FORUMS: list search recent posts

TED Goes FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
TED Goes FCPX
on Oct 9, 2014 at 10:46:49 pm

Very proud of this little story, hope you enjoy. (And yet feel free to debate away):

"TED made the official transition to FCPX on September 1. "There really was a long runway before officially switching," says Glass, "but we made that the date at which we would never open FCP7 again in order to edit a talk from scratch," he says. "If we need to go back into a previous edit, instead of trying to translate from one to the other, we'll edit in the old software." Assisted by Sam Mestman from FCPWORKS, the TED editorial team spent six months training in the new version, starting with tutorial on Lynda.com and Ripple Training and moving to one-on-one tutoring with Mestman, especially at the beginning and again during the week "marathon" leading up to the official transition. "This whole process really started almost two years ago," says Glass. "We knew Final Cut Pro X was there, but we also looked at Premiere, Avid, even Smoke at one point. We narrowed it down to Premiere and FCPX, and once we had the lay of the land from the press and what we could read about it, we took two-to-three-day intro courses offsite to both softwares. That gave us a good handle on where the problems would be, whatever we took on, and also what the advantages would be."

http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/10/ted-director-of-film-video-michael-glass...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: TED Goes FCPX
on Oct 9, 2014 at 11:17:08 pm

This stuck out for me.

"It wasn't unanimous, at first. "Well, honestly, there's never consensus, but it all added up that Final Cut X was the right decision," adds Glass. "As much as I had our video delivery team, our engineers and pre-production team embracing FCPX, the editors were the hold outs.
(SNIP)
They went from saying, half-heartedly, 'OK, I can use this,' to 'Wow, this will actually improve my workflow, and even makes editing kind of fun again.' That was better than even I expected." - See more at: http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/10/ted-director-of-film-video-michael-glass...

The line: "The editors were the hold outs" made me smile. As a class, seems we're kinda resistant to change.

Nice story, Noah. And nice work once again Sam.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 10, 2014 at 12:03:22 am

[Bill Davis] "As a class, seems we're kinda resistant to change. "

That's just people in general.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 10, 2014 at 12:38:40 am

[Gary Huff] "That's just people in general."

Pretty fair observation generally.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 10, 2014 at 2:45:06 pm

[Gary Huff] "That's just people in general."

It seems more true of editors though. Especially "senior" editors. In part I believe they don't want to give up their edge in knowledge of the ins and outs of the software they use. And they've been working the same way for a longer time and are less inclined to try a new way.

I think for something like TED, FCP X is an obvious choice. Fast turnaround web videos with multi-cam. I'm glad they eventually came around.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:26:11 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I believe they don't want to give up their edge in knowledge of the ins and outs of the software they use. And they've been working the same way for a longer time and are less inclined to try a new way. "

Very true. I'm literally surrounded by this. And I understand the feeling... kind of. :-) In an environment where you're expected to be good and fast at the same time changing tools can be scary.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 10, 2014 at 6:33:20 pm

[Brett Sherman] "It seems more true of editors though. Especially "senior" editors. "

Hear hear. The ones that needed years and years way back when to wrap their head around matters and are now scared out of their minds that their "elite status" will disappear too quickly, along with the endless admiration for for being the only ones that get what all those knobs, buttons and random pop-ups do. That's why this fancy-shmancy, new and easy-to-use stuff CAN NOT be tolerated! … ¼" TAPE is where it's at! ;)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:33:19 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Hear hear. The ones that needed years and years way back when to wrap their head around matters and are now scared out of their minds that their "elite status" will disappear too quickly, along with the endless admiration for for being the only ones that get what all those knobs, buttons and random pop-ups do. That's why this fancy-shmancy, new and easy-to-use stuff CAN NOT be tolerated! … ¼" TAPE is where it's at! ;)"

Quarter-inch tape? I thought that Luddite dinosaurs were the ones who criticized what they didn't understand?

Dismissal of the past and fear of the future might just be two sides of the same coin. Both put assumptions over experience.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:57:49 am

Sarcasm is not your strong suit, mh? :D

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:48:02 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "Sarcasm is not your strong suit, mh? :D"

If your post was not a derogatory critique of some amorphous group of "senior editors," but rather a comment meant to underscore the value and continued relevance of their experience and an acknowledgement of all the change (industry and technology alike) that they have successfully managed in their careers, then yes, I'd say we have firm evidence that demonstrates how sarcasm is lost on me.

The senior editors I know are old dogs who have made a career of learning new tricks, who have earned the title "senior" not by mindlessly punching time but by building their careers on continuous improvement.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 12:54:15 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I'd say we have firm evidence that demonstrates how sarcasm is lost on me."

Yepp. :)

Never mind that I consider myself a "senior editor", just not that kind. I can differentiate.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2014 at 2:00:26 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Never mind that I consider myself a "senior editor", just not that kind. I can differentiate."

Robin, I read a lot of your posts here and know you to be a very smart and sincerely helpful person -- very giving of your time, and a real asset to the community.

