are sort of "super" sequences.

Project is not the "home" of the media and bins as it is in other NLEs so the word creates some confusion.

Events are the home of Media and Collections

Yet Projects can be media managed (albeit only primitively at the moment) since they can be move, moved with related Events, move only with used media.

The Events, Collections, Projects are not directly analogous to what previously existed and that's throwing a lot of people and causing people to ask "odd" questions like "why don't projects have multiple sequences?" The closest real answer is the Projects are in their own library, you can have as many as you want, they can use media from any number of Events.

What we can and do have is that any Event can have multiple Projects.
Any Project can use Multiple Events.

This is a Relational Database.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:46:32 pm

im see what your talking about, and yes it works in that sense, but if the function is already built in there with compound clips to be able to have there own timelines, it cant be hard to implement a second timeline all together since the functionality is there (tabbing thru multiple timeline) they just wont let us use it in the way id like to ans instead make us make new projects. Dont see the point of it.

Neil Goodman: Editor of New Media Production - NBC/Universal

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:51:08 pm

What's the difference, though? You can organize your projects in folders just like you could put sequences in bins. You can explode compound clips into their own popup timeline for fine tuning just like you could with nested sequences. You can have multiple projects open and keystroke between them (totally mappable keystrokes to boot). Why do you need multiple sequences per project if all the same essential functionality is there under another name?

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:50:38 pm

"You can use any number of Projects in an Event. "

Actually you can use any number of events in a project. However when you create a project you have to define what the default event is. Carrying it further - if you make an event first and import all of your footage etc into it you have what used to be the "bins in the browser". You then create a new project with that event as the default. If you think of projects as the sequences of old, of which there can be many assigned to the same event, then it makes sense. At least that's what makes sense to me: Events = the old footage and other elements folders in the browser & Projects = the old sequences in the browser. Projects can be put in folders (for instance: by client). Hope I'm making sense here.

NT

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:59:20 pm

[Nick Toth] ""You can use any number of Projects in an Event. "

Actually you can use any number of events in a project."

Both basically. That's the flexibility of it.
You can make several projects each defaulting to the same event.
You can open any project and use media from any event.

One of the Project manage options is Move Project and Referenced Events for example.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:12:18 pm

Craig, really appreciate all your input here as I've been working through all this myself. It's hard for me not to feel that the Events and Projects mentality is straight from iMovie and then someone created the advanced nests with Compound Clips and they couldn't figure out which was better or to combine them into one thing so they left them both in for now. And keeping the name "Projects" was not a smart idea because there is almost no professional that would only have one timeline for an entire project.

Events, as they are implemented now, work great for RAW FOOTAGE but once you start adding "pro" stuff like graphics, music, VO, animations, etc. it starts to get unnecessarily messy since the Projects are mostly detached from them.

And another find I found today was that when you open a Compound Clip you made in the Event Browser and then render something in it, a Render Folder gets created in the Event Folder in the finder and NOT the Project folder. And, if I wanted to do this, I could not find a way to duplicate a Project that has one of those Compound Clips in it and duplicate the render files from it since they weren't in the Project folder, so I'll lose those renders when transferring to another system. Do we really need two Render Files Folders, when one of those folders isn't easily transferable to other systems when sharing timelines? I know I'm over thinking this to an extent but as I've said before, unnecessary duplicate functions cause unnecessary frustration. Maybe this will all be explained when the FCP X manual gets finished. =)

Here's a thread that's been ongoing about this stuff if you want to read some more thoughts I've been having:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/191

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:06:09 pm

Actually I think the Events Projects idea is very good (in concept at least). iMovie was Randy Ubillos playground for FCPX. It's even more interesting when I read that he wanted to call iMovie, First Cut.

Have you tried using the Project media manage type functions? I haven't tested but I could have sworn one of them would carry over the renders and media from the Events as well.

Return to posts index

Tony Silanskas
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:20:15 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Have you tried using the Project media manage type functions? I haven't tested but I could have sworn one of them would carry over the renders and media from the Events as well."

I'm not in front of my FCP X computer right now but I thought I tried them all. Maybe I missed a checkbox. =) I'll keep playing around with it.

tony

http://www.HungryCliff.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]