FORUMS: list search recent posts

My FCP X wish list

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
My FCP X wish list
on Oct 4, 2014 at 4:25:31 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Oct 5, 2014 at 12:13:01 am

Aside from what was mentioned from Steve Martin, I would love to have the ability to key frame color correction. Until then I am seriously considering this workaround:

Create a color balance template in Motion, under the effect option then create sliders for lift, gamma, and gain for each color channel as follows:

Red Lift
Red Gamma
Red Gain

The same for green and blue channels

Prior to that create a slider for contrast and at the last step, one for saturation.

Also plan on adding one for a fade in / out effect using a behavior adding to it a rig and creating sliders as well.

Granted, some of this functionality should have been added by now but I think the workaround methods just mentioned should be a good alternative. Love to hear thoughts on this.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: My FCP X wish list
on Oct 5, 2014 at 4:09:00 pm

I asked for that the day FCP X was first released... and have mentioned it EVERY single time somebody makes a list. If Apple thought it was important, we'd have gotten it by now...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 5, 2014 at 6:18:53 pm

First video professional: "I want all the color control of Resolve wrapped into X!"

Second video professional: "I want all the audio control of Logic wrapped into X!"

Third video professional: "I want all the editorial power of AVID wrapped into X"

All of them six months after getting their wishes: "Dammit,this software has become a slow, bloated piece of crap!!!"

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:00:25 am

[Bill Davis] "All of them six months after getting their wishes: "Dammit,this software has become a slow, bloated piece of crap!!!"

And so it goes."

Yeah, one of those instances where you need to be careful for what you wish for. It was a while ago, but I remember someone wishing for either all of the CS Production Premium or all of Final Cut Studio (told you it was a while ago) to be in one giant app and the only thing I could think of was how unwieldily an abomination like that would be.

Round tripping is a pain at times but it's the lesser of two evils. Adobe has made great strides with Dynamic Link though there's still room for improvement. I will say that I really like what they've done with PPro and SpeedGrade where the grade from SG is applied like a filter when the timeline is sent back to PPro. This makes tweaking the 'locked' edit you sent to SG very simple. A feature like that is something I hoped Apple would do w/the old FCP and Color.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 6, 2014 at 2:24:35 pm

Part of Xs issues with sucking up RAM and beach balling might actually be that as Alex4D has pointed out, it's running a full copy of Motion within FCPX. So that's a but if built in bloat already. I'm

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 8, 2014 at 5:14:41 pm

[Bret Williams] "
Part of Xs issues with sucking up RAM and beach balling might actually be that as Alex4D has pointed out, it's running a full copy of Motion within FCPX. So that's a but if built in bloat already. I'm"

For the most part, FCP X is pretty responsive on my system despite the occasional somewhat long render time. I do get the evil beach ball when starting up Motion 5. First thought that Red Giant Universe had something to do with but I am on mid 2012 Mac Pro, have not added anymore memory so that might be the culprit. Other than that, Motion seems to be responsive as well.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 8, 2014 at 6:05:27 pm

I think the little 5-10 sec motion beach ball is FX Factory checking for updates. Do you have FX Factory? I don't get the beach ball if I open a project directly by double clicking in the finder. So maybe it's reading all the templates and projects and recents. But something made me think it was FX Factory. A couple times after the beach ball it mentioned an update perhaps.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 8, 2014 at 7:21:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "I think the little 5-10 sec motion beach ball is FX Factory checking for updates. Do you have FX Factory?"

I did have FX Factory at one time but since I hardly use it I have deleted it. Recently did a clean install from the ground up.

One thing that I just now thought about is Red Giant Universe. I did add it back in. Occasionally there is a terminal error message, most of the time the internet connection is disabled. I sometimes get a message that plug-in from Universe caused FCP X to close unexpectedly, but it was a normal quit from what I can tell as I press command q to quit. The error message follows, but not all the time. Perhaps there is a chance Universe could be what is causing this. It is set to check for updates on a weekly basis, since most of the time the internet connection is disabled, this could be a cause.

Could it be possible that Universe could be checking for an update as well?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 6, 2014 at 3:27:00 pm
Last Edited By Mitch Ives on Oct 6, 2014 at 3:27:15 pm

Keyframing in color correction filter is bloat? Seriously, Bill... you're losing credibility.

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 6, 2014 at 6:54:52 pm

If Motion really is built into FCP X, then it shouldn't be bloat at all. Its just accessing features that are already there.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 6, 2014 at 8:04:19 pm

[Bret Williams] "If Motion really is built into FCP X, then it shouldn't be bloat at all. Its just accessing features that are already there."

Well said...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]