I'm just sad to see the "Luddite dinosaur" argument popping up here again. Dismissing the real concerns of real working pros with such little consideration like this carries all the insight and intellectual honesty of the "iMovie Pro" argument on the other side.

Personally, I think Charlie nailed it above. Resistance to change is real, but someone being reluctant to switch applications because using their current app is as natural as breathing, allowing them to function at a very high level, is just not the same as being "scared out of their minds that their 'elite status' will disappear too quickly" or seeking "endless admiration for for being the only ones that get what all those knobs, buttons and random pop-ups do."

That kind of rhetoric strikes me as needlessly divisive. It carries an air of superiority that erects a barrier to advocacy for an app with real benefits to offer. I think we're better discussing the pros and cons of the solutions in context than attacking the successes and motivations of our peers outside of it.

Of course, if that's the part you were being sarcastic about, meaning you think that the people who are hesitant to adopt FCP X have a valid point, then yes, I have blithely and repeatedly missed your point and humbly apologize.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:15:35 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 13, 2014 at 3:41:14 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I'm just sad to see the "Luddite dinosaur" argument popping up here again."

Never mind that it never originated from me to begin with. Aside from never attacking any real person in any way either, only a personal caricature. I also don't see anyone actually feeling spoken to either. If you want to take (imho) exaggerated and misguided offence to it all... oh well. This is mountain and mole-hill material if you ask me. Don't see the truly relevant point, sorry. Cheers.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:17:07 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "mountain and mole-hill material"

Best alternate name for this forum yet!

[Robin S. Kurz] "Aside from never attacking any real person in any way to begin with, only a personal caricature.... If you want to take imho exaggerated and misguided offence to that... oh well."

I take no offense, and I'm sorry if I've unfairly singled you out with my criticism.

Your caricature coincides with a popular misconception -- see just about any discussion here about Avid for examples of this in action. As someone who tries to take a pragmatic approach to NLE selection, having steered some clients toward FCP X and some toward Premiere over the last three years, I think that the stereotypes of FCP X users and non-users just promote misunderstanding and interefere with fact-based discussions of workflow issues.

Like I said before, I really do respect what you do here. I hope there are no hard feelings.

Trying to move back on topic... for me, the most interesting lines in this article were not included in the quotations above.

Of the hold-out editors: "They wanted to make sure they could do their job without having to use a tool that slows them down." That's not being fearful of becoming irrelevant, that's being cautious to preserve their high standards. If the editors who were responsible were willing to leap before they looked, they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

On practical experience: "People were starting to come around to the idea of FCPX before Sam showed up." That illustrates the exact open-mindedness and exploration that many have very seriously argued is missing from established professional editors.

On overcoming objections: "Glass says the team also made sure they socialized the learning process by 'putting ourselves in a room and a bit more systematically made sure everyone voiced their concerns and shared their ideas. A lot of good has come out of that.'" Involving everyone in the decision and process instead of forcing it from the top down is a great approach, not just for morale and making people feel good, but for actually validating the approach at high and low levels.

It's not easy to change an established workflow. Congrats to all involved in the project for doing it well.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Oct 13, 2014 at 7:35:37 pm

[Walter Soyka] "fact-based discussions"

It is a fact: some folks are justified in their considerations of behaving like a luddite dinosaur while others are not justified.

This is context by way of CS6 > CC > CC2014 (wrong forum I know). And I'm particularly aiming at the accounting department who cannot fathom a world where software is a rental expense. These luddite dinosaurs believe Software can only be a capital expense.

Women and men of the accounting departments of the world, please, please. Search your souls. This editor needs to send multiple sequences to AME.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 13, 2014 at 10:45:32 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think that the stereotypes of FCP X users and non-users just promote misunderstanding and interefere with fact-based discussions of workflow issues."

The divisions between "workflow issues", stickiness on a certain method, and unwillingness to work differently is excessively muddy. I'm not sure you can separate them. What I'm confident about is everything I've seen come out of TED could easily be done with X. Due diligence is good, but I don't know why FCP X should have been scrutinized any differently than Premiere Pro in this regard.

For many of us X users, we see enough anecdotal evidence that some editors (who are typically older - but hey so am I) are resistant to FCP X based on false impressions that it is not a false trope, but a phenomenon.

It's not true that editors who don't edit with X are dinosaurs, but it's also not true that every editor judges the software based fully on it's actual merits.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:11:53 pm

[Brett Sherman] "For many of us X users, we see enough anecdotal evidence that some editors (who are typically older - but hey so am I) are resistant to FCP X based on false impressions that it is not a false trope, but a phenomenon.

It doesn't have to do with X though. Mac vs. PC. Ford vs. Chevy. Canon vs. Nikon. PlayStation vs. Xbox. There's a mixture of brand loyalty, tribalism, familiarity and choice-supportive bias the rears its head up in everything from work tools to tennis shoes. I honestly don't think there's anything uniquely 'scary' or 'unsettling' about X that strikes fear into the hearts of editors. It's just the same 'defending my turf' crap on a new day. I remember editors using FCP Legend getting mad when they got pissed on by editors using Avid, but then the FCP editors were just as eager to piss on editors that used Premiere or Vegas... I guess we're all just jerks with selective memories.

