FORUMS: list search recent posts

OTish: Motion on multiple machines

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
OTish: Motion on multiple machines
on Sep 14, 2014 at 6:53:27 pm

Hey all -

Is Motion like FCPX that once you buy it, you can load it on different computers? I have two laptops that I use for editing (one tricked out MBPr for heavy lifting and a MBa for light work). Can I have the software on both, paying just once? Or is it a paid license per machine?

Thanks in advance.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: OTish: Motion on multiple machines
on Sep 14, 2014 at 7:28:25 pm

As I understand it Apple Store download will function on 5 instances of your Apple acct. This is governed by the Apple store rules, not particular software.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 15, 2014 at 12:06:54 am

[Bret Williams] "As I understand it Apple Store download will function on 5 instances of your Apple acct. This is governed by the Apple store rules, not particular software"

I don't believe there's actually a 5 machine limit. I think that applies to iTunes songs under DRM, which doesn't apply to most songs anymore. The EULA for a private user says for all machines that you personally have direct control over. So technically any personal machine qualifies under this definition.

If you are a business owner, it's technically only one install for each separate machine. You can't be the owner of a facility and have 20 machines that you actually paid for, but install any App Store software on all of them with a single purchase. Yes, I know this is done and seems to work, however, it violates the EULA.

In Scott's case, it wouldn't be a problem as far as I know.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 15, 2014 at 4:04:55 am

5 computers. Here's the details from Apple. The key phrase is in bold. Your apple ID can only be associated with 5 computers at any time.

iTunes Store: Associating a device or computer to your Apple ID
When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID. This article describes how to manage these associations.

When you turn on iTunes Match or Automatic Downloads, or when you download past purchases on an iOS device or computer, that device or computer becomes associated with your Apple ID. Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it, with a maximum of 5 computers at any time. Each computer must also be authorized using the same Apple ID. Once a device or computer is associated with your Apple ID, you cannot associate that device or computer with another Apple ID for 90 days. You can view which devices or computers are currently associated with your Apple ID, remove unused devices or computers, and view how many days remain before the devices or computers can be associated with a different Apple ID from the Account Information page in iTunes on your computer:

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 15, 2014 at 12:09:10 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Sep 15, 2014 at 12:14:03 pm

That's specific to iTunes and music downloads. Not apps.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4461

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 15, 2014 at 2:21:26 pm

Well a computer has to be associated with an AppleID to download / update FCPX, and you can only have 5 computers at one time associated with an AppleID, so wouldn't that limit you?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 15, 2014 at 2:37:16 pm

[Bret Williams] "Well a computer has to be associated with an AppleID to download / update FCPX, and you can only have 5 computers at one time associated with an AppleID, so wouldn't that limit you?"

I've personally seen this exceeded a number of times, so I don't believe that it works the same way for the iTunes Store as for the App Store.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Sep 14, 2014 at 10:16:47 pm

The answer is Yes. The same goes for Compressor.

And, Like FCPX but unlike FCP7, they can even run at the same time on the same network.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 15, 2014 at 12:07:55 am

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "The answer is Yes. The same goes for Compressor."

This actually applies to all applications purchased via the App Store, not just Apple's.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]