FORUMS: list search recent posts

EDL to XML (FCPXML) conversion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Scott
EDL to XML (FCPXML) conversion?
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:00:22 pm

I have an archaic project that was done in an old NLE (Discreet edit*) and I now need to update it. The original media files have been upconverted to HD. Now I had been planning to deal with moving to FCP7, but it seems that every time I turn around the sand shifts under my feet. I understand that some people have tested FCP7 on Yosemite and found it to work, but who knows how long that will last? My challenge is that my MacPro is a multi-purpose media machine and I'm not sure I can dedicate it to older OSX versions just so I can be sure to use FCP7 which can import EDLs.

Which is a long way of setting up my question: Assuming I shift all primary video work to FCPX, I will need to somehow convert my legacy system's EDLs to FCPXML, yes? Is there a utility that can perform this? My searches here and on Google have found converters TO EDL but so far I haven't found anything to convert FROM EDL to XML. (I have 80+ timelines, so manual coding is really out of the question.)

Any utilities/applications, or resources where I can find more info?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: EDL to XML (FCPXML) conversion?
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:19:01 pm

I presume your media exists on files and not tape, given the age of Discreet Edit. Also, that those files have valid, corresponding reel IDs and timecode. Given that, your best bet is probably Resolve 11 Lite (free).

Bring your files into the Media Pool. Import the EDL. This should give you a new timeline with media correctly linked. Export a new FCPXML from Resolve and then go to FCP X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Laura Scott
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:39:06 pm

I presume your media exists on files and not tape

Yes. We actually redigitized from the original tapes to ProRes 422, matching timecode.

I never would have thought of Resolve 11 Lite for this purpose. Brilliant! Thanks!

(I thought I had posted this in the regular FCPX forum. Seems a bit misplaced here. Apologies.)

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Oct 17, 2014 at 5:56:52 pm

If you've digitised from tapes into files, ensure that the 'Reel name' or 'Tape name' of the digitised ProRes files are consistent with what's in the EDLs.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Laura Scott
on Oct 17, 2014 at 6:21:10 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Fortunately that's something that can always be corrected in the text file prior to import. Oy, it's been ages.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 18, 2014 at 6:52:09 pm

Depending on what you need it may be you can just edit in Resolve. Get 11.1 which is a release version of the recent beta where most of the improvement has been with edit functionality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]