It's not true that editors who don't edit with X are dinosaurs, but it's also not true that every editor judges the software based fully on it's actual merits."

True. Though if you are trying to get someone to judge X on its actual merits it's best not to refer to them as dinosaurs. ;)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:16:12 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "True. Though if you are trying to get someone to judge X on its actual merits it's best not to refer to them as dinosaurs. ;)"

Well, since some dinosaur species are still thriving today as birds, it's not really a proper insult anyway. Maybe there should be a new pejorative. Trilobites? :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:38:09 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Well, since some dinosaur species are still thriving today as birds, it's not really a proper insult anyway. Maybe there should be a new pejorative. Trilobites? :-)
"

Can we not have one analogy that doesn't get undermined in this forum! ;)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:41:29 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "[Charlie Austin] "Well, since some dinosaur species are still thriving today as birds, it's not really a proper insult anyway. Maybe there should be a new pejorative. Trilobites? :-)
"

Can we not have one analogy that doesn't get undermined in this forum! ;)"

As an FCP X user, it is my fanboi duty to not only change all "legacy" editorial terminology (bins? sequences? phhht!), but also all legacy insults as well. ;-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 13, 2014 at 11:46:59 pm

[Charlie Austin] "As an FCP X user, it is my fanboi duty to not only change all "legacy" editorial terminology (bins? sequences? phhht!), but also all legacy insults as well. ;-)"

Touché.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 14, 2014 at 5:41:12 am

[Charlie Austin] "Well, since some dinosaur species are still thriving today as birds, it's not really a proper insult anyway. Maybe there should be a new pejorative. Trilobites? :-)"

And we all know, that as go the trilobites, so go the chiggerbites and mosqueetos.

(The most seasoned "bozos" around here will, perhaps, get the reference.)

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Oct 14, 2014 at 3:24:52 pm

I don't think I've ever referred to anyone as a dinosaur. You will note I said they are not dinosaurs as that is the word that gets thrown around by others, not the FCP X users.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:07:33 pm

[Brett Sherman] "You will note I said they are not dinosaurs as that is the word that gets thrown around by others, not the FCP X users."

I have tried to find the origin of that word in this forum. I couldn't quite find it.

Kind of like real dinosaurs, some of the details are lost to history.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 14, 2014 at 4:12:55 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I don't think I've ever referred to anyone as a dinosaur. You will note I said they are not dinosaurs as that is the word that gets thrown around by others, not the FCP X users."

Yeah, I brought up the d-word. I guess I'm one of the "others," and I use it as a reductive shorthand to refer to the idea that we have seen over and over here that senior editors reject FCPX because they are unable to adapt.

I absolutely agree with Brett above that there's still some "resistance to FCPX based on false impressions." I just think the best way forward is to correct that misinformation and engage in a dialog (that means two-way communication) so that people can make their own informed decisions, not belittle the capabilities of those who erroneously believe misinformation.

I am really sorry to have participated in the derailment of this thread, but buying into the stereotypes expressed here does nothing to further understanding or foster community and I think runs contrary to the spirit of the original article.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Oct 10, 2014 at 3:47:48 am
Last Edited By Jari Innanen on Oct 10, 2014 at 4:57:43 pm

There is more on the subject also on the Chris Fenwicks excellent FCPX Grill:

http://digitalcinemacafe.com/2014/09/18/fcg082-ted-cuts-in-fcpx-feat-michae...

EDIT: -Sorry forgot to go off topic right away.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Oct 11, 2014 at 12:40:53 pm

It's an interesting observation - when working at a certain large British, err broadcasting corporation I was amazed to see two fill kitted FCP7 suites lying dormant in their suites, with post for the series being done in a facilities house. When asked why, I was told by the producer how crappy FCP was and how it couldn't keep sync etc. I politely explained that this was total BS as I'd done X hours of broadcast material on FCP. Turns out it was the old school Avid editors not understanding the differences, and simply trashing the systems instead of adapting. Result - maybe £100k of taxpayers money lying unused, and a big fat wedge going to a post house somewhere in Soho. Oh, and a bunch of editors kept happy and in employment on antiquated Avids.

Same thing is happening with X at the moment - but slowly people are starting to listen. I've no idea if it will ever go mainstream in London - but the mocking voices are abating at least.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 11, 2014 at 1:18:49 pm

I think the last hurdle is some sort of collaboration, but honestly, fcpx is no worse than fcp7 at this point.

I'm just glad to hear that folks are starting to see the creative potential in X.

Return to posts index

David Howard
on Oct 13, 2014 at 4:23:50 am

I love FCPX. Once you get the hang of it, it is so much easier to use than any other final cut and probably any other edit software. Good choice :)

Redefined Media

Video Production Sydney

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]