FORUMS: list search recent posts

It is what it is...stay or move on

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Daigon
It is what it is...stay or move on
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:42:04 pm

Im a firm believer in expressing my opinion in issues important to me. And I also believe that venting is a healthy alternative to getting ulcers. But after a certain amount of time has passed (different for everyone), continuing to dwell and obsess on something seems pretty unhealthy and counter productive. Maybe the adult version of a tantrum or holding your breath till you turn blue.
I have ranted here and other places the last week and felt better for it. But what feels good is putting this situation behind me and moving on. With the help of R. Harringtons fine book and a dvd from Lynda.com, I feel postive and energized learning about a new NLE that better serves my needs.
I had to reach the point where I understood the current situation with FCP X is what it is...and I should decide to stay or move on. Moving on has help start healing the wounds.Its time to start enjoying the process of editing again.

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / FCP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

Dan Dennis
Re: It is what it is...stay or move on
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:58:18 pm

So, the question is - are you sticking with FCP or moving on to Avid?

And agreed, ranting and raving serves no useful purpose, but new issues are being discovered every day, so sometimes rehashing old ground to bring people up to speed is helpful. My two cents.

"A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." -- Robert Heinlein

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:38:53 pm

After 5 years with MC and 12 with Avid DS, no way in hell would I ever go back. Im learning Adobe Premiere Pro which works hand in glove with After Effects. And since I need to do lots of motion graphics, its perfect for me. And very similar to FCP 7, but supercharged.

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:01:31 pm

I wonder though, those that feel strongly, are doing so at the prospect of having to buy into another NLE. These things aren't cheap. Moving can be a costly adventure. And the alternative is to stick with discontinued product with an impending update that could spell some trouble...

So the option to sit on your dying NLE in the meantime could be fermenting a lot hostility at what has occurred and might take a little to a lot more time to have to digest...

Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:43:18 pm

Jaime - " I wonder though, those that feel strongly, are doing so at the prospect of having to buy into another NLE. These things aren't cheap. Moving can be a costly adventure. And the alternative is to stick with discontinued product with an impending update that could spell some trouble..."

Actually for me I already had Adobe CS5 on my system. And it works just like FCP with the AJA Kona 3 that I have as well. So in this case, little to no immediate investment was needed to try out and explore the software. And EFX work I do is in AE so the library of plugins still are accessible and don't need replacing. Cheap!

Tom Daigon

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:20:44 pm

Lucky. I'm stuck on CS5 for the time being, I really don't like soundbooth that much, but I have Logic 8 (which I'm now extremely worried about) and STP to tide me over...

A couple of editors I have talked to, and this may shock you, are even more upset than me...mostly because they feel like they waited when they could have made the transition earlier and now it will cost them more. Most have said they had the impression from Apple that this would replace FCP not re-define it and make it obsolete to their workflow...I share that view. Apple I think has been very disingenuous...

They are just as mad today as they were a week ago. To me, either that says a lot, or says it will take a lot more time for this shockwave to settle...

Return to posts index

Paul Escamilla
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:55:37 pm

I already downloaded a trial version of Avid. I learned to edit on it, and our Boston office uses it, so I may go back to it. On the other hand, Premiere looks attractive too. I will download a trial of it today and give it a spin.

But i don't think there's a chance in hell of me wasting money on FCX.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:44:52 pm

I find a couple of gripes and I still prefer FC in many ways, in the timeline, but the transition will be a quick one. I edited a couple of features and Docs on 1.5 and had a good time on it. CS5 is huge step forward too and is what FCX should essentially have been, but better...imo.

Return to posts index

Greg Burke
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:03:14 pm

Moving to avid 5.5 and looking into premiere, also looking into PC towers mac is going to chop the macros in the next 2 years or so. Apple and third party deveplors can add as many improvements as they want to Fcp x, but the damage has been done and I don't think any post professional house will ever use fcpx for anything but web based projects.

I wear many hats.
http://www.gregburkepost.com

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:50:59 pm

Yup. But honestly, for me, it really is this timeline. I can't edit in it. I just can't. I want to punch it in the face. Even if all the features were there in terms of i/o, I'd still want to punch the thing in the face.

I just don't get it. I don't feel like an editor in it. I don't want to hear I'll one day "get it"...or I'm afraid of it...I simply don't *enjoy* using it...I find it to be so heartless...it'll never be in my arsenal unless absolutely forced on me by a client...and even then, I'll want to chase them off my lawn..

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:32:36 pm

me too, me too.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:00:18 pm

Very interesting perspectives from all of you. I never learned Avid at all and had several good years of FCP work. Now I am learning MC 5.5, and oddly enough I find it makes me feel more like an "editor" than FCP ever did. In comparison, FCP feels like a crippled graphic/block ordering program. Premiere has a nice middle group feel to it... but MC5.5 feels like a real "cut and tell the story" type machine if you can master all the shortcuts. Not sure why that is though... and just in case someone disagrees: yes, this is only my personal opinion.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]